First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic
Country flag
So, I drive a 2016 honda civic that I recently purchased back in December
I love the car and (when it's working) it runs really well. I have seen some people on here having issues with their brake system lights and I have become one of them. My light has come on 6 times now and I swear ive spent $2000 on the repairs. I just wanted to explain my problems and get a second opinion before i take it in once again.

So, whenever the light goes on I'm either at a stoplight or in a drive thru holding my break and the brake hold lights go on, go away, and then the brake system light comes on with the red brake light and I have to turn my car off a couple times to get it to go away. Whenever it comes on my brakes are super soft and its harder to stop and my car almost like.. Lags if that makes sense? My brake hold light doesn't work whenever it's on but maybe I just dont know how to work it?

Ive been told that nothing was wrong, that it's because my tires are lower and civics are picky, that I needed to replace something and spent $300 and then that it was my vcs(or vsc or whatever) system needs replacing and did that. I'm unsure if at this point my system needs an update or what? Can someone give me advice?
Sponsored

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Well... the entire brake system is all interconnected with the ABS, electric parking brake, and the brake hold actuator/whatever it's called.

Since you're experiencing a soft pedal when the light comes on; maybe there's a vacuum leak or something amiss with the brake hold system. I believe they are related/connected. And complicated.

I'm sorry that you've paid that much so far with no solution. I don't know if this system error trips an error code in the system; but I'd have someone connect a scanner and check that first.

I'm not sure what 'lower tires' means. Lower pressure? The car's suspension has been lowered?

Lastly... has anything been spilled on the console where the brake hold button is located? More than one person here has had an issue with a sticky button.

Just my thoughts. Hopefully they may spark an idea or ring a bell. Good luck.

OP
OP

Cjpbird

First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic
Country flag
Well... the entire brake system is all interconnected with the ABS, electric parking brake, and the brake hold actuator/whatever it's called.

Since you're experiencing a soft pedal when the light comes on; maybe there's a vacuum leak or something amiss with the brake hold system. I believe they are related/connected. And complicated.

I'm sorry that you've paid that much so far with no solution. I don't know if this system error trips an error code in the system; but I'd have someone connect a scanner and check that first.

I'm not sure what 'lower tires' means. Lower pressure? The car's suspension has been lowered?

Lastly... has anything been spilled on the console where the brake hold button is located? More than one person here has had an issue with a sticky button.

Just my thoughts. Hopefully they may spark an idea or ring a bell. Good luck.
Sorry let me clarify.. Low pressure in the tires. And there has not been any liquid spilled in my console at all!

shoegazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If the brake hold button feels normal when you operate it (not sticky/difficult to press or slow to return); I'd inflate the tires to the recommended pressure and see if the issue goes away.

Did you buy the car from a private seller? Does it have evidence of being modified? And are you intentionally running the tires at a lower pressure? Any other mods?

OP
OP

Cjpbird

First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic
Country flag
If the brake hold button feels normal when you operate it (not sticky/difficult to press or slow to return); I'd inflate the tires to the recommended pressure and see if the issue goes away.

Did you buy the car from a private seller? Does it have evidence of being modified? And are you intentionally running the tires at a lower pressure? Any other mods?
The brake hold button doesn't feel sticky but it doesn't work or turn on the hold button.

I bought from a private dealership but they are closed during quarantine and I don't have a warranty. The car shows no evidence of modification and I am not running the tires low.. I just know I have had issues with my tires when I got the car and have been told that that's the issue so im unsure.

shoegazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So what trim level is your Civic? Does it have Honda Sensing?

shoegazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Okay.

I'd start at the top of the list and check the brake fluid level in the master cylinder and check/correct the tire pressure.

Basically... one simple problem with anything in the braking system can and will trigger all the other ones. But since you're not reporting an ABS System error (light on the dash) and the brake pedal changes it's feel; I'm thinking that the issue is with the power braking system. It uses vacuum pressure to help push the brake pads. The brake assist uses it too, I understand.

If you bought the car from a non-honda place; they could have replaced the brake pads without adjusting the electric brake equipment. Or they could have done any number of things under the hood (like knocking a vacuum hose loose) when preparing the car for sale.

I'd find an independent mechanic that specializes on Hondas or go to a Honda dealership for a diagnostic. I don't think it's a huge mystery. But it sounds like your previous mechanics were just guessing. Hondas are kinda picky with all of the electronic sensors and integrated computer systems. But someone who works on them everyday should be able to search for an error code or have an educated guess re: the issue.

You'll be obligated to pay for the diagnostic service. But you don't have to hire Honda to do the repair.

I'm not a mechanic. So this is all just my opinion.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would take it to a reputable brake shop to have them check your brake system because it sounds like a vacuum leak or a fluid leak or possible air in the lines. Sounds like the dealer is not even checking anything and just throwing parts at it hoping you won't notice their incompetence.
Sponsored