Sam3

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CW CTR
Country flag
My brakes often squeal (high pitched whistling sound) when I'm not using the brakes. Once I feather the brakes, the squeal is gone. I searched here and in other places and all I can find is squeal when the brake peddle is depressed (kinda expected on performance brakes). Mine is the opposite. I talked to the dealer and he checked the brakes and said everything looks fine. He said sometimes pebbles get lodged in the brake assembly and cause the squeal. But for me it's happening like 30% of the time I drive it, and it's becoming very annoying. Like everyone in my neighborhood goes: "hear comes Sam".

Have you guys heard of or encountered such a problem? Is there a solution for it? It's not acceptable for a new, stock car to have this issue. I owned another car with Brembos and it didn't exhibit that behavior.
Sponsored

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
It’s a rock in the brake shield. Happens to almost every R owner sooner or later. It behaves exactly as you describe.

haltamer

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 (UK / RHD!)
Country flag
Hm, Usually what you'd expect from the wear tang, but obviously not the case here.

How many miles have you done; Is the initial bedding in period complete? - Could well be (In fact is most likely) a rock, worth giving the steering a hard shake and some aggressive starts / stops somewhere empty to dislodge.

OP
OP
Sam3

Sam3

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CW CTR
Country flag
Thanks, I appreciate the input. I have about 8K miles on it already (can't stop driving this car, I enjoy it so much).

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
Rock probably. I live on a dirt road. I'm shocked it happens as infrequently as it does, but it's very distinctive.

Simplex123

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 SGP FK8
Country flag
Is there any remedy or ways to prevent this?
And to remove, you'll probably need to remove the wheel and remove that small little rock right, only for it to come back the next day lol

Is the rock usually stuck between the shield and the rotor?

Jadohz

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R (R-42864)
Country flag
Replied to another thread about this, gonna go ahead and copy and paste that over here...

Had the same problem a week ago, literally picked up my CTR brand new a week and a half ago with only 8 miles. There's a few things you can try to get rid of it,

1. Take the wheel off and see if you can find the rock/pebble between the rotor and dust shield and pick it out with a flathead screwdriver

2. Use a pressure washer from a local car wash and try to spray it out

3. Go to an empty street/parking lot and just drive forward and in reverse

I tried pressure washing mine out and had no luck, it ended up falling out on a drive home from work. Good Luck!

i.am.anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 2.0 SPT CVT
Country flag
I actually stumbled upon this because I had the same problem on my car as well.
But I finally fixed it.

After numerous checks for rocks between the dust shield, nothing, no rocks.
I finally got the thought that my pads could be possibly glazed after 2,500-3,000 miles. Well turns out it was very very very slightly, part of the pad towards the upper part was glazed, I’d say it was about 0.1 inch if that.

I grabbed a piece of 80 grit sand paper and lightly sanded the indifferences from the pad as well as lightly going over the entire surface of the pad.

In case you ask, I did both pads from the front driver side.

After doing so, NO MORE SQUEAK!
Sponsored