First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR
Country flag
Hey Guys,

So recently swapped over to Akebono Pads about 1K ago. Great pads and my second set I have had on this car. However I have a very annoying grinding/squealing only coming from my driver side that happens after the car is “warm”. I was thinking something is expanding due to heat but can’t think of what it is. Then this morning it did it cold, so now I’m confused.

I have had the little pebble problems and the dust shield grinding issues however it’s neither of those. I was wondering if anyone has ever had this and or thoughts?
Sponsored

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
Hey Guys,

So recently swapped over to Akebono Pads about 1K ago. Great pads and my second set I have had on this car. However I have a very annoying grinding/squealing only coming from my driver side that happens after the car is “warm”. I was thinking something is expanding due to heat but can’t think of what it is. Then this morning it did it cold, so now I’m confused.

I have had the little pebble problems and the dust shield grinding issues however it’s neither of those. I was wondering if anyone has ever had this and or thoughts?
Did you put some brake lube on the back of the pads/shims?

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Could be a dragging brake/sticking caliper - After driving a bit see if that wheel is warmer or hotter than the rest. Usually happens to us after a winter or two in the "rust belt".

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
I’ll give it a go. Weird how is only one side?
It happens, tiny variations in pad material between pads, the angle the pads are biting at, plus the rotor. But for ceramics to make noise is not very common. You can try the CRC brake quite, re-lubing everything, and you can try grinding down the edges of the pad a bit so it’s not a so sharp, I’ve seen that work a few times too. Ignore the blurry photo it’s off google, but grind down the edges of the pad circled to about a 45° angle. If that doesn’t solve it, then your options are to live with it or get a new set of pads

Honda Civic 10th gen Brake Squeal (NOT A ROCK) 1E9BE61F-F49E-459F-8495-999029127153

CnoEVO

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R, 2021 Cadillac Escalade
Country flag
Hey Guys,

I have the exact same issue with my akebono rear pads I had installed 500 miles ago. Squeals at low speeds normally once warm when I’m not pressing the brake pedal.

ATM

First Name
ATM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
After a few months of Akebono pads, I love that there's no dust but they squeal so bad.
Changing it up soon.
I have the exact same issue with my akebono rear pads I had installed 500 miles ago. Squeals at low speeds normally once warm when I’m not pressing the brake pedal.
replaced my brakes with akebona ceramic pads front and rears a week ago. the rear passenger side squeal ONLY when driving under 20mph, then goes away higher speeds. the squeal goes away when braking on low speeds too.

thought maybe after a week daily driving it would go away but still squeals.
suggest i should just switch the rear pads?

kk1101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
Sorry I have to revive this old thread since I'm having the same issue.

I recently put on Akebono ACT1878 on the rears. The rotor doesn't have deep grooves and are more than 10mm thick (minimum to replace is 9mm), so I didn't resurface or change the rotor. Just pad slap and put some brake lube on the metal contacting points. I bed in the pads with a few 35 to 5 and 50 to 5 mph braking. And I'm having a high pitch noise from both side rear pads under 25mph when I'm not appling brake at all. (I've checked my brake dust shields and there's no pebble there.)

For those of you who had the same issue, did you resurface you rotors or used new rotors with the Akebono pads? I'm thinking if I should try put on new rotors or just replace the pads with another brand.

Does the Akebono front pads make the same noise? I have a set of new ASP1001 front pads that I'm hesitant to put on.

bigbacon

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
After a few months of Akebono pads, I love that there's no dust but they squeal so bad.
Changing it up soon.
this is what I had to do with my last set. it made me so mad the squeal was horrendous. Dealt with it for a year. Went back to stop tech pads and squeal is gone.
Sponsored