First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Accord, 2018 Pilot, 2017 Si, 2018 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I've been searching the forums a bit, and I think I've found at the reason for my problem, but no solution. I did two days at the track this weekend with a total of 7 session of thirty minutes each. On the way home, I noticed a shuddering sound from the brakes under moderate braking at highway speed There is also some noise at low speed but less pronounced and nothing under heavy braking. From what I've read this is probably due to brake material embedded in the rotors. Sadly, I can't pull my wheels yet, because I've lost my wheel lock key. Should have a new one by Friday.

These pictures are terrible, but It appears the rears are pretty close to done, but the fronts are in good shape. Do the rotors look like they have embedded material, or can you see that?

The real question is, how do I fix this? I saw some kind of Alcon Kit that supposed to resurface the rotor, but I don't think we're supposed to do that with drilled rotors. One suggestion was to replace the pads. I can see doing the rears, but the fronts? Also do I go back with stock pads?

Honda Civic 10th gen Brake shudder after track weekend IMG_9059

Honda Civic 10th gen Brake shudder after track weekend IMG_9060

Honda Civic 10th gen Brake shudder after track weekend IMG_9061

Honda Civic 10th gen Brake shudder after track weekend IMG_9062

Honda Civic 10th gen Brake shudder after track weekend IMG_9063

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
Correct, Drilled rotors cant be "turned". You can blow the pad material out of the holes if you like though.

Replace rear pads. They look pretty thin.

My experience with tracking is not to start an event especially a multi-day event) with pads thinner than the backing plate. And if you do, bring a spare set of pads with you.

The shuddering could be either bad pads or bad rotors. Tracking puts a lot of heat into the brakes. And those pesky rear rotors/pads are both small and thin to begin with. Combine that with any VSC left on in the background, and the rears are a common quickly consumed item. Be sure to "bed in" your new pads as this will help extend track wear.

OP
OP
Nanook

Nanook

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Correct, Drilled rotors cant be "turned". You can blow the pad material out of the holes if you like though.

Replace rear pads. They look pretty thin.

My experience with tracking is not to start an event especially a multi-day event) with pads thinner than the backing plate. And if you do, bring a spare set of pads with you.

The shuddering could be either bad pads or bad rotors. Tracking puts a lot of heat into the brakes. And those pesky rear rotors/pads are both small and thin to begin with. Combine that with any VSC left on in the background, and the rears are a common quickly consumed item. Be sure to "bed in" your new pads as this will help extend track wear.
Yeah the product I referenced wasn't turning them, just kind of polishing I think. https://alconkits.com/alcon-brake-tools/brake-rotor-shudder-fix-and-surface-conditioning-kit-detail

Thanks for the input, I agree the back pads probably need replacing. It's funny to me that my car has less than 5k miles and I'm replacing pads. I'm pretty sure that's where the noise is coming from too.

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
Yeah the product I referenced wasn't turning them, just kind of polishing I think. https://alconkits.com/alcon-brake-tools/brake-rotor-shudder-fix-and-surface-conditioning-kit-detail

Thanks for the input, I agree the back pads probably need replacing. It's funny to me that my car has less than 5k miles and I'm replacing pads. I'm pretty sure that's where the noise is coming from too.
Lol.. I took my then new WRX wagon to Watkins Glen for a fun track weekend with friends. Dealer didn't get how I could have used up my pads in less than 2 months! lol. I said "i don't know either.. the cars practically new.. but if this is how the car is, it might not be mine for long!"

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I had the same issue driving home from 2 track days at Watkins Glen recently. It went away after a few hundred miles of highway driving, so it must have been pad material stuck to the rotors. The pads are gone and I am replacing the rotors anyway, but I'm sure the rotors didn't get unwarped so it must have been stuff on the rotors. Hawk HPS+ pads, which I won't use again.

GeezR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Type R, Caterham, VW Touareg, Chevy Volt
Country flag
Seems to be a common problem and one which I am also suffering with after 3 track days. In olden times, front brakes wore out much more quickly than the rears since they did 80% of the stopping. Now, with stability management applying the rear left, or rear right brakes independently to cause the car to rotate in the desired direction, the rears dont last very long, at least with heavy track use.

jetydosa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
Yeah its from the pad transfer. Just drive your normal day to day, it will take care of itself in a week or two.

OP
OP
Nanook

Nanook

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I got a good look yesterday in the direct sun and you can see the pad transfer line on the back pads.

View attachment 175600

Honda Civic 10th gen Brake shudder after track weekend 72B38197-793D-42A6-80F5-219189E58BFD

Honda Civic 10th gen Brake shudder after track weekend 09009D2A-080E-427A-9490-3F9439AB5D6A

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
OP
OP
Nanook

Nanook

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah its from the pad transfer. Just drive your normal day to day, it will take care of itself in a week or two.
Thanks!! That’s an answer I can live with. I’ve got new pads for the rear on order.

willskiGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #26262
Country flag
Those rear pads are fine for normal use, I would replace before going to the track again.

More importantly, turn VSA fully off when on track, otherwise you will eat rear pads from the system using the rear brakes for stability/turn-in assist.

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks!! That’s an answer I can live with. I’ve got new pads for the rear on order.
Also try millville motorsports park

OP
OP
Nanook

Nanook

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Those rear pads are fine for normal use, I would replace before going to the track again.

More importantly, turn VSA fully off when on track, otherwise you will eat rear pads from the system using the rear brakes for stability/turn-in assist.
Thanks. I kind of decided the same. I’ve got the new pads here to replace when it’s time though!!

The VSA I remembered to turn off for most of the first day. I was getting so excited towards the end of the second day I forgot.

OP
OP
Nanook

Nanook

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

veehexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK2R
Country flag
my understanding is pads have overheated and left deposits on the disc. i've had it every trackday and while it does clear after a few weeks, the pads are never the same. also looks like you've not got the brakes as hot as i do as the calipers aren't discoloured yet.
i've removed all dust sheilds, girodisc's and CL RC6e pads in prep for my next trackday mid-october so hopefully that'll fix it.

i've a suspicion that theres so much heat generated that standard sized pads are binding in the caliper. the CL pads are manufactured slightly undersized to cope with heat, but are noisy on the road (which i like)

OP
OP
Nanook

Nanook

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
my understanding is pads have overheated and left deposits on the disc. i've had it every trackday and while it does clear after a few weeks, the pads are never the same. also looks like you've not got the brakes as hot as i do as the calipers aren't discoloured yet.
i've removed all dust sheilds, girodisc's and CL RC6e pads in prep for my next trackday mid-october so hopefully that'll fix it.

i've a suspicion that theres so much heat generated that standard sized pads are binding in the caliper. the CL pads are manufactured slightly undersized to cope with heat, but are noisy on the road (which i like)
Good to know I’m not the only one. The noise is already settling down some. Sure is disconcerting at first though.
Sponsored