Brake Service

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm guessing your friend was speaking from his experience with some other Honda, since I think it's unlikely he would've gotten in a 2016 Civic that already needed new rear brake pads.
Islandblew write;
" My friend, a Honda technician told me that rear brakes are next to impossible to do without connecting the car to the "Honda Link" computer at the dealer "
----------
I will not go to this dealer.....
Sponsored

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
whatever you do don't go to Midas or Merlin or mieneke. Every time they've done my brakes I had a problem. They install cheap shitty aftermarket pads and rotors. Sometimes the rotors glaze and grind, sometimes you get pulsation of the brakes. Then they tell you that the brakes overheated because you stopped too fast!!!!!! I suggest you use only ceramic pads, preferably the OEM pads from Honda. You can get a set online for $44.00. And don't buy the cheap aftermarket rotors either. They're no good.

Lunar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
I can do front rotors and pads without issue, and I'm not very handy. Changing the rears seems possible from the video I saw, but I might just go to Honda since it's something that would be done once or twice in the lifetime of the car. I don't know if anyone else feels the same way.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The service manual for the rear pads just says to either pull the pistons back in using the Honda Link computer, or rotate them back into the caliper like any standard Honda. I'm guessing your friend was speaking from his experience with some other Honda, since I think it's unlikely he would've gotten in a 2016 Civic that already needed new rear brake pads.

Edit: here is the page from the service manual:

Untitled.png
Is this tool the same thing as the little square cube tool that fits on a ratchet extension and covers a few different types of pistons, or is it a Honda specific tool? Had one of those cube things and never ever had to use it lol

sirwired

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CR-V
Is this tool the same thing as the little square cube tool that fits on a ratchet extension and covers a few different types of pistons, or is it a Honda specific tool? Had one of those cube things and never ever had to use it lol
You can borrow a rear piston tool set for free from most autoparts stores with a tool rental program. (AutoZone, Advance, O'Reillys, etc.) Harbor Freight also has a set for sale, but I haven't seen it down to the $20 I paid a few years back; seems stuck at $40. Anyway, the rental kits work MUCH better than the cube.

Islandbiew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Nissan 240SX, 2011 Corolla S, 2013 civic LX, 2016 Civic LX
Country flag
I use one of these, it costs around $12 CDN.

Piston Tool.jpg
I use one of these, it costs around $12 CDN.

Piston Tool.jpg
Did you have any problems using this tool to wind in the piston (on a 2016 ); assume that the parking brake was not on. Did the car roll? Did you have wheel blocks?

And most inportantly, after the new pads were put on, did you have to do anything special to get the piston to compress the brakes?

Thanks for all your help.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You can borrow a rear piston tool set for free from most autoparts stores with a tool rental program. (AutoZone, Advance, O'Reillys, etc.) Harbor Freight also has a set for sale, but I haven't seen it down to the $20 I paid a few years back; seems stuck at $40. Anyway, the rental kits work MUCH better than the cube.
I actually bought that little square tool when everyone started asking me to do brake jobs, just in case I needed it. I've never had to use it,even on cars that I read I would need it like a Hyundai mini van for instance. Granted ,I've only dine brakes on about eight different cars, but I thought I would have needed it at some point.

fitter_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2016 Sedan
Country flag
Did you have any problems using this tool to wind in the piston (on a 2016 ); assume that the parking brake was not on. Did the car roll? Did you have wheel blocks?

And most inportantly, after the new pads were put on, did you have to do anything special to get the piston to compress the brakes?

Thanks for all your help.
No problems at all. I had to grind two (2) metal nipples on the tool, there is a side with four(4) nipples, just grind two and it fits perfectly.
No need for wheel block, you do one wheel at a time. Nothing special to do, just a normal brake job.
I lubricate all 4 brakes once a year, lots of calcium on our roads around here during the winter, this is a good thing to lubricate every year.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The service manual for the rear pads just says to either pull the pistons back in using the Honda Link computer, or rotate them back into the caliper like any standard Honda. I'm guessing your friend was speaking from his experience with some other Honda, since I think it's unlikely he would've gotten in a 2016 Civic that already needed new rear brake pads.

Edit: here is the page from the service manual:

Untitled.png

Can we use a good pliers to turn the cylinder ?
As show here ?

Honda Civic 10th gen Brake Service Capture d’écran 2018-04-24 à 03.53.58

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ya that sounds awful lol, thankfully I'm certain the back brakes are fine for a lot longer. They still look almost new, which makes sense because the back is only responsible for about 10% of braking.

2016 Civic LS with 15,000 miles, Rear brake both sides
They are worse than the picture show ; No disc brake grease IMO

Front brakes look new.

Honda Civic 10th gen Brake Service DSC06250
Sponsored