Brake Service?

nizarz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
I have just over 15000 kms on my 2017 Civic. Received an email from the dealership quoting an oil change price and also stating "It does appear looking at your service history that your next service should include front and rear brake service which would be an additional CAD$166+tax".

The only thing I have done on my car is the first oil change when it was around 8k kms.

Does anyone know if this is needed so soon after having a new car?. Plus does anyone know whats involved with "brake service"?
Sponsored

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I’m thinking abut taking my over 9 year old CR-V with about 120+ kmiles on the odometer for her first ever brake service. Food for thought.

Justinus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None.
The owners manual indicates the Maintenance Minder will show a code 7 when a blake fluid replacement is necessary.

They go on to say you should replace brake fluid when this code shows or every 36 months.

I don't think its been 36 months since they built your 2017 civic. They just want to make a buck.

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
Please ask your dealer to support his reasoning as to why and what they perform in the "brake service".. could be as little as an "inspection".. maybe a lube of the pins to keep squeaks away.. or maybe its a brake fluid flush.

Depending on who you believe, brake fluid should be flushed every 2-3 years. If a 2017, built late 2016, then you are at the 2 year window. Brake fluid absorbs moisture which can cause corrosion in the system.

While my last car went 200,000 miles before I replace the front rotors, I did get the fluid flushed every 2-3 years along the way. (and rear rotors were only good for about 80,000 miles). new cars with their bevy of alphabet lists of stability programs, primarily use the rear brakes to stabilize the car, and with rear brakes smaller than the front, this can accelerate rear brake wear. In the old days, it was the fronts that would wear out first.

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 4 door LX with CVT
Country flag
Look on the driver's door jamb and see when the car was built, month and year.

Add three years to that date and have the brake fluid changed.

The MM derives time from 12K mile intervals. 12K equals one year.

It should show a brake fluid code 7 at 36K on the odo no matter if you accumulated 36K in only two years.

Three years is three years no matter how many miles you've logged.

Dukester131

First Name
Jul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Do you have to go to Honda or can a regular mechanic do all this (even with all the technology now that Honda says only Honda can maintain) ?

caspar21

2018 Civic Si
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
brake service is needed.
it is a lube, adjustment and fluid flush.
reports supposedly say brakes sieze without this service.(this from honda service tech

TimberWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It behooves you to read your owners manual, especially the part about the maintenance minder and the required maintenance. Note that US and Canadian maintenance codes differ, so unless our American posters understand this, take their advice with a grain of salt.
Sponsored