Civic Disobedience

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 FK7 6MT (Hatch Sport)
Country flag
After you replace the pads and rotors, one way to prevent this from happening is maintaining and lubricating the pads and calipers regularly. Yes surface rust is unavoidable in some places but it’s usually wiped clean when the brakes are applied. The reason the ring of rust has formed around the outer edge is the brake pad is most likely jammed in the rear pad carrier.

You need to lubricate the tabs where the pads touch the carrier. Also the caliper sliding pins need to be lubricated regularly; super important since this design has the sliding pins mostly exposed.

It’s recommended every B service, but for places that salt the roads, I’d recommend it every A service instead, or at least every time you rotate tires.
Thanks for that tip! I lubed everything well when I put on the new rotors and pads. I got the PowerStop Evolution Geomet kit from RockAuto. The rotors are coated to resist rust and corrosion--they look pretty cool as well. I didn't feel the need for the drilled and slotted version, especially for my rear brakes. We'll see how it all holds up.
Sponsored

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
Thanks for that tip! I lubed everything well when I put on the new rotors and pads. I got the PowerStop Evolution Geomet kit from RockAuto. The rotors are coated to resist rust and corrosion--they look pretty cool as well. I didn't feel the need for the drilled and slotted version, especially for my rear brakes. We'll see how it all holds up.
I’m using those rotors mated with the Z26 and Z23 for the front and rear. They’re absolutely better than stock in terms of bite and dust.

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KW SC 2007 CSX Type S, 2023 PWP Si
Country flag
I’m using those rotors mated with the Z26 and Z23 for the front and rear. They’re absolutely better than stock in terms of bite and dust.
Looks like a good choice for street. Thinking to do the same. The stock ones are vibrating when braking at high speed.
Have you used or considered others?

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
Looks like a good choice for street. Thinking to do the same. The stock ones are vibrating when braking at high speed.
Have you used or considered others?
This is my first time changing the whole set on my car.

I was considering stoptech but they were beyond my budget.

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This is my first time changing the whole set on my car.

I was considering stoptech but they were beyond my budget.
Thanks! It's the first time I'm thinking to go with aftermarket brakes. All my previous Hondas had good enough brakes for street.
I find this strange since my 8th. generation is actually a bit heavier...

razz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sentra
Country flag
Looking for brake replacement, have a EX 2017 civic, and do city driving. Also planning to do uber with passangers, so extra weight there. Which brakes would be best.

PowerStop Evolution Sport $334 CAD
or
PowerStop Evolution Geomet $205 CAD

1 Are the extra holes in the Sport model necessary?
2 How are your PowerStop breaks and pads compare to OEM? Some forums praise the OEM brakes.
3. Also notices the Sport version have little rubber boots for the slider pin perhaps? The Geomet does not have the boots.

Civic Disobedience

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 FK7 6MT (Hatch Sport)
Country flag
A year ago, I replaced the front rotors: https://www.amazon.com/Detroit-Axle-Drilled-Slotted-Replacement/dp/B09HKN5R31 For around $100USD, they're a great deal. Pads were included, but the order shipped with REAR pads. I wanted a pad upgrade anyway, so I went with Akebono ProACT 914A.

Not only did I notice a significant improvement over OEM, I just got back from my first track experience. Over 100 miles in 2 hours of 20 minute sessions. The brakes were fantastic, with the only hiccup being on the final round, when I cooked my brake fluid. Didn't expect that! Completely boiled over. Fortunately, the rest of the system checked out okay, and I replaced the fluid with VP Racing's 622 fluid, which has a much higher boiling point.

Two guys were out at track day with identical TLX Type S models. Both cooked their stock brakes (I didn't find out exactly what happened), and they didn't get to participate in the final 2-3 rounds. Their Acuras could definitely generate more speed and grip than my Civic, but I was keeping pace with them. Until their brakes let them down, that is.

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I switched cars a couple of months ago and noticed that the slightly larger Si brakes do a great job.
If I still had the Hatch I'd have given
them a try...
Sponsored