tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I don't have much experience either way. Currently running Hawk HPS 5.0 pads that I found on Amazon for 200 bucks (front and rear). Rotors were fine when I swapped them at like 32k miles, so I'm still on stock rotors. I'm really happy with them. They feel a lot like stock with their initial bite and stopping power for me still, for everyday driving it's more than enough.
Sponsored

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
My rears were done by 16k, well at least just about to the metal screechy tab when I swapped. I never tracked but did a ton of spirited driving. And did a bunch of quick kinds of turns that understeer for a split second then the rear brake bites in addition to going off throttle and swings you around nice and tight

I usually leave vsa on to save my tires unless I'm at a red light and can tell someone next to me is froggy or will try to cut me off. Or when it's hot out and the tires stick better. Even at 8% wheel slip and 8mph traction control in the winter, vsa will still step in and ruin it if I get sloppy and smash the throttle in the mid range in 2nd and 3rd.

Plan to swap out front rotors to girodiscs when the time comes. The rears I'm no too worried about.

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI, 2018 ABM CTR R-17001
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The car definitely uses the brake a lot to do some funky things. We did a test at an autoX in the wet running the car in +R VSA off vs pedal dance to put the car in basically everything off(including the brake actuated yaw control), and its a very noticeable difference in how the car behaves. In the +R VSA Off the car will turn in, and feel like someone yanked the e-brake and you are catching an oversteer a fraction of a second later. In dry this is not nearly as dramatic but its really eye opening in the wet.

willskiGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #26262
Country flag
OEM rotors are pretty cheap, or you can go on RockAuto and find some non-drilled ones for cheap as well. The starting thickness of OEM is 32mm and minimum is 30mm - if it's at 40% life (30.8mm) or more I would not mess with replacing at this time.

OP
OP

Florence_NC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
The car definitely uses the brake a lot to do some funky things. We did a test at an autoX in the wet running the car in +R VSA off vs pedal dance to put the car in basically everything off(including the brake actuated yaw control), and its a very noticeable difference in how the car behaves. In the +R VSA Off the car will turn in, and feel like someone yanked the e-brake and you are catching an oversteer a fraction of a second later. In dry this is not nearly as dramatic but its really eye opening in the wet.
Is the torque vectoring still operating any in R+ long push?

OP
OP

Florence_NC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
OEM rotors are pretty cheap, or you can go on RockAuto and find some non-drilled ones for cheap as well. The starting thickness of OEM is 32mm and minimum is 30mm - if it's at 40% life (30.8mm) or more I would not mess with replacing at this time.
Yeah, I had considered just doing OEMs as a replacement. They are about $160, so competitive with other high performance rotors. I don't have any complaints with the OEMs for DD, OEMs are going to fit and work just like they should, so why reinvent the wheel?

jdm_94

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Type R & 14 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Do you guys really need a $800 rotor set for a daily!!!???

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
Rockauto sells the oe brembos fronts for $88 a piece. They also come with a 24 month 24k mike warranty (lol). But seriously that is real cheap...

tiredoftrio

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ex-l, 1968 dodge GTS, 1969 dodge superbee
Country flag
Has anyone bought the rotors off rock auto? What about the power stop rear rotors?

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR - 2020 Acura RDX A-Spec
Country flag
Still got the part number for the rears you bought, or the link to the ones you found? Hows the brake dust? Looking to stay away from OEM because of brake dust when I swap my rears out.

I don't have much experience either way. Currently running Hawk HPS 5.0 pads that I found on Amazon for 200 bucks (front and rear). Rotors were fine when I swapped them at like 32k miles, so I'm still on stock rotors. I'm really happy with them. They feel a lot like stock with their initial bite and stopping power for me still, for everyday driving it's more than enough.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Still got the part number for the rears you bought, or the link to the ones you found? Hows the brake dust? Looking to stay away from OEM because of brake dust when I swap my rears out.
Here is the link to the rears. The part number is HB900B.572.
Here is the link to the fronts. The part number is HB453B.585.

I bought them both off of Amazon since the price was cheap. Unfortunately, it's the time of the year when snow, salt, grit, dirt, and everything else coats your car and wheels. So I really can't comment on brake dust unfortunately. I mainly bought them for the silence over the stock brakes under light loads, and that they have fixed up.

OP
OP

Florence_NC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
Rockauto sells the oe brembos fronts for $88 a piece. They also come with a 24 month 24k mike warranty (lol). But seriously that is real cheap...
Yeah, I had not seen hat price yet. If they are real Brembos then that makes my choice an easy one. About $300 for a set of 5.0 pads and new Brembo rotors every 40k, I can live with that.
Sponsored