First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #330, '17 Jeep GC Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My rear pads are getting low and will need to be replaced soon. The OEM pads seem to be way overpriced. I do not plan on tracking my car anytime soon so most of my driving is spirited street driving. I am looking for brake pads that match or exceed the performance of the OEM pads. What is everyone going with?
Sponsored

nxt3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Bump. Same thing as you--I'm not tracking it but still appreciate the stopping power of the OEM pads.

CXRB17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan LX, '17 CTR (PA Signed in WI, ETA 5/31-6/7, Blue)
Country flag
Bump. Same thing as you--I'm not tracking it but still appreciate the stopping power of the OEM pads.
Same. Dealer told me im at 10 percent today and I’m definitely looking for something that might last longer and also perform better. Any recommendations?

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
My pads are still good but I'm curious - should we stick to stock? Or has someone found other pads they can recommend?

Estoril4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatchback Sport Mt, 2017 Toyota 4runner XP, 2014 Audi S4, 2017 CBP Type R
Country flag
Am I correct in assuming not a lot of people have installed after markets?

CXRB17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan LX, '17 CTR (PA Signed in WI, ETA 5/31-6/7, Blue)
Country flag
Am I correct in assuming not a lot of people have installed after markets?
I’m in the process now of going aftermarket rotors and pads. It is my daily and I would like to get more than 14-15k miles out of pads ideally.

Going to hawk performance carbon ceramic and slotted and drilled rotors. Will update in a week or so when I receive them and they’re installed

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
Any reason (apart from the squeeling) why I shouldn't run the stock ones? I have a service appointment to replace all 4 pads tomorrow at Honda with OEM pads. The pads lasted 14K of daily driving (stop and go) and 1 track day. Sounds like not a bad lifetime to me.

Estoril4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatchback Sport Mt, 2017 Toyota 4runner XP, 2014 Audi S4, 2017 CBP Type R
Country flag
Any reason (apart from the squeeling) why I shouldn't run the stock ones? I have a service appointment to replace all 4 pads tomorrow at Honda with OEM pads. The pads lasted 14K of daily driving (stop and go) and 1 track day. Sounds like not a bad lifetime to me.
Honestly I cant think of many besides noise and life.. the brakes on this car are fantastic and feel great. I replaced my audis with ceramics because at slow speeds it would put your face through the windshield with the tiniest of input, improved feel and reduced dust but definitely didnt improve performance

caspar21

2018 Civic Si
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
I’m in the process now of going aftermarket rotors and pads. It is my daily and I would like to get more than 14-15k miles out of pads ideally.

Going to hawk performance carbon ceramic and slotted and drilled rotors. Will update in a week or so when I receive them and they’re installed
15k on oem pads? i hope you are tracking that beast. i am on 28k miles on my oem pads and they have lots of life left. i do a lot of downshifting and coasting but also autocross it.

nxt3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
In my opinion, that's awful (hence the thread). Pads should last easily 2-3x that. That's why I'm not going to use OEM pads again. All my mileage was daily commuting (mostly highway) with zero track days. Plus, with the pads I'm buying, I think I'll end up saving a bit of money over OEM.

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI, 2018 ABM CTR R-17001
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
15k on oem pads? i hope you are tracking that beast. i am on 28k miles on my oem pads and they have lots of life left. i do a lot of downshifting and coasting but also autocross it.
I think Type R has pretty aggressive compound....I've heard multiple accounts of stock pads lasting less than 12k miles without tracking....

I mainly don't want to mess with how the brake works so far so I am not planning to experiment on pad, I am at 10k miles and the rear definitely looks pretty worn. OE pads are pretty noisy and dusty though.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
aren't you in a Si? not a type R...doubt oem Si pads are that great...I've owned an Si before.

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lotus Exige; 2018 & 2021 Honda Type R
Country flag
If you want stock feel (maybe slightly more) with more durability for heat and easier on a rotor... Carbotech 1521.

You can't ever go wrong with carbotech. I picked up a set of carbotech XP8 with some centric rotors that I'm going to throw on this weekend or next week depending on the weather here in Michigan.
Sponsored