Brake overheating using 18" rims on track?

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
I am coming from a C5Z06 Corvette which is a lovely car but has totally inadequate brakes. The OEM brakes on the CTR are vastly better but I notice that most folks will go to 18" rims for track use for multiple reasons.

Question is, does the decreased space between the outer edge of the rotor and inner surface of an 18" wheel decrease the cooling effect of the rotors? Obviously less air flow means less cooling but may be it isn't significant.
Sponsored

RedGiant217

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord
Country flag
I have not tracked mine, but my understanding is that those who do, are switching to better brakes since OEM rotors warp quickly.

OP
OP

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have not tracked mine, but my understanding is that those who do, are switching to better brakes since OEM rotors warp quickly.
Often when people think their rotors are warped, it is actually just uneven deposits of pad material that add to the shuddering sensation at the pedal and may result in the ABS being activated too aggressively.

That being said, the 2 piece rotors with aluminum hats seems to be quite significantly lighter and decrease rotating mass at the wheel which is a big advantage.

-JP-

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 CTR, '06 RSX-S, '10 MDX, '01 Sequoia
Country flag
Often when people think their rotors are warped, it is actually just uneven deposits of pad material that add to the shuddering sensation at the pedal and may result in the ABS being activated too aggressively.
Hit the nail on the head. OEM rotors are fine, but once you start PB'n, or happened to be a seasoned vet, the pads will smear due to overheating. For light track duty OEM pads are fine, but should upgrade to a Winmax W5, or similar pad. They don't smear with hard braking and stopping force is much, much better. Helps if you like to brake late on track.

kilo959

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R; 1995 Nissan Hardbody
Country flag
If I had to guess, the rotors are fine, I'd focus on changing the pads to a track oriented material.

OP
OP

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If I had to guess, the rotors are fine, I'd focus on changing the pads to a track oriented material.
My original question concerned whether the smaller diameter 18" rim decreases air flow enough compared to the 20" rim to inhibit brake cooling given that the rotor is a fair size. Certainly for track use, you need track pads. I am partial to Raybestos ST43 myself but there are plenty of others.

-JP-

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 CTR, '06 RSX-S, '10 MDX, '01 Sequoia
Country flag
My original question concerned whether the smaller diameter 18" rim decreases air flow enough compared to the 20" rim to inhibit brake cooling given that the rotor is a fair size. Certainly for track use, you need track pads. I am partial to Raybestos ST43 myself but there are plenty of others.
ST43 are top notch.
Sponsored