Brake Issue under Warranty?

SpoolAndGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX CVT
Country flag
I brought my two year old Hatchback to the dealer for a state inspection. They failed it because my rear calipers are sticking and causing an oscillating/rubbing sound (which I've heard lately while driving). They wanted to clean/grease the calipers, resurface my rotors and do an alignment because the rear wheels are showing some outer wear.

I asked if this was covered under the 3 year/36,000 mile warranty and they said no. The quote was for $365 so I left without having anything done. Should this be covered under the warranty? The car is two years old and has 25,000 miles on it.
Sponsored

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (MSM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I brought my two year old Hatchback to the dealer for a state inspection. They failed it because my rear calipers are sticking and causing an oscillating/rubbing sound (which I've heard lately while driving). They wanted to clean/grease the calipers, resurface my rotors and do an alignment because the rear wheels are showing some outer wear.

I asked if this was covered under the 3 year/36,000 mile warranty and they said no. The quote was for $365 so I left without having anything done. Should this be covered under the warranty? The car is two years old and has 25,000 miles on it.
My understanding is this: tires, filters, brake pads and clutches (expendables) are NOT covered under the 36/36k warranty.
However, if they claim the calipers are sticking, then I would be of the belief that it IS under warranty. (see below, taken from a Honda Dealership website located in Brandon, MS)
I would not be of the belief that the rear calipers would be considered "normal wear and tear".
I think they are trying to hose you, and that you need to demand that they point out exactly where, in the Honda Warranty, that your calipers aren't covered by the 36/36k warranty. Repairing/Replacing stuck calipers is not (in my opinion) an adjustment. A caliper being stuck is due to inadequate lubrication or a mechanical malfunction of the caliper ... not an adjustment.

I might also recommend that you visit another Honda Dealership in your area (if one is available) to see what they have to say about it. They may take care of it, under warranty, without the hassle.

Good Luck

Every Honda factory warranty includes the New Vehicle Limited Warranty for 3 years or 36,000 miles–whichever comes first.
One of the most common questions we get is whether tires are covered under the Honda factory warranty.
While this warranty will cover some repairs — like your battery — it doesn’t cover the tires. Though this Honda basic warranty covers a lot,
there are some things that the New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover. These include normal wear and tear or deterioration of any part,
cleaning and polishing, the adding of fluids (unless they’re needed as part of a warranty repair), broken, chipped, or cracked windshield or
window glass (unless it’s due to a defect in material or workmanship), cosmetic flaws, and expendable maintenance items
(such as filters or brake pads and linings) when they’re replaced due to normal wear.

EDIT (from a Dealership website in MD):

A list of what is not generally covered:

• Brake linings and disc pads
  • Clutch release bearings
  • Clutch pressure plates and center plates
  • Tires
  • Wiper blade
  • Seat and backrest covers
  • Floor coverings
  • Spark plugs
  • Batteries for key fobs and alarms
  • Light bulbs
  • Shock Absorbers
  • Adjustments to doors, flaps, boot lids, bonnets, sunroof
  • Brake adjustment
  • Clutch adjustment
  • Headlight adjustment
  • Steering geometry adjustments
  • Wheel balancing

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
I brought my two year old Hatchback to the dealer for a state inspection. They failed it because my rear calipers are sticking
I'd be inclined to believe that sticking calipers *are* a warranty issue. Warped rotors and alignment; not so much.

Maybe they were saying 'no' to all the issues as a combined service; not per item.

OP
OP

SpoolAndGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'd be inclined to believe that sticking calipers *are* a warranty issue. Warped rotors and alignment; not so much.

Maybe they were saying 'no' to all the issues as a combined service; not per item.
That's what I was thinking, but the rotor damage is because of the sticking calipers. Paying out of pocket for the alignment I'm totally OK with.

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (MSM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That's what I was thinking, but the rotor damage is because of the sticking calipers. Paying out of pocket for the alignment I'm totally OK with.
Rotor damage due to a stuck caliper (a caliper that is covered by the 36/36k warranty) should be covered as well ... because the rotor warp has been caused by the defective caliper. (just my $0.02)

OP
OP

SpoolAndGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Rotor damage due to a stuck caliper (a caliper that is covered by the 36/36k warranty) should be covered as well ... because the rotor warp has been caused by the defective caliper. (just my $0.02)
Thanks for your info. I actually just called American Honda and they classify brakes as "wear and tear" items so no warranty coverage.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Sheesh. Calipers, brake lines, master cylinders, ABS... it should be covered. The only 'wear and tear' parts are the pads.

Not trying to keep this stirring. But sheesh.

OP
OP

SpoolAndGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Since I'm on a time crunch to get a new inspection sticker, I'll be paying the dealer $200 to have my calipers greased and rotors resurfaced, on a two year old car...

OP
OP

SpoolAndGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just to update, turns out my rotors were beyond resurfacing so the dealer replaced them with new rotors. However, they only charged me what they quoted for resurfacing, which was nice. Cleaned and greased rear calipers and replaced rear rotors for $208.

ian408

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Type R Sonic
Country flag
Warranty is generally considered a defect in material or workmanship which makes brakes and other wear items ineligible for warranty coverage. There are definitely exceptions. Let's say the factory discovered a defect in materials that caused a caliper to to stick-that should be covered. You'd probably need to find a service bulletin or document that describes the defect.

It sucks to have a failure like the stuck caliper after a short time but unfortunately, it is what it is. What is cool is a dealer that helps you out as goodwill though.
Sponsored