Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Most sporty / type R honda's use a single piston floating caliper .Only a few type r or other models use a brembo or a cast dual piston.
Spoon even uses the SI brake discs to match their 6piston calipers for the fk7.
It's all about the weight of the car and the brake performance /demand.

I have a set of Accord type r dual piston calipers to get installed on my 10thgen sedan.
These where are on a 300x28mm disc
Which isn't much larger in diameter then my stock size (293x25mm).But it gives better brake performance overal because of the bigger heat sink, dual piston caliper,larger brake pads.
They use the dc2 type r brake pads which can be found everywhere.
Sponsored

Anger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7,RW2,RD1,RD5,RE5,RU1,FK1,FN2,EP3
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Great job Nick ! I have heard that this is a great improvement. Please give us your feedback and especially with the use of spacers.
I expect my set of parts for front brakes upgrade as well. I have chosen the CRV's dual piston calipers in order not to use spacers or new wheels. After detailed measurements the rotors will be 315X28. 320X28 are used only on the latest gen EU CRV and cannot be installed in our hubs, as the diameter is larger than the caliper's free space. My only problem is that I cannot find any "performance" discs and pads. The only alternatives in the Greek (and as far as I know the EU) market is Brembo, Zimmerman, Mintex and Textar. I don't mention EBC because they are very expensive for what they offer.
So far spacers are fine. You can definately feel more feedback on the steering wheel when going over rough tarmac or you step on something and the car seems to be more aggressive when turning-in. It also feels slightly more "tail-happy". I do not mind the feeling as I am used to driving Type-Rs so I position the rear end on corner entry and having a more tail happy car is nice. Adding that to the significantly increased precision of the brake pedal thanks to the 4 pot calipers and the braided lines, trail braking now is a piece of cake. Up until now, the car would not trail brake so corner entry had to be done in the typical fashion of releasing the brakes before turning in. That is not necessarily bad, but you have to know the exact moment on when to brake and given that I do NOT track the car, conditions vary greatly on the road (tire temps, tarmac temps, traffic etc). That is why I have learned to trail-brake.

If making the rear more "funky" is important to someone, without the use of spacers and OEM wheels, then a rear sway bar and a slightly different allignment are mandatory. I would not install a thicker rear sway bar with spacers.

I will also install quite soon (I already got it but the color was wrong so I sent it for painting) the Sportline FK8 rear wing,which will settle the rear end on high speed corners. With the spacers but without the rear wing, the car feels like the EP3. The FN2 was far more stable at those speeds(it had much more downforce,it was an overall better aerodynamic design). The FK8 is a total beast at any speed, even over 135mph. Turning at over 200-220km/h(120-135mph) banks the rear end feels loose and its not the best feeling at those speeds. In tight corners, the rear wing is not necessary and does not really do anything. On medium corners say 90-130 km/h (55-70mph), I hope the wing will help but I have to test it out.

Do mind that the FK8 sportline spoiler is not simply a visual mod. Honda has installed this on the FK8 and while it is not the big wing, it does produce downforce. Honda would not have installed it otherwise. The OEM FK7 rear "spoiler", small as it might be, does leave a gap between the rear glass and the spoiler, allowing for air to flow through. This reduces drag (and improves mpg) but at high speed cornering, you need some downforce even on the rear.

Lastly, this feedback is based on the shitty Michelin Primacy 3 tires, which are the worst tires I have ever driven. Unfortunately, Bridgestone Potenza Sport are not released at 235/45-17 and I will probably go for the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 6. I will not be runnign 18s on the car.

This thread is pointless unless the car has proper tires.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hondanickx

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I can recommend the eagle f1 supersport over the asymmetric.
They are almost the same as the michelin pilot sport 4s at a lower price.

varge

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5T 4D Elegance EUDM
Country flag
I think they only come out in 18" +
The Potenzas are great in terms of traction and grip but cabin noise will be significant.
I think the GY Assy 6 will be great. Initial feedback from a friend with a FK7 on 17's is superb.

Anger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The supersport wont probably last as long and wont be as good under heavy rain. The Asymmetric 5 had decent reviews(still, potenza is way better) and the 6 is brand new. I dont see why it wont be as decent as the 5.

OP
OP
Hondanickx

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The supersport wont probably last as long and wont be as good under heavy rain. The Asymmetric 5 had decent reviews(still, potenza is way better) and the 6 is brand new. I dont see why it wont be as decent as the 5.
Potenza sport, pilot sport 4s and eagle f1 supersport are all very close to each other.There's a British guy on youtube who tested them all .Tire test
The potenza sport is just as good as the eagle supersport and pilot sport 4s in dry .Only thing different is that the potenza sport needs more heat in them to get to that grip.That's what i've heard from test in 225/45r18.The rain tests where also very good for the michelins and bridgestone.
The eagle supersport still has some noise but has a stiffer sidewall compared to michelin.

Last edited:

anestist

First Name
Anestis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This will be my choice of tyres as well. All the reviews I have read for 5, concluded that overall it was a very good tyre. So I expect 6 to be the same.

BanquoX

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-L Navi
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I ran a federal 595ss in 225 45 17 last summer and that tire was really grippy. I'm on a 235 45 17 all season for the winter and spring. And I hate it. Might try a 245 40 17 in something this summer

Tobiman

First Name
Oluwatobi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Sport Hatch
Country flag
I'm itching to install my used set of MPS4S tires, size 245/40/18. 8/32' thread left. I believe I got a pretty decent deal for $450 for all 4. Before spring, I'm working on magi collars, an anti-lift kit, a front sway bar, and a front ball joint.

civicren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sport touring cvt 2017
Country flag
So I got the front BBK K-system.pro kit installed,with HEL steel brake lines and the Zimmermann rear drilled discs. Ferodo DS2500 on all corners. Used OEM wheels (17x8) and Eibach 20mm spacers all around.

20220222_100415.jpg

20220222_095946.jpg

20220223_121751.jpg

20220223_170903.jpg
beautiful BBK

They use Renault caliper/pads right?
MEGANE Ⅲ RENAULT SPORT DZF4R

and according to project mu's matching list (https://www.project-mu.co.jp/matching/pad/RENAULT.htm), it uses pmu's F506 pads(https://www.project-mu.co.jp/padshape/F506.pdf).

And the pdf file listed by pmu mentions its also fitting " CP9A, CT9A <BREMBO> (LANCER Evo) "

therefore, I assume the brake calipers from lancer evo can mount to it too? lol. And even if the caliper doesnt fit, if the lan evo brembo brake pad fits the shape, it means there can be more brake pads to choose from.

Just some personal observation and hypothesis.
Im quite happy with my TSP/Fastbrakes 4pot Wilwood BBK rn.
I may want to try the official 6pot wilwood bbk kit but it would probably not happen

Last edited:

Anger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
beautiful BBK

They use Renault caliper/pads right?
MEGANE Ⅲ RENAULT SPORT DZF4R

and according to project mu's matching list (https://www.project-mu.co.jp/matching/pad/RENAULT.htm), it uses pmu's F506 pads(https://www.project-mu.co.jp/padshape/F506.pdf).

And the pdf file listed by pmu mentions its also fitting " CP9A, CT9A <BREMBO> (LANCER Evo) "

therefore, I assume the brake calipers from lancer evo can mount to it too? lol. And even if the caliper doesnt fit, if the lan evo brembo brake pad fits the shape, it means there can be more brake pads to choose from.

Just some personal observation and hypothesis.
Im quite happy with my TSP/Fastbrakes 4pot Wilwood BBK rn.
I may want to try the official 6pot wilwood bbk kit but it would probably not happen
It makes sense that any pads designed for that caliper will fit, so if for instance project μu (easy for me to type the μ, its a greek letter;) ) has released pads for that Renault caliper,they can be used instead of the Ferodo.

FIY, on Saturday I heard some squeaking noise coming from the front left (driver) side. It is not easy to describe, was not high pitch, it was like metal on metal rubbing, like when the pad wear indicator touches the rotor.
I first heard it on a full left turn as I was parking the car and then also heard it with the wheels facing to the front. I have the kit on for about 300 miles so far.

I did freak out obviously and contacted K.system-pro. I was told that either the knuckle on which the caliper adapters bolt on to are slightly bent so the caliper isnt sitting properly in comparison to the disc axis, or the brake disc isnt alligned within the caliper or that the pistons are not retracting fully in which case piston grease must be applied (and that this is a rather common issue with Brembo calipers).

Today I drove the car and heard nothing. Since the car is almost new, I find it impossible for the knuckle to be bent. My initial thoughts were that either the disc shield got bent and touched the rotor or that stones were caught up somewhere in between. The pad clip/retainer seemed to be in place.
I will take the car in for the wing installation and have them take a look. If they cant reproduce the noise, it will be difficult to troubleshoot.

Last edited:

civicren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sport touring cvt 2017
Country flag
for some reason my left side brake squeaks during low speed stoppings too, approaching red light, 10kmh stop and go traffic etc.
I had shop grinded the brake pads, didnt solve the problem. then I switched out to project mu pads.

It was fine for a while but it still squeaks at low speed but not as loud. for now I assume its just because its not warm enough. the brake feel much better than hawks pads so I will give them benefit of doubt for now.

Just cant understand why whether is hawk street pad came from fast brakes or project mu street pads only the driver side squeaks.
I installed them at honda dealer.

the following is the sound of the hawk pads.
Dashcam of the noise when braking:

Anger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
mine sounded similar, maybe not as high pitch

BanquoX

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-L Navi
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
for some reason my left side brake squeaks during low speed stoppings too, approaching red light, 10kmh stop and go traffic etc.
I had shop grinded the brake pads, didnt solve the problem. then I switched out to project mu pads.

It was fine for a while but it still squeaks at low speed but not as loud. for now I assume its just because its not warm enough. the brake feel much better than hawks pads so I will give them benefit of doubt for now.

Just cant understand why whether is hawk street pad came from fast brakes or project mu street pads only the driver side squeaks.
I installed them at honda dealer.

the following is the sound of the hawk pads.
That's a resonant squeak. Likey a vibrating shim.

civicren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sport touring cvt 2017
Country flag
That's a resonant squeak. Likey a vibrating shim.
I put on different pads and it still squeaks, maybe I should check the brake shim. Thanks