Brake Fluid code 7 after only 33k highway miles?

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
You can get yourself some break fluid testers from amazon.
They are inexpensive, you just stick it and it will tell you if it is good or not, and how bad it is.
The reality of things, is that many people don't ever change the break fluid (assuming they keep the car for 5-7 years), but in the end, it all depends on where you live, and how many time you break. The system is not sealed, so Honda recommendation are on the very safe side (mostly for legal reasons).

You can't say "the system is not sealed." The brake system is sealed - you will find this statement in any description of car brakes claiming to be at least half expert.

"The recommended intervals for changing brake fluid are all over the board depending on the manufacturer, from as often as every two years to actually never. Wait, never? Really, never."

"Brake fluid lives in a sealed system and can survive for years, but moisture from the surrounding air can work its way in through hoses and other parts of the brake system."

https://www.cars.com/articles/how-often-do-i-need-to-change-my-brake-fluid-1420680336417/

So Toyota for example does not have such thing as flushing the brake system scheduled every so many years or so many miles. It has 5, 15, and 30 kmiles services. They require checking the condition of the brake fluid and the brake system, but if it's found OK, you don't need to ever flush it.

I never did anything to the brakes in my 2009 CR-V (10 years, ~120+ kmiles).* Factory fluid, factory pads/rotors. I think now is finally the ripe time to do a complete 2-axle brake job. Maybe.

-------------------------------------------------------
*!! Warning - Your mileage MAY vary.
Sponsored

Number 215

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
put a drip of paint outside the gap in between a brake reservoir cap and reservoir itself
to change the fluid the cap has to be opened
if your paint "seal" is still there after - well, you know they're lying
Some "mechanics" only open the cap, siphon out the fluid from the reservoir with a turkey baster, then fill it back up with new fluid and call it done. I'm not really sure how to make sure your mechanic actually bleeds each brake line.... wait..... I guess you could put a spot of paint at each bleeder valve and see if they ever even touched it. So, yes, good advice bro ! Thanks haha

Dario1101

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I feel as if I should bleed the rear lines just a bit because of my prior mess-ups. But the brake fluid I have now is about a few weeks old. I guess it's time to buy a new one.

HayaiKuruma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatchback EX
Country flag
My 2017 Hatch with 17,800 miles has the A 7 in the the maintenance minder. I do bleed my own brakes, and have always done it at the 3 year mark. I’m pretty good about not going past 3 years.

DKL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Challenger Hellcat. '06 Z4 '97 Supra '18 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I bought one the bikemaster pneumatic brake fluid bleeder tools on amazon. Best $30 I've ever spent. You can also get brake fluid tester probes for about $10. Checks moisture content.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
so I'm in AZ, and this 7 code just popped up for my 9k mile CTR... should I change the break fluid or no?
Yes, do it. It's based on manufacturing date, not mileage. It pops up when your car is close to it's 3 year build date. Mine popped up at around 12K. I did it.

Last edited:

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes, do it. It's based on manufacturing date, not mileage. It pops up when your car is close to it's 3 year build date. Mine popped up at around 12K. I did it.
Wait, did yours pop up at 2 or 3 years? Mine's only done 2, and it's in the Minder for the second time (I'm in year 5 of ownership) for my next service.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Popped up at about 2.5 years. Pretty sure it's programmed to get done every 3 years or so, (regardless of mileage) and pops up on the MM with whatever other maintenance is due next.

Maximum6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000 2005, Type R 2019
Country flag
Anybody bleed the clutch at the same time, and have a guide on how to do it?

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
I got the same code at 28K miles. So far I'm ignoring it.

DKL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Challenger Hellcat. '06 Z4 '97 Supra '18 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Anybody bleed the clutch at the same time, and have a guide on how to do it?
I don't know if you can easily access the clutch bleeder from under the hood, but it's easy to access when you remove the splash tray from underneath, like when changing the oil.

DrwMDvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Si Sedan, 2000 Honda Civic
Country flag
I feel as if I should bleed the rear lines just a bit because of my prior mess-ups. But the brake fluid I have now is about a few weeks old. I guess it's time to buy a new one.
If you haven't re-bled the rear brakes yet, I would. The service repair manual (you can just google it and download for free) indicates that you should bleed all four calipers in the following order:

Front Driver, Front Passenger, Rear Passenger, Rear Driver.

Then, actuate the ebrake 5 times.

Then re-bleed the rear brakes.

See the note at the bottom of my attached image.

Honda Civic 10th gen Brake Fluid code 7 after only 33k highway miles? Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 2.37.39 PM
Sponsored