Brake Fluid code 7 after only 33k highway miles?

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
OK I had the dealer do it this time since it's under warranty and winter. Looks like they actually drain it completely and run a solvent flush before they put new fluid. See attached.

20180116_153307.jpg
How did the "under warranty" spiel work? I'm curious because I'm just under 35k, and even though I'm at 30% oil life I'm planning on taking mine in on Saturday.

If I could somehow get it done free, then all the better.
Sponsored

OP
OP

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
How did the "under warranty" spiel work? I'm curious because I'm just under 35k, and even though I'm at 30% oil life I'm planning on taking mine in on Saturday.

If I could somehow get it done free, then all the better.
No the brake flush wasn't free. It was $119. However I did the CVT noise Tsb which was free and replaced all 7 quarts of cvt fluid.

derbo904

Keeper of Blinky lights
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 | 11 E90M3
Country flag
The factory-recommended procedure is two-man and won't work with speedbleeders because the brakes are pumped repeatedly first, then held, then the bleeder opened, etc. Honda's other recommended methods are (one-man) pressure and vacuum bleeding. There are only the three approved methods. My guess (guess!) is that the parking brake system inside the rear calipers is the reason.

FYI, the bleed order is non-standard: FL, FR, RR, LR, apply and release parking brakes five times, RR, LR.

As an aside, you can use a speedbleeder on the clutch.
Do you have documentation to back this up? I'm curious. :)

I regular change my brake fluid prior to every track day in my BMW and use this check-valve bleeder with ATE Typ 200 Brake Fluid ($20/bottle for DOT4 with higher temps in wet too)

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-...bleeder-bottle-with-check-valve-simple-bleed/

joe2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I just got an A1 7 code today. Car is just 2 years old and almost all highway miles. I was going to get a dealer oil change but now they are going to want to charge a crazy amount to flush all the brake fluid?

This must have been a bone Honda threw to the dealers because I have never changed brake fluid less than 5 years of owning a new car.
Hi, Did this show up when you started your car? or did you go under Settings>Vehicle> Maintenance? My car is a few months over 2yrs and i went today to settings>vehicle>maintenance and noticed oil life of 50% (a) and just below it was 7

OP
OP

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Yes, so when it gets to 10% I believe it would show a maintenance minder on your display. So the code 7 is due when you need your next oil change.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Yes, so when it gets to 10% I believe it would show a maintenance minder on your display. So the code 7 is due when you need your next oil change.
So if you change the Brake Fluid yourself, how easy is it to reset the Code 7 .. can it be done with the car HU, or do you need special OBD2 tools ??

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 4 door LX with CVT
Country flag
Don't know when the timer starts -- when time = 0. Probably when the battery is first connected.

That would include the time in the dealer lot before it was sold.

The fluid starts absorbing water as soon as it's filled at the factory.

You can always put Dot 4 in it rather than Dot 3. Same stuff but with a higher boiling point.

My motorcycle uses Dot 4 for the higher temp rating.

There's a diaphragm under the cap in the master cylinder. Supposedly the flexible diaphragm moves down into the reservoir if the fluid level drops. Ideally the diaphragm would not let air into the reservoir. The space above the diaphragm and below the cap is open to the atmosphere.

Of course moisture enters through the hose at each caliper as well as the piston seals of the calipers.

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
I just read this entire thread start to finish. Amazing how much info comes out from a discussion like this involving the various forum members. 80% of the info to do a brake fluid flush is here along with a collection of sage conventional wisdom.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Don't know when the timer starts -- when time = 0. Probably when the battery is first connected.
I'm told the clock is set at the factory following initial startup. Which would explain why some owners are reporting this code as early as two years into their ownership period.

Indeed it seems to be a 3 year, time-based code.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
I just got an A1 7 code today. Car is just 2 years old and almost all highway miles. I was going to get a dealer oil change but now they are going to want to charge a crazy amount to flush all the brake fluid?

This must have been a bone Honda threw to the dealers because I have never changed brake fluid less than 5 years of owning a new car.
I never do that on any of our family previous car. We kept those cars more than 10 years with 130 k miles and they running fine when we sell them.
I'll do same with our two Civic.

Dealer just want your money.

andromeda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
Country flag
I've been driving for well over half a century. In days of old, no one would dream of changing brake fluid. You just topped up with a quality fluid as needed. I had an '04 civic that was going strong that I just traded in, and it was never done. Same with an '01 Prius after 15 years.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I've seen brake fluid fail as early as 20K and last as long as 200K+. Highly dependent on ambient conditions and driving habits.

A typical brake fluid swap can be done in an hour with a spare set of hands and about $25 in supplies. Ironically, Honda actually prefers longer maintenance intervals in order to keep cost-of-ownership calculations lower than their competitors. ;)

Last edited:

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 4 door LX with CVT
Country flag
I don't believe the MM has a timer or clock. 12K miles equates to one year. 24K miles, two years. 36K, three years. Etc.
You see a code 7 when the next oil change is scheduled for 36K+ miles.
Sponsored