Brake fluid change DIY or bring it to a shop?

OP
OP

FK8Guy

Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR FK8
Country flag
Ive worked on suspension for years, don’t always need a compressor. And yes, I do plan on torquing bolts manually. That’s what a torque wrench is for.

The motive power bleeder is a much better, more consistent, and less reliant method for bleeding brakes. You’ve clearly never used one.
All the pros use a compressor brake bleeder.
Sponsored

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 NSX, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Just my two cents, but my experience with a vacuum bleeder (the one that uses compressed air to draw fluid out) was not good. What happens is as the bleeder sucks out the fluid, air gets sucked around the threads of the loose bleeder. You can see an infinite number of bubbles as the fluid is pulled out. The result is that there is always just a tiny bit of air trapped when you tighten things down. With a pressure bleeder, there is always positive pressure so air doesn't get pulled through the threads.

The vacuum system definitely works in some cases. My friend owns a BMW shop and I was borrowing his. He seemed to think it worked fine. But it definitely didn't have the best results for me.

Last edited:

amurciano

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R FK8
Country flag
I bought my first compressor when I was 23yo If you do not own a compressor then you need to be a man and buy one lol
Its funny I bought one too when I was 23, but it was just to put air in my tires. But I think you are being a little too dramatic. First of all, for the average Joe that doesn't have a shop can't afford a huge compressor. They are pretty costly if you don't use tools that would use it. I bought a cheap 2 gallon to fill tires and to spray some air to clear dirt off stuff. 2nd, I always hand tighten and use torque wrench to tighten stuff. Nothing wrong with hand tightening, its just a matter of preference. I know many great mechanics that have a huge air compressor but still hand tighten. Saying things like what you said will just offend people and isn't necessary. Instead just recommend your opinion without potentially offending people that have good reason not to buy one especially the one you are talking about for tools is very expensive. Saying LOL doesn't make it right sometimes. instead I wouldve said "I bought my first compressor when I was 23yo. I would highly recommend one if you do not own a compressor. Its great for saving time and if you have a real need for one. Its also great for removing and torquing down stuff. Here is the one I own..."

OP
OP

FK8Guy

Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR FK8
Country flag
Its funny I bought one too when I was 23, but it was just to put air in my tires. But I think you are being a little too dramatic. First of all, for the average Joe that doesn't have a shop can't afford a huge compressor. They are pretty costly if you don't use tools that would use it. I bought a cheap 2 gallon to fill tires and to spray some air to clear dirt off stuff. 2nd, I always hand tighten and use torque wrench to tighten stuff. Nothing wrong with hand tightening, its just a matter of preference. I know many great mechanics that have a huge air compressor but still hand tighten. Saying things like what you said will just offend people and isn't necessary. Instead just recommend your opinion without potentially offending people that have good reason not to buy one especially the one you are talking about for tools is very expensive. Saying LOL doesn't make it right sometimes. instead I wouldve said "I bought my first compressor when I was 23yo. I would highly recommend one if you do not own a compressor. Its great for saving time and if you have a real need for one. Its also great for removing and torquing down stuff. Here is the one I own..."
so many uses for using a compressor its not even funny. I love it every fall to blow out my 6 zone irrigation system saving me 75.00 labor or more just to winterize it.

amurciano

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R FK8
Country flag
so many uses for using a compressor its not even funny. I love it every fall to blow out my 6 zone irrigation system saving me 75.00 labor or more just to winterize it.
I agree man, its very versatile. Just be a little more considerate with what you say is my point. I know you didn't mean to offend, but they way you said it could very well offend people and especially people that can't afford one. Its kinda a slap to the face for those that can't get one.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
Did mine with the motive bleeder and cap listed earlier:

It is tedious with the 6 bleeders total you have to deal with and also removing the wheels. suggestion would be to put the car up on all 4 corners if possible so you can tackle all of em without skipping a beat.

For $30 and assuming they did a good job of it i'd probably just take it in. I'm paranoid about people touching my car though. Especially with brembos and their tendency to peel if brake fluid isnt thoroughly cleaned off.

Last edited:

flacobill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 IS500 his, 2020 RR FK7- hers
Country flag
Did mine with the motive bleeder and cap listed earlier:

It is tedious with the 6 bleeders total you have to deal with and also removing the wheels. suggestion would be to put the car up on all 4 corners if possible so you can tackle all of em without skipping a beat.

For $30 and assuming they did a good job of it i'd probably just take it in. I'm paranoid about people touching my car though. Especially with brembos and their tendency to peel if brake fluid isnt thoroughly cleaned off.
So.. I’m no fluid dynamics engineer but in the video, it looks like A LOT of air was still in the clear pump tube before entering the master cylinder. I would think pushing this air into your brake system is the last thing you want to do.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
So.. I’m no fluid dynamics engineer but in the video, it looks like A LOT of air was still in the clear pump tube before entering the master cylinder. I would think pushing this air into your brake system is the last thing you want to do.
Doesn't work like that. The air in the supply tube will stay at the top of the tube and brake fluid will still trickle into the master cylinder from the bleeder reservoir to keep the reservoir full. Inside pressure reservoir is a straw that pulls fluid and no air from the bottom.

Even so, the air won't be pushed into the master reservoir if there is fluid in it.

The issue arises when your pressure reservoir is empty and pushing nothing but air into the reservoir. If you run out of fluid in the master cylinder, you will push air into the system.

OP
OP

FK8Guy

Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR FK8
Country flag
Well looks like I wont be changing my brake fluid just got my car traded in , 9k miles 2018 for 30k and will be getting a 2020 champ white,.

Looks like 1300-1500 for PS4/sport compact tires, new windshield , brake pad change , wheel alignment . , paint chips , spolier scuffs, probably another $600.00 on top of the 1500.0

looks like its a no brainer for me to just spend the money to upgrade since I can also use my own financing , MSRP for the car .

Looking forward to the tweaks with the new brake system, bushings, better shifting, computer that is supposedly better at damping and any other tweaks made to the car. Will make it a much better travel car overall.
btw my new car loan is 2.59%

OP
OP

FK8Guy

Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR FK8
Country flag
Fogot to mention whats even cooler about my deal , car payment stays the same for 72 months. Had this before and I dont pay tax on title when registering

Will hold out a few years after the next gen is released so they can work out the recalls and improvements.. Will probably move on to a Tesla if they can get it to 500miles range

willskiGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #26262
Country flag
Well looks like I wont be changing my brake fluid just got my car traded in , 9k miles 2018 for 30k and will be getting a 2020 champ white,.
That's a great way to not have to do maintenance - just get a whole new car, haha! Congrats man.

OP
OP

FK8Guy

Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR FK8
Country flag
That's a great way to not have to do maintenance - just get a whole new car, haha! Congrats man.
Thanks, I think I will play around with this car for another 2 years until a 2nd year Subaru STI with 400hp and the new engine is released and also wait for the next type r. However I might jump into a Tesla if they can get it to 500 miles range. we will see.

I do like the model Y performance since it has 24 more cubic space than the civic hatch. I need AWD though where I live but I figured new car new tires, just buy a winter set now in the fall with winter tires already balanced and mounted from Tirerack. They have 19" rims with a 53offset

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whe...Model=Civic+Type+R&autoYear=2017&autoModClar=

Dealer liked the fact no mods were done, although I did not disclose hondata and thats all that done with it. Someone will get a free unlocked ECU

J o n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Z/28, '22 Ridgeline , '22 CR-V Hybrid
Country flag

razz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sentra
Country flag
Just my two cents, but my experience with a vacuum bleeder (the one that uses compressed air to draw fluid out) was not good. What happens is as the bleeder sucks out the fluid, air gets sucked around the threads of the loose bleeder. You can see an infinite number of bubbles as the fluid is pulled out. The result is that there is always just a tiny bit of air trapped when you tighten things down. With a pressure bleeder, there is always positive pressure so air doesn't get pulled through the threads.

The vacuum system definitely works in some cases. My friend owns a BMW shop and I was borrowing his. He seemed to think it worked fine. But it definitely didn't have the best results for me.
Is a pressure bleeder equivalent to someone pushing on the brakes?

I'm about to do my brakes, wondering if I should buy an amazon catch bottle or a cheap vacuum pump. Which one would work best?

Genesis catch bottle or

Brake fluid pump kit

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 NSX, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
If you have a helper to pump the brakes, then just the catch bottle and doing it the traditional way is effective and cheapest.

If you don't have a helper, another solution that works well is using Speed Bleeders or some equivalent, which are one-way valves built into bleeder screws. I don't know the right size needed for Brembos though. http://www.speedbleeder.com/

The website says 9497K front not sure about the rear.
Sponsored

Last edited: