Brake fluid change DIY or bring it to a shop?

b2point0h

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2006 v8 4x4 4Runner
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
OP
OP

FK8Guy

Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR FK8
Country flag
Save yourself the hassle with pumping the pedal thing. Do it right, use a pressurized power bleeder.

Motive Products 0107 Power Pressure Brake and Clutch Bleeder For Ford and Asian Cars and Trucks https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CJ5DZE2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_h3a3EbVBF7ABP

You’ll need the correct cap for Honda.
CTA Tools 7030 Master Cylinder Adapter-Honda https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MYXAXS5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_t4a3EbVMQXTDJ
The item i posted above yours does everything with a compressor and is better than the one you listed

b2point0h

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The item i posted above yours does everything with a compressor and is better than the one you listed
Care to share any info on it? All you posted was a picture

OP
OP

FK8Guy

Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR FK8
Country flag
Care to share any info on it? All you posted was a picture
Here is a youtube video
If you have a compressor this is the better alternative and also has few more benefits over the other bleeder which I almost bought

b2point0h

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here is a youtube video
If you have a compressor this is the better alternative and also has few more benefits over the other bleeder which I almost bought

Thanks for sharing I’ll check it out. I’ve used the Motive on lots of cars and always had good results.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I prefer the pressure-based method instead of making vacuum with a compressor.
You apply the positive pressure to the master cylinder reservoir and you can then bleed all wheels. The fresh brake fluid is supplied automatically to the master reservoir as you bleed.
The vacuum thing needs to be applied to each wheel. Max pressure difference is limited to atmospheric (if the compressed air can pull it). Pulling vacuum invites pulling in air if there are any leaks. You have to still supply the fresh fluid to the master reservoir.

flacobill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 IS500 his, 2020 RR FK7- hers
Country flag
Here is a youtube video

Hmm... I’m in the market for one of these 2 units.
Looks like Capri is a vacuum bleeder and the motive a pressure bleeder. Have you used this yet? How do you see air bubbles go clear in the Capri? Looks kinda hard to see through the white container. The video was kinda weak for DIY details. Got a link to buy?
The motive looks tempting now that I see a dedicated Honda cap is available. I’ve heard the universal motive cap sucks which is why I never bought one.

flacobill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 IS500 his, 2020 RR FK7- hers
Country flag
Save yourself the hassle with pumping the pedal thing. Do it right, use a pressurized power bleeder.

Motive Products 0107 Power Pressure Brake and Clutch Bleeder For Ford and Asian Cars and Trucks https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CJ5DZE2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_h3a3EbVBF7ABP

You’ll need the correct cap for Honda.
CTA Tools 7030 Master Cylinder Adapter-Honda https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MYXAXS5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_t4a3EbVMQXTDJ
Have you used this yet? How well does the Honda cap seal? Definitely interested in this for the CTR & RSX we have!

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
I prefer the pressure-based method instead of making vacuum with a compressor.
You apply the positive pressure to the master cylinder reservoir and you can then bleed all wheels. The fresh brake fluid is supplied automatically to the master reservoir as you bleed.
The vacuum thing needs to be applied to each wheel. Max pressure difference is limited to atmospheric (if the compressed air can pull it). Pulling vacuum invites pulling in air if there are any leaks. You have to still supply the fresh fluid to the master reservoir.
...and lets not forget, most people don't even have compressors.

OP
OP

FK8Guy

Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR FK8
Country flag
...and lets not forget, most people don't even have compressors.
I bought my first compressor when I was 23yo If you do not own a compressor then you need to be a man and buy one lol

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
I bought my first compressor when I was 23yo If you do not own a compressor then you need to be a man and buy one lol
Buying a compressor is not some sort of right of passage. There are various reasons people might not have them and most of those reasons don't have anything to do with manhood. :thumbsup:

Sil98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Type R, '08 Kia Sorento, '03 WRX, '97 Del Sol Si, '90 Supercharged TA
Country flag
All i used when i replaced the factory calipers on my bugeye WRX with Brembo calipers from an STI were speed bleeders. No assistant, no Motive device or anything else. Got a good firm pedal. And have never had any weeping from the speed bleeders.

Don't know if there is anything about the Type R brake system that would prevent you from using the same method (but i'm sure someone here does).

OP
OP

FK8Guy

Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR FK8
Country flag
Buying a compressor is not some sort of right of passage. There are various reasons people might not have them and most of those reasons don't have anything to do with manhood. :thumbsup:
What ever you want to believe. But if you havent bought a compressor how do you ever expect to work on your suspension in the future? If you knew anything how tools works you would understand what I was saying. Do you plan on manually torquing and breaking bolts with wrenches? Its called saving time. A hand pressurized container is a waste of time and money to suck break fluid out of the car

b2point0h

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What ever you want to believe. But if you havent bought a compressor how do you ever expect to work on your suspension in the future? If you knew anything how tools works you would understand what I was saying. Do you plan on manually torquing and breaking bolts with wrenches? Its called saving time. A hand pressurized container is a waste of time and money to suck break fluid out of the car
Ive worked on suspension for years, don’t always need a compressor. And yes, I do plan on torquing bolts manually. That’s what a torque wrench is for.

The motive power bleeder is a much better, more consistent, and less reliant method for bleeding brakes. You’ve clearly never used one.
Sponsored