Brake fluid change DIY or bring it to a shop?

FK8Guy

Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR FK8
Country flag
  • Banned
Curious to know how many people actually undertake this DIY brake fluid flush without getting air in the lines vs just taking it to say brakes plus for 30 bucks

Sounds like i am better off having a shop do it , brakes plus seems reasonable.

Sou
Sponsored

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here’s a link to DIY. This method requires a 2nd person to apply pressure to the brake pedal while you bleed. I need to search for a one person brake bleed device one of these days.

Brake Bleeding

Curious to know how many people actually undertake this DIY brake fluid flush without getting air in the lines vs just taking it to say brakes plus for 30 bucks

Sounds like i am better off having a shop do it , brakes plus seems reasonable.

Sou

roflitzjinno

First Name
Jinno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000
Country flag
I do it myself and have been for all my cars. As much as time equates money, nothing better than peace of mind knowing it was done correctly and how I want it done.

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Civic Type R, Audi Q5
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
suck out what you can from the reservoir with a vacuum pump/turkey baster. Then fill with new fluid and pump through. Read a post recently where a guy pumped it dry and then could not get it to get firm again.

Last edited:

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
There is a way to do it alone, and a way to do it with somebody else. Neither is difficult and both save money, especially over time. The process is pretty similar regardless of the vehicle

This video has been posted before I think. Gives you an idea of how easy it is.

OP
OP

FK8Guy

Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR FK8
Country flag
  • Banned
for 30 bucks though brakes plus is better , you have to take off all the rims lol

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
for 30 bucks though brakes plus is better , you have to take off all the rims lol
“better” is subjective, unless you are standing there watching them do it. I am generally pessimistic about the attentiveness of strangers, but if you know the mechanic personally then that is different.

With all of the resources available on the internet and the amount of “wear-and-tear” maintenance that can be done with a relatively small set of affordable tools, there is something to be said about investing your time into learning more about your machine and what makes it work. Some people enjoy researching various products to determine what has worked for others and what hasn’t.

if you have an endless budget and do not enjoy DIY projects then your question was answered before you asked

OP
OP

FK8Guy

Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR FK8
Country flag
  • Banned
“better” is subjective, unless you are standing there watching them do it. I am generally pessimistic about the attentiveness of strangers, but if you know the mechanic personally then that is different.

With all of the resources available on the internet and the amount of “wear-and-tear” maintenance that can be done with a relatively small set of affordable tools, there is something to be said about investing your time into learning more about your machine and what makes it work. Some people enjoy researching various products to determine what has worked for others and what hasn’t.

if you have an endless budget and do not enjoy DIY projects then your question was answered before you asked
Whats a good tool to remove the brake fluid from the caliper? Usually they sell pumps

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
I had to have my calipers replaced under warranty due to the paint pealing off. That was the easy part. When they got to putting the fluid back in they had all kinds of issues getting it to actually get pressure back on the brakes. Took 3 attempts a guy in the car on the lift and so on... IM guessing doing these at home yourself on this car is not a breeze. And not a one man job either.

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Whats a good tool to remove the brake fluid from the caliper? Usually they sell pumps
The video I posted above shows you how to do it alone or with another person.

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I had to have my calipers replaced under warranty due to the paint pealing off. That was the easy part. When they got to putting the fluid back in they had all kinds of issues getting it to actually get pressure back on the brakes. Took 3 attempts a guy in the car on the lift and so on... IM guessing doing these at home yourself on this car is not a breeze. And not a one man job either.
I think this would be much more difficult than doing a normal flush. I would not feel super confident about completely taking the caliper off, but a normal flush is very easy to do alone with some clear tubing and an empty bottle.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
I think this would be much more difficult than doing a normal flush. I would not feel super confident about completely taking the caliper off, but a normal flush is very easy to do alone with some clear tubing and an empty bottle.
I guess, IM not a brake expert thats for sure. But after the new caliper is on IM sure pushing fluid through it is the same process as a flush is it not? IM just saying that issues can come up and this car is always full of surprises.

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I guess, IM not a brake expert thats for sure. But after the new caliper is on IM sure pushing fluid through it is the same process as a flush is it not? IM just saying that issues can come up and this car is always full of surprises.
The biggest difference is that removing the entire caliper makes it much easier to let air into the brake lines, which is a nightmare to try and fix (likely what happened).

When flushing the brakes, it is much easier to prevent air from getting into the system so long as you take your time and are very careful. All you need is a friend with a steady foot or a receptacle where the end your fluid drain tube is submerged in brake fluid

2020PMM

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 PMM Type R, 2018Honda CR-V Touring
Country flag
I'm coming from the Corvette community and have always used something called "The Ranger Method" to keep brake and clutch fluid clean and fresh. I do it at every oil change and go through 4-5 cycles of drawing down the fluid reservoir then pumping brakes or clutch until the fluid looks new. It keeps your fluids looking new as long as you keep practicing the method.

OP
OP

FK8Guy

Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR FK8
Country flag
I Got this

Honda Civic 10th gen Brake fluid change DIY or bring it to a shop? b8-16d6adb14659_1.36a84b8ab4cb44a3eb599f7aeed607dc
Sponsored