BPV sound plate *BAD*

CivicYEG

Hey guys, so this is something no one can really give a final answer about, maybe i can help.
Dont buy a sound plate, from any manufacture, be it torque solutions or other. In case you dont know, this is a type of VTA "blow off valve".
I have owned my civic sport for about a month now. A week in i got a new intake, next week the sound plate.
Drove around with the sound plate for about 3 weeks. First off, yes it sounds sick, but it will mess with your engine. I found i was loosing turbo pressure like crazy, i had a hard time even getting off the line, like i got beat by mazda proteges... not only that, it will give you hard starts everytime, most likely because your running lean and loosing the precious air your engine so delicately distributed.
Im not a newbie either, i owned an evo x sooped to the nutz for many years, i know what a b.o.v. is meant for and what a b.p.v. is meant for. What i didnt understand was how delicate this balance is in the stock engine. I believe k-tuner suggests not using any type of VTA blow off valves either.

Annny way, long rant but i wish someone wrote this before i wasted my money and could have potentially ruined my engine. These cars use all the air very delicatley if they are stock and usually even when they have mods or are flashed. Go intake and exhaust route instead :)
Sponsored

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
It should be a recitculating type like HKS has. If it’s a vent to atmosphere, it’s a waste.

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
There are quite a few posts on this forum about this. Sucks you didn't find them and had to find out for yourself how bad it really is.

booost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I’m going through the exact thing you went through right now. Wish I saw this 12 hours ago :( dropped my BOV screws too so now their in my skid plate. Going to take to my local shop this morning to hopefully get those screws out and put the stock BOV back on.

OP
OP

CivicYEG

I’m going through the exact thing you went through right now. Wish I saw this 12 hours ago :( dropped my BOV screws too so now their in my skid plate. Going to take to my local shop this morning to hopefully get those screws out and put the stock BOV back on.
Oooo dang, what a pain. I almost did that lol. I talked to the people at torque solutions and they had nothing bad to say about the sound plate, they basically said i didnt put it on right.... ya ok. Hopefully more people see this thread before buying that piece of crap.
Good luck tho! Should be fairly easy for a dealer to just give you new bolts.

Static_Awesome

IG:Static.Awesome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I'm not going to defend BOVs or Sound Plates, they're definitely going to make your car run RICH, not lean, however.

Metered air should not leave the system. This means anything that passes your MAF sensor that leaves is not compensated for. So if you have any boost, and the BPV with plate activates, you loose a volume of air that the ECU doesn't know it lost. This means fuel is added for air that is no longer there.

This is bad for your cats, and possibly your piston rings and oil due to extra fuel reducing the friction protection, at least long term.

THAT SAID: I've been running a Torque Solutions sound plate with no issue. My STFT and LTFT are great, pulling fuel when I let off the throttle in boost as expected when you take into account what I wrote above. I've raced, dragged, done burnouts, and other spirited driving as well as daily driven it.

My car is fine, and ran a low 14 on the summer street with a tune, intake, and exhaust. What happened to YOU sounds like either a bad part, be it plate, gasket, or install. The plate basically keeps air from fully recirculating and diverts some or all air that is under boost to atmosphere, nothing else. When under full boost, partial throttle, braking, starting, or ANYTHING other than letting off throttle in a way that the factory BPV would activate to release boosted air, this part does NOTHING at all.

However, if you're experiencing the symptoms you claim, a bad part or bad install could perfectly well exhibit a loss of or inability to build boost, since the actuated part of the stock BPV may not be sealed correctly, and could be leaking boost. That means it's always open/venting in effect. Check your parts and retighten or reorient, or revert to stock.

OP
OP

CivicYEG

Maybe the tune helps. Did you tune it with the plate on? Also do what type of intake are you running?

Static_Awesome

IG:Static.Awesome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Maybe the tune helps. Did you tune it with the plate on? Also do what type of intake are you running?
Plate was on prior to tuning. Same AFR behavior in and out of boost, only the transition.

EWG controls boost, BPV/BOV releases it when throttle plate closes and boost has no where to go, protecting turbo from pressure on both sides

kytos

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC SPORT 1.5t 2017 EUDM
Country flag
Plate was on prior to tuning. Same AFR behavior in and out of boost, only the transition.

EWG controls boost, BPV/BOV releases it when throttle plate closes and boost has no where to go, protecting turbo from pressure on both sides
BPV vent some aire as part of boost control strategy to aid the wastegate.
Sponsored