Average Joeee

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Im sure this has been asked countless of times on here, but what are your thoughts on this vid? . before anyone says "get an intake" I have one im just wondering if this specific product that he is using the Turbosmart something that isnt going to "ruin" an Si in my case.
Sponsored

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Velonici

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EX Hatchback, 2004 Toyota 4Runner
Country flag
Im only 3min into the video and this guy is COMPLETELY missing why the community says not to use a BOV. It has nothing to due with boost control. It has to do with the fact that the ECU read that X amount of air in in the system. You lift of, the BOV then vents that metered air out. Not its going to run rich between shift because it thinks there is more air in the system than there is. Hell on my MR2 that I had back in the day it would run rich enough that I could shoot flames out the exhaust if I got on it and got everything nice and hot. Hes talking about monitoring the wastegate. WTF does the BOV have to do with the wastegate (Upon further reading it looks like the ECU can use it to vent compressed air back into the system to help the wastegate control reaching the targeted PSI).

Got a little farther into it. "We gained 5hp just from changing the BOV..." No you didnt. I can not think of a single way that a BOV can give you more power, 0. When your on throttle that valve is shut. As long as you have a good seal the system does not care whats there. You could completely block it off for all it cares at that point.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Average Joeee

Average Joeee

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
@86salmon Boy was that thread a good one LOL. Anyway from what I took from it was that its basically not the best to run one and things can happen but also its "your money your move" type of thing hmm interesting? I just want more sound lol I know its kinda lame I probably wont get one but was just testing the waters.

86salmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@86salmon Boy was that thread a good one LOL. Anyway from what I took from it was that its basically not the best to run one and things can happen but also its "your money your move" type of thing hmm interesting? I just want more sound lol I know its kinda lame I probably wont get one but was just testing the waters.
Well...
SRI is more sound but doesn't run as cool as CAI (pros and cons of each are another couple threads entirely)

TIP adds sound but it's expensive and only really adds performance to turbo swaps

OP
OP
Average Joeee

Average Joeee

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Yeah my plan is eventually to get a upgraded turbo whether that be the PRL kit or a 27 won drop in and id like to get the TIP. But for now ive got the PRL SRI I had the MAPerformance intake didnt really like it sounded good but didnt like it in the future I might get the PRL CAI. Currently just waiting for my Greddy DDR to get here cant wait to throw that thing on.

86salmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah my plan is eventually to get a upgraded turbo whether that be the PRL kit or a 27 won drop in and id like to get the TIP. But for now ive got the PRL SRI I had the MAPerformance intake didnt really like it sounded good but didnt like it in the future I might get the PRL CAI. Currently just waiting for my Greddy DDR to get here cant wait to throw that thing on.
At least if you go with the CAI you only need to get the conversion kit

Don't forget the RV6 bolt on turbo

Boosted_01_R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FC3
Country flag
? ? ?, Bisimoto at it again, didn't even bother watching once I saw who's channel it is. If you know, you know.....
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.