Bought my 2017 Civic touring 2 weeks ago and it's been in the shop for 5 days. Question

steviiee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
Hey guys, I just recently bought a 2017 Honda Civic Touring 2 weeks ago (July 1) and on my 4th day of owning the car (July 5) I've had to take my car in for repair on the infotainment system as the touch screen stopped working. And then on my 7th day of owning it (July 8) I had to take it in for another repair as the front center speaker, the sound was warping nonstop. And then, on my 13th day of owning the car (July 14) I had to drop my car off as it had body/paint defects on the roof, the USB ports was not working properly, the driver side door started to rattle a lot to the point it drove me crazy. It's been in the shop ever since.

I'm not trying to be nit picky with the car or anything, I know not all cars come off the lot perfect but, to me this seems to be way too much for me as this is my first time buying a car. I'm so overwhelmed and stressed out about the car now instead of enjoying it. I love the car as a whole but, every time I drive it when something goes wrong with the car, I just cant help but be paranoid about what problems the car might have next. I don't know what to do right now. What can my options be right now?

The car has so much history already in the 2 weeks I've owned it. Will this look bad if I were to sell it in the future? I've checked the lemon law in my state (Texas) and the car can only be a lemon if the one problem still exists after the 3rd time it's been in the shop. What do I do at this point?
Sponsored

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
Definitely not a pleasure new car owning experience...how is the dealer handling this?

himecraig

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Mercedes 320slk 08 Ford Ranger fx4 17 Acura RDX adv 17 Honda Civic Hatch ex-l ns
Country flag
My wife used to work at a dealer writing up warranty claims.
she would document everything on her new vehicles...who when where what and get to know the service advisor.
Too bad electrical issues are a hassle...maybe something is happening with your wiring harness.
I hope the dealer is able to resolve.

Molatte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sedan Touring
Vehicle Showcase
It should also be noted that as far as I know, lemon law applies to problems that specifically cause safety problems. But I do understand your frustration at this point, OP. In my 10 months of owning my Touring, I've had:

- Cracked windshield (2 weeks into purchase)
- Replace battery 3 times (as it died 3 times)
- Alignment problems (that I've had to take three times to dealer back and forth to resolve)

And here are the problems that have yet to be resolved:

- Grinding noise at startup (impossible to get dealer to get this fixed because they can't 'replicate' it)
- Braking noise when reversing
- The occasional audio popping sound that appears from time to time but never when its at the dealer
- Audio randomly moving screens without me touching it

So yeah. I feel you OP.

1.5CivicEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Curious, is this common with Civics or just you having bad luck? I know the windshield is a definite problem on the VW GTI and many have cracking issues as the glass seems to be very thin. I've never heard of any common issues with Civics. I'm all highway driving so my windshields take a beating. The problems with the GTI have pretty much eliminated that vehicle unfortunately.

SonicTurbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX Hatchback w/ Honda Sensing, 2013 Mazda MX-5 GT
Curious, is this common with Civics or just you having bad luck? I know the windshield is a definite problem on the VW GTI and many have cracking issues as the glass seems to be very thin. I've never heard of any common issues with Civics. I'm all highway driving so my windshields take a beating. The problems with the GTI have pretty much eliminated that vehicle unfortunately.
Cracking windshields seems to be an increasingly common complaint across a number of brands and models in recent years. For example, it is so common on newer Subaru Outbacks (which is what I traded in when purchasing the Civic) that Subaru ended up sending letters to owners offering to reimburse them for cracked windshields. That being said, in 30k miles of mostly interstate driving the Outback with a number of rock impacts, my windshield never cracked. If the Civic does have a "weak" windshield, it is certainly not an issue isolated to Civics.

OP
OP

steviiee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
Definitely not a pleasure new car owning experience...how is the dealer handling this?
The dealer is listening to my problems and they're trying to fix them which is nice. They've also given me loaner cars every time I've taken my car in for service.

My wife used to work at a dealer writing up warranty claims.
she would document everything on her new vehicles...who when where what and get to know the service advisor.
Too bad electrical issues are a hassle...maybe something is happening with your wiring harness.
I hope the dealer is able to resolve.
For my first repair, I didn't really get to document what happened as I thought that was a one time and only problem. But, for the rest I've been documenting. That's what I'm trying to do, I'm trying to get to know the service advisor.
It should also be noted that as far as I know, lemon law applies to problems that specifically cause safety problems. But I do understand your frustration at this point, OP. In my 10 months of owning my Touring, I've had:

- Alignment problems (that I've had to take three times to dealer back and forth to resolve)

- Grinding noise at startup (impossible to get dealer to get this fixed because they can't 'replicate' it)
- The occasional audio popping sound that appears from time to time but never when its at the dealer

So yeah. I feel you OP.
Wow, I've been hearing about the problems you've been having. I hope they're all fixed.

himecraig

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Mercedes 320slk 08 Ford Ranger fx4 17 Acura RDX adv 17 Honda Civic Hatch ex-l ns
Country flag
Maybe it's an assembly plant problem or part recall.
Does this site have a x-subsection for tsb or chronic issues common to certain platforms?

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

So yeah. I feel you OP.
There is a TSB/fix for this now and every dealer is supposed to honor it and change out the old part

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

So yeah. I feel you OP.
TSB A17-003

upload_2017-3-23_14-19-33.png
Here is the grinding TSB

Molatte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sedan Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Here is the grinding TSB
I can pretty much tell you that my dealer will claim to not have been able to replicate it. Because I've tried this once. I brought it over to the dealer and had the Service Advisor replicate the problem when he was checking it out. And after getting checked in the back, the service advisor contradicts his earlier statement of being able to replicate the problem and makes up some lame excuse.

Molatte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sedan Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Here is the grinding TSB
I can pretty much tell you that my dealer will claim to not have been able to replicate it. Because I've tried this once. I brought it over to the dealer and had the Service Advisor replicate the problem when he was checking it out. And after getting checked in the back, the service advisor contradicts his earlier statement of being able to replicate the problem and makes up some lame excuse.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My dealer did that at first too. Once I saw this TSB, I called my adviser and they said bring it in. If yours is refusing, try a different Honda Service department. Im lucky to have 10 dealers in my area. I recorded mine make that noise. and it was fairly easy to replicate but the dealer just doesnt want to take the time to drive, shut it off, leave it outside, wait 10 minutes and restart it. Mind did it every freaking time.

van604

2016 Civic Touring
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ronaldleestudios.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag