Bought boost blue CTR recommended winter tire size?

LittleFoot

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Bought a 2020 boost blue Type R today, upgraded from a 2018 hatch sport, what tire size do those driving it in the winter have? Remained stock or downsized?

Thanks!!
Sponsored

EdG

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I have 235R40 18 tires, Michelin Alpina 4. Tirerack (and others) recommend decreasing tire width to dig into snow. Not sure if true but seems to work. I get good traction in snow in snow/slush. Use comfort (setting) so there is less immediate torque and less tire spin. I get similar traction as my previous daily driver, Infinti G37 with AWD and all weather tires. If driving in heavy snow (not sure how much snow you deal with), clearance not SUV like. I need to drive in all conditions but not in rural areas with deep snow.

OP
OP
LittleFoot

LittleFoot

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have 235R40 18 tires, Michelin Alpina 4. Tirerack (and others) recommend decreasing tire width to dig into snow. Not sure if true but seems to work. I get good traction in snow in snow/slush. Use comfort (setting) so there is less immediate torque and less tire spin. I get similar traction as my previous daily driver, Infinti G37 with AWD and all weather tires. If driving in heavy snow (not sure how much snow you deal with), clearance not SUV like. I need to drive in all conditions but not in rural areas with deep snow.
Sweet thank you!! yeah us in Nova Scotia is more less snow more rain and it freezes so

EdG

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Sweet thank you!! yeah us in Nova Scotia is more less snow more rain and it freezes so
Nova Scotia is some of the most some of the most beautiful areas I have ever driven. You have many very nice drives ahead.

I have read Michelin X-Ice Xi3 are better on ice. They are supposedly not as dynamic on dry roads as Alpinas, so it depends on how you will expect to drive and what conditions you will see. If you have potholes, I would invest in 18 rims and 18 inch tires with more rubber as the rims are 20 inch are pothole vulnerable. It is an investment but $500 per OEM rim is also pricy and the 18 inch tires are much cheaper with more options so worth the investment if you will be keeping CTR for a few seasons.

OrchidFc3

First Name
Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 1996 ITR, 1992 SI
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When are the boost blue coming to the Maritimes?! Super excited to see one haha. To bad you have to drive it in the winter :(

OP
OP
LittleFoot

LittleFoot

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When are the boost blue coming to the Maritimes?! Super excited to see one haha. To bad you have to drive it in the winter :(
Might be next week! And the valley ain’t so bad during winter in Nova Scotia it’s a bit warmer so it’s alright thought will ceramic coat her 100%

Muggsy

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2020 Lexus UX250h, 2012 Toyota Sienna
Country flag
My winter tires are Michelin X-Ice 245/40 on 18 inch rims. I had Continental all-seasons on the same rims before but switched to the Michelins this year. I definitely recommend downsizing, I sold my stock rims and run 19s in summer and 18s in winter. I expect the Michelins to be much better in snow but we haven't had any snow since I got them.

WhatThePuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Acura Rsx (sold), '19 CW CTR 23909
Country flag
My winter tires are Michelin X-Ice 245/40 on 18 inch rims. I had Continental all-seasons on the same rims before but switched to the Michelins this year. I definitely recommend downsizing, I sold my stock rims and run 19s in summer and 18s in winter. I expect the Michelins to be much better in snow but we haven't had any snow since I got them.
I have the same setup of the Michelins. This is my second winter running them and I really like them, I'll definitely be buying these again when time comes. :D

R-10552

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Acura RDX Aspec, 2019 Civic Si (wife's)
Country flag
Not sure what is the best tire size for Boost Blue.

haha. 245/35/20 is the closest size all-season tire. I think most go wit that. Or if you want to downsize, then 245/35/19 or 245/40/18. If you plan to drive in snow stick to the 245 width. Resist the urge to go wider.

OrchidFc3

First Name
Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 1996 ITR, 1992 SI
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Might be next week! And the valley ain’t so bad during winter in Nova Scotia it’s a bit warmer so it’s alright thought will ceramic coat her 100%
Woah nice!! Can't wait to see it. True you guys don't get as much snow as us lol. Yes ceramic coat would help for sure, I plan on doing mine also.

On another note, I had Bridgestone Blizzaks on my 2018 SI and they were amazing!

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
I have used Michelin X Ice, Yokohama Ice Guards, Blizzak 70s and 80s as well as BFG Winter Slalom KSIs on different cars. Hated the Michelins the most. Excellent on ice but couldn't handle snow at all. The BFGs were the opposite. Very happy with the Blizzaks.

Also definitely go skinny. Used to drive a Camaro all winter in Ontario on 215s when the standard size was 245 or 275. As long as the tire is tall enough you won't have an issue. Might not be able to get wheels narrow enough though.

R19904

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR
Country flag
235R40 18 tires. I picked up a set of cheap volk looking knockoffs from tirerack and went with the Michelin Ice-X. They have been great as far as wet/ice/and cold. No snow this year to speak of so didn't get to test that out. Like others have said go skinnier and higher sidewall. The car will feel little floaty compared to the 20's with sticky rubber bands but you adjust quickly.
Sponsored