Bought A Used Civic that Was A lease

LampRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Just kinda curious what you guys think. I got my Civic Si from a dealer certified preowned, im the second owner. Car was a lease and was driven 15K miles. For those of you who are leasing a Si, do you treat the car like shit? I know in my city people with leases treat there cars like shit and regularly miss maintenance schedules. Not really worried about reliability issue too much since its low miles and I will take car of the car but I guess its always good to know.
Sponsored

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
At 15k miles, the only maintenance the car would've needed is a couple of oil changes.

I have leased cars, I have financed cars and I have owned cars outright. Took care of all of them the same.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Mine was a lease car for the first 8,000 miles. Or course it's an LX. But I did the CarFax and any other thing that was available, inspected it carefully, and hoped for the best.

Unless you see evidence of aftermarket stuff, wire splices, etc... I think you're probably okay.

Diamond Ned

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I just bought a 2017 sport hatch that was a one owner lease, 30k miles. Doesnt seem like it was beat on at all, its in great shape. Had all the service recordsbeing originally from that dealer too.

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had a 2018 civic si coupe lease before I financed my current one, and in all honesty, I beat the absolute shit out of it.

I went WOT almost every time I drove, unfortunately money shifted in it once, drove it hard fairly often through the mountains and always had it on sport mode.

Then again, that's not the case for every lease. Just as much as you have a chance someone beat on it there's an equal chance that someone just leased it for a daily driver and it saw mostly highway miles. It's also probably likely that whoever leased it before you filled it up with regular a ton, nothing bad with it but just make sure you drain the tank and get it all out before filling 91+. You never know, lease or not, it's still a used car

HustedDrums

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type-R
Country flag
You're rolling the dice with any car that is pre-owned. Leased or not. BUT, you do buy things that are pre-owned all the time off of Ebay, right? Same concept with cars but there's no straight answer because no one is the same.

I am leasing my 2019 Civic Si 2DR and I don't beat the heck out of it. I do have fun with the vehicle AT TIMES. But with anything, moderation is key. These Si's are built to last. Only thing that is weak in these cars is the clutch but I'd only be worried about it later on after lots of mods on the car. These blocks are meant to be rev'd high.

That being said, majority of people that lease cars do not care about the vehicle because "Yeah, it's just a lease." There are some outliers like a few in this forum and I. You'll never know the full story of the car, but I wouldn't sketch over it if you got a good deal and you're planning on keeping the car. The Si only calls for filter/oil changes at 15k miles.

Cheers.

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You're rolling the dice with any car that is pre-owned. Leased or not. BUT, you do buy things that are pre-owned all the time off of Ebay, right? Same concept with cars but there's no straight answer because no one is the same.

I am leasing my 2019 Civic Si 2DR and I don't beat the heck out of it. I do have fun with the vehicle AT TIMES. But with anything, moderation is key. These Si's are built to last. Only thing that is weak in these cars is the clutch but I'd only be worried about it later on after lots of mods on the car. These blocks are meant to be rev'd high.

That being said, majority of people that lease cars do not care about the vehicle because "Yeah, it's just a lease." There are some outliers like a few in this forum and I. You'll never know the full story of the car, but I wouldn't sketch over it if you got a good deal and you're planning on keeping the car. The Si only calls for filter/oil changes at 15k miles.

Cheers.
Yup agreed. Like he said these si's are reliable I highly doubt you'll have any engine issues, only main thing I'd worry about is clutch slippage if the previous owner had tuned and flashed to stock, seen it happen on these forums before. In any case that does happen just bring it back to the dealer asap and try to get them to do something since it's not your fault at all and should be under warranty/cpo warranty

redcoats1976

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic coupe,2015 camaro RS
Country flag
my 2018 coupe has 33,000 miles and was a lease.no problems mechanically but some stone chips on the hood.im going to fix them this winter after i retire,too damn hot now.

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Better a lease return than a former rental car any day.
Especially a lease return purchased CPO at a Honda dealer.
Any dealer will hold onto cream-puff meticulous lease returns and sell them on their own lot as used cars.
Anything that isn’t near perfect goes to auction and ends up on Mom & Pop used car lots.
Those are the cars to avoid as used car purchases.
Sponsored