Borla S-Type vs Invidia Gemeni R400 (Hatchback, non-R)

Neil_FK7

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT (White Orchid Pearl)
Country flag
Hey guys, I'm wondering if anyone with either the Borla S-Type or Invidia R400 has sound clips of their exhaust. deciding which one I wanna buy, any input is also welcome!
Sponsored

fabster22

First Name
Fabian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatchback Sport 6MT , 2018 Accord Lx
Country flag
thanks for the vid, is there drone in the cabin?
There’s very little drone. It’s a deep sound, but noticeable.

DRTHVDR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CivicX Hatch
Country flag
Had an Invidia N1 race exhaust on my STI. I plan on the r400 or q300 once $ gets freed up. Really enjoyed the N1. Post up after install. I'm curious to see your thoughts.

OP
OP
Neil_FK7

Neil_FK7

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Had an Invidia N1 race exhaust on my STI. I plan on the r400 or q300 once $ gets freed up. Really enjoyed the N1. Post up after install. I'm curious to see your thoughts.
it's on backorder right now, should ship out in a week and a half. will definitely update you guys once I get it on

OP
OP
Neil_FK7

Neil_FK7

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Not sure how different the R400 is for the FK7, but on the SI the drone was awful and if you go on long drives you’re going to hate it. Even before I paired a DP with it, the cabin drone would drown out normal conversations in the car. It’s the main reason I’m not picking it for my FK8.
if im thinking of the right one, I think the Si version has the 3-tip design and the fk7 one has the dual tip. not sure of that's the only difference but I guess i'll find out once it comes in

OP
OP
Neil_FK7

Neil_FK7

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The SI did have the triple, so could be part of the issue.
I loved it at first, but on cold days it was enough to wake up my gf on the opposite side of our house and I’m sure some neighbors too, and drone became much worse.
I park my car reverse in the garage so even the quiet stock exhaust echoes on cold start, this should be interesting with the Invidia haha. luckily everyone starts waking up around the time I leave so it shouldn't be too much of an issue. as for the drone, do you have a clip of it by chance?

OP
OP
Neil_FK7

Neil_FK7

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have a car port, so no walls to even reverberate from. That’s when I knew I needed to likely make a change so my neighborhood didn’t start messing with me or giving me the evil stare. And I don’t unfortunately. I have never owned any kind of decent camera and my iPhone could never capture it well.
well, looks like I'll find out in two weeks if it's right for me. fingers crossed

OP
OP
Neil_FK7

Neil_FK7

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I enjoyed it pre-downpipe. It was loud, and there was drone, but by myself in the car I didn't care/mind. My gf did a bit, but she got used to it, and pre-downpipe, I wouldn't say it's loud enough that my neighbors would be as upset. Post-downpipe it was all game over for all the above, then once I added a 62a RMM the inside of the car just became unbearable after 15 minutes of driving.
man that sounds rough :/. I initially bought a catless downpipe before the exhaust because I hadn't considered that it would make it THAT much louder in addition, so I have a brand new downpipe just sitting around collecting dust

Mintmoney15

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic hatchback sport
Country flag
I have had the Borla s type of my fk7 for about 2 weeks now and it’s awesome. It sounds great very little drown and the install was VERY easy. I highly recommend

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was thoroughly amazed at the difference the downpipe made when I installed it. I was planning a bit louder, but when I started it (installed at family’s house, didn’t have a garage then) they all came out and asked me what I did wrong lol. After doing a quick test drive around the neighborhood and coming back, I mentioned it was a bit louder and they all just go “oh we know, we heard the entire drive.”
I hate to talk about it that way because the exhaust looked amazing, and by itself is tolerable on the si, but I also see a lot of people downplay the exhaust noise with a catless DP when people are wanting quieter/daily driver suggestions when the reality of it for me was that it is not a DD setup. Hopefully the twin pipe set is better than the si though.

I really appreciate your honestly with your posts on this exhaust setup. I'm currently looking around to find a non-Si, single exhaust for my hatchback. I like QUIET but free flowing. I currently have a 3" PRL downpipe. An AFE front pipe is currently being installed but my 3" Hybrid Injen exhaust may not be mating up to the AFE quite right. I'll know more later.

What was super important with when I had full 3" PRL Downpipe/Frontpipe with 3" Injen exhaust was the muffler itself. I had the Injen 'resonator' (It wasn't a muffler) cut off and put as big a straight through muffler I could on it. The sound was deep but was a tad bit annoying during long drives. Then I had a large 3" muffler that wasn't straight through installed. It was free flowing but not straight through (where you can see through one end to the other). THIS setup was perfect. It was even moderately quiet at wide open throttle. I loved it! I'd highly recommend a setup like this for flow but being as quiet as possible.
Sponsored