First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
Hey guys,

Just installed a PRL intercooler and charge pipe kit over the weekend. While testing it one of the pipes popped off so I decided to make a boost leak tester.

I tested the system and pressurized it up to 25psi. Right around 25psi there begins to be a whistle that comes from the spark plugs/valve cover. (RED CIRCLE). It this normal? Should I be concerned? It was accompanied with the faint smell of gasoline.

Honda Civic 10th gen Boost Leak? Whistling Spark Plugs? 20220613_192901

Thanks.
Sponsored

Heavy Foot

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda RF 2021 Toyota Supra GR 3.0
Country flag
is your check engine light on?

PRL Motorsports

Premium Performance Products
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag
In that configuration, you are actually pressurizing your crank case.
I'd be VERY cautious with the amount of pressure you use to test as you can very easily blow out crankseal.
Honda designed the Crank Case ventilation with the intention of the inlet pipe never seeing boost.
The whistling you hear is very likely a mix of the PCV (Positive Crankcase Valve) and some leakage throughout the engine. I would not consider any of this a concern.

OP
OP
Pe0plez

Pe0plez

First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
In that configuration, you are actually pressurizing your crank case.
I'd be VERY cautious with the amount of pressure you use to test as you can very easily blow out crankseal.
Honda designed the Crank Case ventilation with the intention of the inlet pipe never seeing boost.
The whistling you hear is very likely a mix of the PCV (Positive Crankcase Valve) and some leakage throughout the engine. I would not consider any of this a concern.
Thanks for the reply. I had a 1.5hr drive to my work site today with no issues and from my occasional glance I was hitting my target boost. I'll review the log when I get home, but I think we're all good!
Sponsored