MDTNGENX

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
So this is my second boosted car from factory. It's currently bone stock as I have just came out of factory warranty period.

My question is for people who have a better understanding of how boost works; and properly understanding how to read the boost gauge.

I've noticed alot of the time while driving on the interstate around 75ish that my readout is almost constantly at 0 psi. I seen somewhere that this puts strain on the waste gate and I should keep that number lower while not in boost.

The thing is if I don't maintain that throttle my car is constantly dipping below 70. I drive 100 miles round trip to work every day all all but maybe 4-6 miles is highway.

Is this normal?

For context Tennessee interstates are not flat for the most part by any means. Usually alot of hills and slopes with slight straights in between.
Sponsored

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Completely normal and I've never heard anything about stressing a wastegate. It's just a metal flap on a lever connected to a linkage. You could easily hold it closed, or in any position for that matter, with you hand.

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
These cars are targeting as little pumping losses as possible during cruise. The cam phasing is scavenging along with the wastegate doing its thing.

Ideal/efficient acceleration is at atmospheric pressure for these cars. Driving with the gauge reading 0 ish (more vacuum always better). If you notice the car has a very slight hump to get over when it gets much over zero and starts building boost. Lots of things happening at all times to meet torque target while being as efficient as possible.

OP
OP
MDTNGENX

MDTNGENX

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
That's good to know. I'm sure it was a reddit post or something along the lines that gave me the idea. Thanks for the feedback guys
Sponsored