OP
Yosteak

Yosteak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 honda civic si
Country flag
Absolutely. Especially if the intake isn't an Injen. ;)

For the record, generally speaking a TSP tune does just fine with the mods the OP has. I don't know much about the MAPerformance intake though and Derek is skeptical. But that really wouldn't affect boost numbers as much as it would fuel trims.

Quick question to the OP. Are you seeing 27 psi for an extended amount of time or just a split second blip?
Please post up a datalog.
I will see it for a period of time boost comes on strong then will see it until I shift gears. I also hear this sound too

For the record, generally speaking a TSP tune does just fine with the mods the OP has. I don't know much about the MAPerformance intake though and Derek is skeptical. But that inconsistent MAF wouldn't affect boost numbers as much as it would fuel trims.

Quick question to the OP. Are you seeing 27 psi for an extended amount of time or just a split second blip?

For the record, generally speaking a TSP tune does just fine with the mods the OP has. I don't know much about the MAPerformance intake though and Derek is skeptical. But that inconsistent MAF wouldn't affect boost numbers as much as it would fuel trims.

I do see it for a good amount of time it won't go down unless I shift but I will post datalog this weekend I am working long shifts with mandatory OT. I really appreciate everyone's help
Sponsored

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
"Will work" and "designed to be used with" are two different things.

Derek has said it before that it was developed on a factory vehicle.

Can it be used with quality bolt ons? Of course.

Can certain combinations of bolt ons create issues? Obviously.

Im just telling you there isnt anything likely wrong with the car or the tune file.

Hes eliminated a rather large restriction post turbo combined with an uncalibrated intake.....all bets are off at that point.

Again, op needs a custom tune.
What restriction post turbo? A cat back? Hardly an issue. I ran TSP on a catless DP without seeing boost spikes like his.

All of your logic thus far has been flawed. Bolt ons, especially the ones he has, would not cause boost spike.

I never blamed the tune, and if you scroll all the way back to my first response you'll see that my first course of action would be to verify actual manifold pressure, not blame the file.

It has been proven 100x over that minor bolt ons work fine with OTS maps.

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
We needs us some logs here. Or pics from your ktuner screen showing some data and graphs.

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
What restriction post turbo? A cat back? Hardly an issue. I ran TSP on a catless DP without seeing boost spikes like his.

All of your logic thus far has been flawed. Bolt ons, especially the ones he has, would not cause boost spike.

I never blamed the tune, and if you scroll all the way back to my first response you'll see that my first course of action would be to verify actual manifold pressure, not blame the file.

It has been proven 100x over that minor bolt ons work fine with OTS maps.
I guess some confusion in that term post turbo as that is downpipe exhaust traditionally speaking. I should have said post compressor wheel/ pre throttle body I guess...lol... I am referring to the intercooler.

A datalog would tell the true map reading which as stated would help.
From my experience the gauge in the cluster is fairly accurate but afaik its factored on multiple pressure readings in the system.

My logic is fine...intercooler or downpipe change affects targetted boost even so far as creating oscillations from the ecu trying to compensate for scenarios like this.

I would lay money down that if op were to switch the intercooler and intake back to stock, he would not see the over boost he is. Which would simply end this thread.

Or he could get the parts adjusted for in the computer and also have the problem resolved.

Everything else we are sitting here doing is a waste of time.

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I guess some confusion in that term post turbo as that is downpipe exhaust traditionally speaking. I should have said post compressor wheel/ pre throttle body I guess...lol... I am referring to the intercooler.

A datalog would tell the true map reading which as stated would help.
From my experience the gauge in the cluster is fairly accurate but afaik its factored on multiple pressure readings in the system.

My logic is fine...intercooler or downpipe change affects targetted boost even so far as creating oscillations from the ecu trying to compensate for scenarios like this.

I would lay money down that if op were to switch the intercooler and intake back to stock, he would not see the over boost he is. Which would simply end this thread.

Or he could get the parts adjusted for in the computer and also have the problem resolved.

Everything else we are sitting here doing is a waste of time.
I don't wanna argue, buuuuuuuuuut...
All OTS tunes like TSP and Phearable are is tweaked basemaps, some more aggressive than others.
I'd be willing to bet there are 10 OTS/basemap users to every 1 custom tuned car. (I wish there was maybe someone around here who kept track of that stuff ? )
So of the 91% of tuned cars all of them with minor bolt on should be seeing similar issues?

My belief is there is an issue with the MAP sensor/wastegate control that is either:
1. Sending a false reading to the cluster or
2. Allowing the car to make that kind of pressure without boost control strategy stepping in.

While I agree that EVERYONE who wants to tune these cars should get a custom tune, the overwhelming majority has proved they aren't willing to spend $1000+ on a tuning solution and custom tune. That is why the OTS market is as big as it is. As someone who tried to sell OTS maps in the past, I'd think you'd have a better understanding of this.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Hmmm... well I heard there is a guy that keeps track of that stuff. Heard he goes by gtguy or something like that. :cool:

So let me throw some stats out there. And yes, my tuning survey thead only has 580 tuned users so far but we have the spectrum of tuned 10th gens. Si's, non-Si turbos, CTR's and 2.0 NA's.

Here's some numbers:

Of those 580 cars, 15 had major transmission or engine failures where a replacement was needed. That's a 2.6% failure rate, total.

Of the failed cars, 8 were running base or ots tunes. Of those 8 cars, 5 owners admitted abuse or some sort of mistake/neglect. Those other 3 base/ots failures may have been due to factory defects, not sure though.

Of the 580 cars submitted, 110 are custom tuned. So about 19%.

Of the 580 cars, 119 (21%) are on full bolts on and a large portion of those are custom tuned. 275 cars (47%) have at least one bolt on. 186 (32%) are on near stock (no bolt ons) setups.

I think its safe to say the majority of tuned 10th gens running tunes (without abuse or neglect) are doing well.

Last edited:

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Hmmm... well I heard there is a guy that keeps track of that stuff. Heard he goes by gtguy or something like that. :cool:

So let me throw some stats out there. And yes, my tuning survey thead only has 580 tuned users so far but we have the spectrum of tuned 10th gens. Si's, non-Si turbos, CTR's and 2.0 NA's.

Here's some numbers:

Of those 580 cars, 14 had major transmission or engine failures where a replacement was needed. That's a 2.6% failure rate, total.

Of the failed cars, 8 were running base or ots tunes. Of those 8 cars, 5 owners admitted abuse or some sort of mistake/neglect. And those other 3 base/ots failures may have been due to factory defects.

Of the 580 cars submitted, 110 are custom tuned. So about 19%.

Of the 580 cars, 119 (21%) are on full bolts on and a large portion of those are custom tuned. 275 cars (47%) have at least one bolt on. 186 (32%) are on near stock (no bolt ons) setups.

I think its safe to say the majority of tuned 10th gens running tunes (without abuse or neglect) are doing well.
I am one of those failures! I maintained my car really well and definitely didn't abuse it. I clearly had my own issues, but I'll just say I was running FBO (- turbo) for quite a while and NEVER saw an overboost like OP has shown. Intake, race MAF, downpipe, FMIC, everything. My boost vs target was pretty much bang on.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Btw, hobby-man's failure was the one that shocked me more than any other. He definitely didn't abuse his car and maintained it excellently. I'd lean toward some manufacturing defect as a possible cause in his car. We've also recently found out via eman that the 1.5 non-Si sedans and coupes use Si rods. For some reason, Honda uses slighty weaker rods in the 1.5 turbo hatches. Most non-Si failures were in the hatchbacks.

One other note about failures. 7 of the 15 failed cars were using custom tuning. So 7 failures from 119 custom tunes (5.8%). That's a much higher failure rate than base or ots setups. For the most part, that probably reflects the higher power output of those tunes.

Back to the OP though, we REALLY need that datalog.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Yosteak

Yosteak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 honda civic si
Country flag
We needs us some logs here. Or pics from your ktuner screen showing some data and graphs.
Btw, hobby-man's failure was the one that shocked me more than any other. He definitely didn't abuse his car and maintained it excellently. I'd lean toward some manufacturing defect as a possible cause in his car. We've also recently found out via eman that the 1.5 non-Si sedans and coupes use Si rods. For some reason, Honda uses slighty weaker rods in the 1.5 turbo hatches. Most non-Si failures were in the hatchbacks.

One other note about failures. 7 of the 15 failed cars were using custom tuning. So 7 failures from 119 custom tunes (5.8%). That's a much higher failure rate than base or ots setups. For the most part, that probably reflects the higher power output of those tunes.

Back to the OP though, we REALLY need that datalog.
Datalog will come this weekend I am a travelling maintenance man for mister car wash so I am far from my car I will be back on Saturday morning. Again I am thankful for all help and advice I am getting means a lot to me how great the 10th gen community is

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
As someone who tried to sell OTS maps in the past, I'd think you'd have a better understanding of this.
Just needed to correct you on this part....not one time have a charged or attempted to sell any file to anyone. I OFFERED the file I had to anyone who asked. Assisted anyone who reached out to me for assistance. If the op was using a hondata unit I would have already offered to fix the issue for him if the file was editable. Alas the folks actually charging and making money on these files keep them locked.

This overboost concern literally could be fixed or at least tested with about 2 minutes worth of time.

Im not at all saying everyone should have issues. All cars are different and with the variance in offerings from multiple companies everyones mileage will vary.

No argument here only discussion.

Im just stating what I know would fix the issue if it was my car....not asking....not arguing....

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Just needed to correct you on this part....not one time have a charged or attempted to sell any file to anyone.
My bad. I never saw a price in the post, and saw a "if interested PM me" which is usually forum speak for hiding a price. I made an assumption and if I was wrong, you have my apologies.
Sponsored