Boost creep!! Help

Yosteak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 honda civic si
Country flag
I am running TSP stage 1 and I am using Map 2 all the time when I get on my throttle the it shows 27psi and I am getting pretty nervous about my motor blowing up. I have read on the forum that it can be my intake. When I get on the throttle I get no CEL or I have not gone into limp mode at all wondering if anyone have any boost creep issues and how can I resolve this

Mod list
K tuner V2
Tsp Stage 1
Ma performance intake
Ark performance Exhaust
Mishimoto intercooler
Stock downpipe/ stock front pipe
Sponsored

Last edited:

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
I’m not much help when it comes to tuning, but that much boost when other parameters aren’t set for it sounds like a one way ticket to pound town real quick.

Baby that shit and find a shop that can diagnose the issue with the wastegate or why you might be getting creep.

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
27 psi on a stock downpipe? Doubtful. I'd guess the MAP sensor is reading incorrectly, and would hook up a mechanical vacuum/boost gauge to it to confirm.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
First thing I would do is flash to a KTuner basemap and see if the issue persists. If it still reads super high you can look at something mechanical or as @WhiskeyTango said maybe a faulty sensor. If it goes away, maybe a tune issue and contact TSP.

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
First thing I would do is flash to a KTuner basemap and see if the issue persists. If it still reads super high you can look at something mechanical or as @WhiskeyTango said maybe a faulty sensor. If it goes away, maybe a tune issue and contact TSP.
I just have a hard time believing that the baby stock turbo is even capable of 27 psi with the restriction of the stock dp.

But your advice is the best way to go. Flash back to a basemap or stock and see if the problem persists.

OP
OP
Yosteak

Yosteak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 honda civic si
Country flag
I just have a hard time believing that the baby stock turbo is even capable of 27 psi with the restriction of the stock dp.

But your advice is the best way to go. Flash back to a basemap or stock and see if the problem persists.
Yea I was thinking that too but I don't know how accurate the dashboard boost gauge is

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Yea I was thinking that too but I don't know how accurate the dashboard boost gauge is
its accurate "enough". But I'd monitor boost values with a mechanical gauge, and also keep an eye on what KTuner tells you as well.

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
The intercooler/intake are the problem. That tune file wasnt really designed for bolt on cars (albeit people frequently use it with bolt ons- the degree of issues or not is subject to differences in each individual setup). If you had a hardware issue that was the "cars" fault then it would be coding and lighting up the dash.

All the boost targets etc do not know when you start changing parts that affect the volumetric efficiency of the system.

Bluntly, you need a custom tune.

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
The intercooler/intake are the problem. That tune file wasnt really designed for bolt on cars (albeit people frequently use it with bolt ons- the degree of issues or not is subject to differences in each individual setup). If you had a hardware issue that was the "cars" fault then it would be coding and lighting up the dash.

All the boost targets etc do not know when you start changing parts that affect the volumetric efficiency of the system.

Bluntly, you need a custom tune.
Intercooler and intake? I'm kinda skeptical on that...

TSP 1 should handle those bolt ons without issues.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag

It literally says on the TSP product page that quality aftermarket intakes and downpipes are supported. No reason the FMIC would cause an issue either.

FC1Dawn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Last edited:

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
"Will work" and "designed to be used with" are two different things.

Derek has said it before that it was developed on a factory vehicle.

Can it be used with quality bolt ons? Of course.

Can certain combinations of bolt ons create issues? Obviously.

Im just telling you there isnt anything likely wrong with the car or the tune file.

Hes eliminated a rather large restriction post turbo combined with an uncalibrated intake.....all bets are off at that point.

Again, op needs a custom tune.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase

Absolutely. Especially if the intake isn't an Injen. ;)

For the record, generally speaking a TSP tune does just fine with the mods the OP has. I don't know much about the MAPerformance intake though and Derek is skeptical. But that inconsistent MAF wouldn't affect boost numbers as much as it would fuel trims.

Quick question to the OP. Are you seeing 27 psi for an extended amount of time or just a split second blip?
Please post up a datalog.
Sponsored