Boomba Racing Rear Motor Mount Installed

cmwalton16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe ABM, 2016 Civic Touring CBP
Country flag
I just installed the Boomba Racing Rear Motor Mount this morning, and the install went pretty painless. Pulled the car up on a set of ramps and followed the installation instruction video on their website.

I knew going into this, that it is going to cause more vibrations in the cabin/steering wheel/shifter. When I first put the car in reverse to back down the ramps the vibration was HORRIBLE! Really bad/loud vibrations that I could feel in my seat and everything I touched in the car. When I put the car in drive and go, everything is fine. There are some minimal vibration in the lower RPMs, and coming to a complete stop but this is what I would expect with the mount. I drove the car about 15 mins and then came back to the house. Once I put it in reverse to back up into my parking spot, again with the HORRIBLE vibrations. Has anyone experience this, any ideas? I'm not sure what is going on but I definitely don't like it.

Help!

Update 2/20/17

After about 250 miles with the mount on, the park and reverse vibrations are just unbearable. Boomba replied today. They said their engineers said to torque to 69 ft lbs on both bolts. When I installed it, I had only torqued the chassis side to 67 and the engine side to 45 (it felt like less effort when loosened than the chassis side). So I came home today to see if torquing both bolts to 69 would resolve the issue. When I attempted to tighten the engine side to 69 it wouldn't go higher than about 31 before dropping back down to the low twenties (using a digital torque wrench). I was worried the bolt may be stretching or something compressing so at that point I decided to remove the part. I installed the OEM mount back into the car and torqued everything down with no problems. As you can see in the last picture I added, it was actually the Boomba mount that was compressing based on the indentions you can see.

I am dissatisfied all around with the product.

Honda Civic 10th gen Boomba Racing Rear Motor Mount Installed yZfVqwW

Honda Civic 10th gen Boomba Racing Rear Motor Mount Installed xmYkihi

Honda Civic 10th gen Boomba Racing Rear Motor Mount Installed L3s2ef4

Last edited:

jeffbatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan, 2000 S2000
I had the same experience doing this to my old RSX but with a hasport mount.

It drove nicely but the vibrations at idle were too much for me to deal with. I took it off after a day, it almost felt like the car was going to shake itself apart :/

I wish someone would make one that was just slightly harder rubber than stock rather than poly.

OP
OP
cmwalton16

cmwalton16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I had the same experience doing this to my old RSX but with a hasport mount.

It drove nicely but the vibrations at idle were too much for me to deal with. I took it off after a day, it almost felt like the car was going to shake itself apart :/

I wish someone would make one that was just slightly harder rubber than stock rather than poly.

Well, I can say that things have calmed down after another 30-40 miles. Park and Reverse are still more vibration that I would like, but it still seems to be getting better. I'll let it settle in over the next couple of days and give a better review then.

Meanwhile, I can say that wheel hop is gone, and the annoying jerkiness after you brake fairly quickly and then have to get back on the gas is gone. Loving the way it is driving, just hope the park/reverse vibrations get better.

Boomba Racing

Civic X Vendor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.boombaracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport, 2018 Civic Type-R, 2010 Civic SI, 2015 Civic SI,
Country flag
Thanks for taking the time to post a review and feedback of the mount.

There are a couple things we'd like to make everyone aware of:

Our style of motor mount breaks in over the first 1,000-1,500 miles. In the beginning the vibrations may be on the higher side, but as you drive the vibrations will lessen. This is due to the polyurethane settling in the mount itself.

As with any aftermarket motor mount, there will be increased vibrations. This is the tradeoff for performance. It is always about finding that balancing point between NVH (noise vibration harshness) and increased performance. Before the release of this mount we tested many different durometer bushings. This is the one we settled on because it met the criteria the best. It did a great job of increasing performance by reducing wheel spin and wheel hop, while not being overly aggressive as far as vibrations go.

Installation is simple and even uses OEM Honda torque specifications on the bolts.

OP
OP
cmwalton16

cmwalton16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for taking the time to post a review and feedback of the mount.

There are a couple things we'd like to make everyone aware of:

Our style of motor mount breaks in over the first 1,000-1,500 miles. In the beginning the vibrations may be on the higher side, but as you drive the vibrations will lessen. This is due to the polyurethane settling in the mount itself.

As with any aftermarket motor mount, there will be increased vibrations. This is the tradeoff for performance. It is always about finding that balancing point between NVH (noise vibration harshness) and increased performance. Before the release of this mount we tested many different durometer bushings. This is the one we settled on because it met the criteria the best. It did a great job of increasing performance by reducing wheel spin and wheel hop, while not being overly aggressive as far as vibrations go.

Installation is simple and even uses OEM Honda torque specifications on the bolts.
Care to address the fact that it couldn't be torqued down to 69 ft lbs? As you see in the picture, it started compressing.

Boomba Racing

Civic X Vendor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.boombaracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport, 2018 Civic Type-R, 2010 Civic SI, 2015 Civic SI,
Country flag
Care to address the fact that it couldn't be torqued down to 69 ft lbs? As you see in the picture, it started compressing.
Are you referring to the small notch in the aluminum?

That scratching is normal when tightening aluminum pieces to spec.

OP
OP
cmwalton16

cmwalton16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Are you referring to the small notch in the aluminum?

That scratching is normal when tightening aluminum pieces to spec.
That's all well and good if you can hit the torque spec, but it didn't. No problems torquing the stock mount. I can see this is going no where, thanks anyways.

OP
OP
cmwalton16

cmwalton16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
what ramp are you using? does it hit the bumper ?
Rhino 12k. They do touch the bumper but I am able to slide them all the way up to the tire before slowly pulling up with no problems or damage to the bumper. Just have to be careful and slow.

Notmighty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accords couple ex-l 6cylinder 1999 Si 96k greddy turbo kit
well I have the Boomba Racing mount on my man-trans 17 and I have 3k miles on the mount and the only time I feel/hear the vibration Is cold idle and take off. I too contacted them once the mount was installed due to the vibration but I can honestly say it will get better over time.

fightermav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe 1.5T WOP
well I have the Boomba Racing mount on my man-trans 17 and I have 3k miles on the mount and the only time I feel/hear the vibration Is cold idle and take off. I too contacted them once the mount was installed due to the vibration but I can honestly say it will get better over time.
Glad you posted this because everyone had me thinking it was a bad idea but screw it I'm going to install it and see.

Notmighty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accords couple ex-l 6cylinder 1999 Si 96k greddy turbo kit
Glad you posted this because everyone had me thinking it was a bad idea but screw it I'm going to install it and see.
Like I said the first 1k was honestly! I did go back and fourth on going back to the stock I'm glad I waited it out.