Bu66a

First Name
Maurice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Ex-T Sedan
Country flag
Just FYI there are many members on this forum who experienced engine issues after installing this... I know it sounds cool and I obviously played with the idea of getting one but after seeing people remove them due to issues they couldn't diagnose, I decided the "pshhh" sound wasn't worth it.

Our cars use BPVs which recirculates the unused air back into the intake. This is because the MAF is accounting for all the air that goes into the intake even after the throttle is fully shut. With a BOV, you release the unused air after the throttle is shut, this tricks the MAF into thinking that you have more compressed air than you actually do which makes you run rich.

Run rich = too much fuel and not enough air

KramVT0215

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe, 2008 Acura TL
Country flag
^This...also best thing to do if you wanna hear the turbo more is just toss an intake on it. The problem with a VTA blow off valve is its releasing air that has already been metered which causes the rich condition. This has been debated many times and explained in depth by Vit.

Some people may not have seen issues with running them but in the long run I can't imagine it being good for the turbo or other internals.

chiefbrody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
the BOV is not really as much of an issue on the CVT because it only blows off if you let off the throttle after a hard acceleration. obviously if you're driving around purposefully making it blow off then you're creating the rich condition.

on my daily commute to work ~60 miles on the highway and mine doesn't blow off because the CVT shifts through the gears with no pause so IMO BOV is worse for the 6MT guys

also shout out to the guy who quit the forum after getting into an argument on Vits BOV thread, he made a good point that yes, it will cause a rich condition for a few seconds but ultimately its not really hurting anything

Bu66a

First Name
Maurice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Ex-T Sedan
Country flag
the BOV is not really as much of an issue on the CVT because it only blows off if you let off the throttle after a hard acceleration. obviously if you're driving around purposefully making it blow off then you're creating the rich condition.

on my daily commute to work ~60 miles on the highway and mine doesn't blow off because the CVT shifts through the gears with no pause so IMO BOV is worse for the 6MT guys

also shout out to the guy who quit the forum after getting into an argument on Vits BOV thread, he made a good point that yes, it will cause a rich condition for a few seconds but ultimately its not really hurting anything
LOL didn't know about that guy. You are correct to an extent. It won't hurt anything short term but if you plan on keeping the car, it will create a lot more issues down the road with carbon build up and extra heat. This is purely for longevity purposes, but if you're gunna flip the car is 5 or so years then it shouldn't be a huge issue. Also I agree that it's worse for the 6mt than the CVT as the 6mt releases a lot more of the air even over 1 drive. As you said, the CVT won't release every shift and will only release air when you let off the throttle at higher rpms. With a 6mt the air is essentially released everytime you shift

KramVT0215

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe, 2008 Acura TL
Country flag
Lol some people can't handle the internet and cry I remember that thread :D

OP
OP
t_rankel

t_rankel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Just FYI there are many members on this forum who experienced engine issues after installing this... I know it sounds cool and I obviously played with the idea of getting one but after seeing people remove them due to issues they couldn't diagnose, I decided the "pshhh" sound wasn't worth it.

Our cars use BPVs which recirculates the unused air back into the intake. This is because the MAF is accounting for all the air that goes into the intake even after the throttle is fully shut. With a BOV, you release the unused air after the throttle is shut, this tricks the MAF into thinking that you have more compressed air than you actually do which makes you run rich.

Run rich = too much fuel and not enough air
I'm kinda sketched out now. I don't know too much about how the engine operates. I appreciate your feedback. Here's what boomba had to say about It.

"This is a full vent to atmosphere BOV. The vehicle uses a complex method of MAP and MAF sensors to monitor what the vehicle is doing with incoming and outgoing air. The spring pressure we use in our BOV was carefully chosen so that the vehicle's operation is not negatively impacted from running this BOV. There is no stuttering, no increased turbo lag, and no check engine lights from running our BOV. The stock BPV features very poor construction and is made from cheap plastic and rubber and features a very flimsy spring. Our valve has aircraft grade billet aluminum, a brass piston, and Viton O-rings and is tested to 100 PSI to ensure leak free operation. All of our BOVs also carry a lifetime warranty to the original owner."

View attachment 48096

Lybrik

First Name
Kirby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x
Country flag
I'm kinda sketched out now. I don't know too much about how the engine operates. I appreciate your feedback. Here's what boomba had to say about It.

"This is a full vent to atmosphere BOV. The vehicle uses a complex method of MAP and MAF sensors to monitor what the vehicle is doing with incoming and outgoing air. The spring pressure we use in our BOV was carefully chosen so that the vehicle's operation is not negatively impacted from running this BOV. There is no stuttering, no increased turbo lag, and no check engine lights from running our BOV. The stock BPV features very poor construction and is made from cheap plastic and rubber and features a very flimsy spring. Our valve has aircraft grade billet aluminum, a brass piston, and Viton O-rings and is tested to 100 PSI to ensure leak free operation. All of our BOVs also carry a lifetime warranty to the original owner."

View attachment 48096
Just use it and if a problem arises you know where to look first :thumbsup:

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vit Tuned on the Civic X FB page absolutely destroyed the Boomba BOV. There was a pretty technical discussion about how it worked. I'm no engineer and I don't work on cars so not sure but based on Vit's reputation I would trust his judgement to not use the BOV. Short-term I guess it wouldn't harm it under regular use but if you plan on having it long term I wouldn't risk the added carbon building up and extra heat. Boomba replacing the BOV with a lifetime guarantee doesn't mean squat if the BOV damages your car.

Loccust

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SI Coupe
Bottom line don't do it, no matter what a manufacturer states. I come from 10+ years of racing and owning German boosted cars. VW/Audi have ran the same type of valve for many many years and every guy on the german forums will tell you don't do it. Get a better recirculating valve. Boomba is correct in that the OEM one is cheap and junk but there's is just like a party favor.....fun at first but does nothing good for you later.

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Quality boomba below.. it got stuck at full vent. I was NA for the drive home haha. Got there CVT mount too, lotsss of vibration.
Honda Civic 10th gen Boomba Racing BOV on EX Hatchback 20170410_093205