Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here's my mod list of performance mods

K&N typhoon short ram
Map 3" race catback
PRL 3" front pipe
PRL 3" catted downpipe
FX350 Clutch ordered

For some reason I have been procrastinating on a tune. I have a kTuner but I'm scared of the OTS tunes and am wanting to start with a Dyno tune. Even then I'm not looking at anything crazy. Maybe a modest 2 step and 20-21 psi or so.

Recommend any specific supporting mods? I was looking into a SS clutch line.

The question here is this: With these mods am I in absolute need of a tune or should I be fairly safe with what I have for a while?
Sponsored

dark_knight097

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag

K&N typhoon short ram
Map 3" race catback
PRL 3" front pipe
PRL 3" catted downpipe
FX350 Clutch ordered

For some reason I have been procrastinating on a tune. I have a kTuner but I'm scared of the OTS tunes and am wanting to start with a Dyno tune. Even then I'm not looking at anything crazy. Maybe a modest 2 step and 20-21 psi or so.

The question here is this: With these mods am I in absolute need of a tune or should I be fairly safe with what I have for a while?
Nothing there requires a tune. But, you wont be seeing the full benefits of those mods without one.

Out of curiosity, why exactly are you afraid of the base maps? Theyre designed to be conservative tunes. Plenty of people on this forum having been running the ktuner and hondata base maps along with TSP stage 1&2 tunes with no issues for awhile.

Seth_FC3

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI coupe
Country flag

K&N typhoon short ram
Map 3" race catback
PRL 3" front pipe
PRL 3" catted downpipe
FX350 Clutch ordered

You don't NEED a tune, but it would help a ton. You already have a clutch on the way so you won't have to worry at all about the clutch slipping.

Anger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7,RW2,RD1,RD5,RE5,RU1,FK1,FN2,EP3
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Do/did you get a CEL because of the downpipe?

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you only want 21psi a dyno tune would be a waste of money in my opinion. Try out the base maps. If you have any concerns, record some data logs and have them checked out to make sure everything is working well together.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone concerned about running a base or canned tune needs to check out the tuning survey I started. So far we have nearly 160 tuned owners participating and over 2,300,000 miles of reliability. There have been a couple failures but they are honestly a rarity.

OP
OP

Gagerr

Energy green ;)
First Name
Gage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Update boys, just flashed the stock/23psi sport tune. Had some minor fuel adjustments made and ignition timing adjustments made for intake temps. Also added 2 step and removed rev hang. And tbh, this car is absolutely phenomenal now. I only have 13 miles on the tune so far but it's amazing. Stock clutch holding great on the 23 psi although I do have map sending me an fx350 and got quoted $600 for the install on 8 hrs of labor so I'm hyped.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Gagerr

Energy green ;)
First Name
Gage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Do/did you get a CEL because of the downpipe?
I did get a p1030 code before I was flashed. That is a slow response code which is harmless ("harmless" I've heard. My idle was very strange especially with cold starts before I flashed, disabling the code). Not the code you would expect to get (p420 I believe which is catalyst deficiency). I probably could have just nudged the O2 sensor closer to the flow and it might have fixed it but decided to fix it the right way with ktuner
Sponsored