BMS Ram Intake Real World Performance In 90° Heat

Pur3MotioN770

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag

On a 90-92° hot Texas day, with the A/C on full blast, how does something like the BMS Short Ram Intake ($179) perform? Is it merely sucking in a bunch of hot air? See for yourself. Although I never confirmed it (didn't measure MAF), it would appear I was accidentally sent their Race MAF (only available for non Si's), which has since seen MAF scaling, to correct the fuel trim issues I initially had (which Si users have reportedly not seen). Living in one of the most flood prone cities (Houston aka Bayou City) in the US, I'm not comfortable running a CAI, especially after hydrolocking my 14 Civic Coupe in curb level water, which was essentially invisible because of how hard it was raining. This is honestly a pretty decent setup for those that only care about adding sound, those that don't want to run a CAI, or for those that might just want a little improvement in performance over stock, but don't want to spend a lot, or want something that's simple install.

Obviously if money isn't an issue, and you want a Cold Air Intake, the best overall option is clearly the PRL Cobra. The Injen intake is also not a bad option, especially if it comes out of the box with no fuel trim issues. Even with the trim issues, it can be tuned to work properly, and it's performance is pretty comparable to the Cobra, all things considered.
Sponsored

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Nice video! Glad you're dialed in now.

I'm going to be cleaning mine for the first time soon. My temps are running 4-5° higher now after running for a year. Oil color has faded from the fins and it's showing some buildup

Even then, it's still cooler than stock setup :cool: