Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
UK...

Short term fuels trims will tend to vary quite a bit and 7% isn't horrible even with an occasional higher blip. LTFT is the even more important number and you really should monitor that as well.
Sponsored

OP
OP
86salmon

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You have a link to that video?
I think it's this one

, do BMS do bigger opening on their filters?
I reckon you could use your measures and get whatever sort of filter you want.

I'm guessing that video is for the Si intake MAF. Mine seems to match those measurements. My trims were never lower than -7 though. In the video you linked, he mentions +12 trims

Honda Civic 10th gen BMS intake IMG_20200513_191754

What model is your Civic? Is it possible you have a larger MAF than other 1.5t? Is that a thing for European models? I don't have my stock air box handy to measure at the moment

Edit: I'll have to get a hold of my calipers. The tape measure is hard to note a 4mm difference

Last edited:

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
oh okay cool i guess i have had experiences with both of these then! the dyno tune was the best results as i had my prl cobra and catless set up, i hit 267hp and 317lbft torque but my transmission couldnt hold it i just spun at wot throttle, i then reduced down to catted and prl stage 1 with basemap and then reached out to a guy for street tune which felt better but my ignition was wayyy too advanced and knock control was always high so i bottled it and now im on basemap.
How advanced was your ignition and at what psi/gear? I like having as much advance as possible for better/smoother drivability. I know every car and application can't have the same setup.

CIVICUK

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic sport hatch 1.5 turbo manual.
Country flag
How advanced was your ignition and at what psi/gear? I like having as much advance as possible for better/smoother drivability. I know every car and application can't have the same setup.
I couldnt tell you sadly dude as the tune was locked so i could view anything, ive decided to go back to factory base map and im making my own tune. How does our ignition tuninh work on these platforms? Ive read up that if you have encounted knock then you retard the timing in the area its map trace, but if you advance timing you have to do small degrees at a time. Got any pointers for a newbie? ?

Reactions: Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I couldnt tell you sadly dude as the tune was locked so i could view anything, ive decided to go back to factory base map and im making my own tune. How does our ignition tuninh work on these platforms? Ive read up that if you have encounted knock then you retard the timing in the area its map trace, but if you advance timing you have to do small degrees at a time. Got any pointers for a newbie? ?
You have the right idea. Car encounters knock, ignition advance gets throttled back. Ignition advance slowly creeps back up until knock is encountered again. Repeat!

My maps are 'locked out' as well. I was referring to the datalogs, where you can see how much ignition advance you had, in what gear and what psi of boost. Like for the 1/4 mile time in my sig, I can tell you that my had 5.5ig/19.5psi of boost in 2nd, 4.5ig/21-22psi of boost in 3rd and 4ig/22psi in 4th gear. As apposed to say my Ktuner Stage 2 basemap that usually has 0 ig (ignition advance) through all the gears.

Pur3MotioN770

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
i second you on that brother! so i have had my bms intake on my sport for about a month now and its been a solid month of data logging/ maf scaling/ afr scaling etc.. and i could not for the life of me get my trims to set less than 7% and i tried everything!, then yesterday i decided to take it off and measure the maf housing and to my knowledge it measured at 58mm where as my stock housing is 64mm! so straight away alarm bells were ringing and thinking ' why would they make street maf smaller than stock??' anyway because of this, when i was tightening to clamps down on the maf housing side for the stock pipe to re connect the stock airbox, i had somehow over tightened the clamp when i was first fitting the BMS intake and now ive cross threaded my clamp so ive had to improvise for now until i can order new stock clamp.

anyway since i have fitted the stock airbox i have done 1 long data log and scaled my maf in with 3% adjusments here and there and now its perfect! and the car feels smoother in power delivery too.

this is a shame though as i loved the sound of the bms filter and the build quality is solid especially compared to prl's cone filter that got destroyed just by pushing it on alone. so my plan is to maybe buy a spare airbox cover and cut the stock maf out so i can use the bms filter, or OPT for the prl race maf but i dont think the filter opening will fit, do BMS do bigger opening on their filters?

sorry for the essay but i had to share this as ive spent 147 dollars plus shipping plus 40 pound taxes just to get this bms intake and now all i have is the filter that i can use :(
I'm only on Rev 2 of my 93 octane tune with Drob, and he's got the trims with the BMS looking wayyyy better, pretty much the same as stock. When you measured the MAF housings, did you use calipers?

Last edited:

Tabooo

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Hey, it seems like I have a similar problem to other users, I bought the non-race version for the Si to go onto my 2019 Si sedan. But when installing it, my MAF will definitely not fit in the hole. I was wondering if anyone with the non-race Si MAF housing and the non-race 1.5T MAF housing could measure the holes the MAF is supposed to fit into? My stock MAF hole is about 1.25 inches, while I'm pretty sure the MAF housing they gave me has a diameter of only 1 inch. I've been talking to their customer support about it, but they claim that the MAF hole size for all the Civics are the same, which I don't believe.

OP
OP
86salmon

86salmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey, it seems like I have a similar problem to other users, I bought the non-race version for the Si to go onto my 2019 Si sedan. But when installing it, my MAF will definitely not fit in the hole. I was wondering if anyone with the non-race Si MAF housing and the non-race 1.5T MAF housing could measure the holes the MAF is supposed to fit into? My stock MAF hole is about 1.25 inches, while I'm pretty sure the MAF housing they gave me has a diameter of only 1 inch. I've been talking to their customer support about it, but they claim that the MAF hole size for all the Civics are the same, which I don't believe.

BMS only makes one intake for the Si.

The race or non race options are for regular Civics with 1.5t motors

I would return your intake and ask for si intake

Tabooo

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
BMS only makes one intake for the Si.

The race or non race options are for regular Civics with 1.5t motors

I would return your intake and ask for si intake
Yeah, I knew they only make the non-race/factory calibration for the Si, after reading through this thread I figured it seemed like it would be a good option with the stock tune. Especially since I don't have a way to tune right now, haha. That's why I was attempting to talk to their customer support, so they could send me the correct MAF housing that actually fits the Si MAF. But I don't know if they're playing dumb since they told me the regular Civics with 1.5T's and Si's have the same MAF size.

OP
OP
86salmon

86salmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah, I knew they only make the non-race/factory calibration for the Si, after reading through this thread I figured it seemed like it would be a good option with the stock tune. Especially since I don't have a way to tune right now, haha. That's why I was attempting to talk to their customer support, so they could send me the correct MAF housing that actually fits the Si MAF. But I don't know if they're playing dumb since they told me the regular Civics with 1.5T's and Si's have the same MAF size.

I'd hope it's a matter of a mistake on their part and not intentional

I'd insist on exchanging your current intake for an Si intake.

Maybe a picture with calipers comparing the measurement of stock MAF and the one they sent would hammer the point home

Tabooo

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I'd hope it's a matter of a mistake on their part and not intentional

I'd insist on exchanging your current intake for an Si intake.

Maybe a picture with calipers comparing the measurement of stock MAF and the one they sent would hammer the point home
Yeah, I hope so too! I don't have any calipers myself, thought I did try to show the difference to them with a tape measure. I'll have to wait for their response though.

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
FYI guys the MAF housings are not cylinder shaped they are cone shaped.
The hose side of Both the SI and Non Si MAF stock ( and most street ) housings are the same size ( 61mm).They go smaller towards the filter side .

Pur3MotioN770

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
FYI guys the MAF housings are not cylinder shaped they are cone shaped.
The hose side of Both the SI and Non Si MAF stock ( and most street ) housings are the same size ( 61mm).They go smaller towards the filter side .
Did you personally measure the MAF?
Sponsored