Blown Turbo scare. Solved: big boost leak!

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Last night I was having a little fun. Did a very hard pull from a stop. Knock control shot to 1.30 and a alot of new sounds erupted.

As it currently sits I can build about 3-5 psi max now. No I'm not in limp mode, And I've flashed the ECU already. Speed dosnt seem to matter, I can drive on the highway. Engine sounds normal even at 5500k. But build 3-5psi, which is also my max now, And it sounds like a dolphin with a lisp sucking air.

From the ktuner end of things. Knock control isn't happy when it fails to build boost. I'll be calling for 20 and it goes to 5. Getting missfires is all cylinder when building boost and knock control goes to 1.30. I imagine the missfires is from the fact that my AFR goes very very rich when it's failing to build boost. STFT is -25 when this happens. Going to check the DV valve as well.

So today I will be pulling my turbo to check. I doubt it's a clutch issue and so far everything points turbo. Picture is the outlet of the cold side.. Looks like something scrapped through..yay.
Honda Civic 10th gen Blown Turbo scare. Solved: big boost leak! 20180518_073209
Sponsored

OP
OP
kshawn

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
This is the cold side. No play with the turbine. I can hear a small ring when I spin it with my finger. Tho it looks a little beat up. Next up is the hot side to inspect.
Honda Civic 10th gen Blown Turbo scare. Solved: big boost leak! 20180518_094102
Honda Civic 10th gen Blown Turbo scare. Solved: big boost leak! 20180518_093843

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Looks like it's time for the turbo upgrade then. At least if your motor is ok.

OP
OP
kshawn

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Your a/f goes by how much air is flowing pass the MAF sensor. I think you have a boost leak
About to do a test drive. Throttle body connection to charge pipe.. the clamp came completely off. I'm crossing my fingers! Tho I checked that so I must be blind as a bat.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
About to do a test drive. Throttle body connection to charge pipe.. the clamp came completely off. I'm crossing my fingers! Tho I checked that so I must be blind as a bat.
a few people on here have complained about that clamp not being too tight from the factory and their's blew off too

OP
OP
kshawn

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Boost leak! It feels so good to be wrong :bow:

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Si, 19 Accord 2.0T, 23 Type R
Country flag
Boost leak! It feels so good to be wrong :bow:
Glad that's all it was! You can build a tester for under $10 via parts readily available at Home Depot / Lowes.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
What clamp is this exactly and can I just tighten it up?

OP
OP
kshawn

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag

peterletran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Coupe 6MT
OH MAN !!! I came from your meth build thread and when I read the original post, here, my jaw dropped.
When I read "Boost Leak", I was like "THANK GOD" !!!
I doubt Honda opted for T-clamps, so I'll have to check all my clamps, too.

RetroJR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T 6MT ViTuned
Country flag
I remember once in my tuned Golf TDI a boost pipe blew , black smoke belched out and I thought I grenaded the turbo as it madde a loud bang. Luckily just an intercooler pipe popped off :)

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
That thing with blades spins thousands of times a minute? :spaz: And the edge of the blade is sitting like 1 mm off of the bore it's housed in. :spaz:

Jpierro79

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 type R 2015 c300
Country flag
Only a boost leak on pressure side can create extreme negative fuel trims cause the air going through the MAF sensor is still the same amount. So it tries to fuel that amount even if you have less boost on the positive pressure .side. A blown turbo will not create negative trims. It won’t create a lean issue either. As long as the system is sealed between the intake and through to the manifold fuel demand shouldn’t ever go drastically off. Even if the turbo seized it wouldn’t change trims.
The biggest misconception is people think throwing a bigger turbo changes fueling on a MAF sensor car. It doesn’t. Your MAF sensor measures the amount of air going in. Regardless amount of the air being compressed can’t magically change amount after you compress it. It’s still the sane amount just squeezed into a smaller area.
Sponsored