First Name
Gage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-T 6MT
Country flag
I have a 2018 EX-T (MT)
While I was driving home about a week ago my CEL started flashing and I lost a lot of power to the engine and the car started shaking really badly.
I got it home and checked the code with my ktuner and it's misfiring on cylinder 1.
I did the basic checks, spark plug & ignition coil are good, pretty sure the fuel injector is good, but I haven't fully pulled it out to check yet.
The big thing is that I'm only getting 15PSI out of cyl 1, while cylinders 2, 3, & 4 are reading at 150psi. I'm fairly certain it's something to do with the engine, but I'm nto super knowledgeable on engines.
Can anyone help point me in the right direction so I can diagnose exactly what is wrong?
Thank you in advance!
Sponsored

AmyChris13

First Name
Amy and Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic sport coupe
Country flag
“Head”???

đŸ€”
Ok, you’ve isolated the issue OP. I’d guess something to do with the compression of cylinder 1. Which can be a lot of things. Work down the list of culprits based on what the engine did at the onset of the issue.

OP
OP

wiscoyeet

First Name
Gage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
“Head”???

đŸ€”
Ok, you’ve isolated the issue OP. I’d guess something to do with the compression of cylinder 1. Which can be a lot of things. Work down the list of culprits based on what the engine did at the onset of the issue.
There's zero smoke coming out of the exhaust.
I'm not super knowledgeable with the internals of the engine so I don't really know where to start next.
I figured I should drain the oil and see if I have any shrapnel. That should determine if I broke a rod or a bearing, right?
Otherwise I thought maybe a stuck valve? I don't know how to check that.
Still new to all this😅

AmyChris13

First Name
Amy and Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The thread in the link in your first reply (dthanb), in the first pages describes something involving head distortion, head gasket issues, and general head issues. If you’re not losing coolant, I wouldn’t eliminate this, but I’d eliminate other possibilities before I revisit. Lack of white smoke does not guarantee you’re not losing coolant, or don’t have a head gasket issue. Eliminate that possibility.

that said- what are your driving habits, and what condition was your driving when the incident occurred? Specifically, were you adding load when the condition occurred?
That’s something I’d consider in analysis.
Itmay be as silly as a cross-threaded spark plug (number one) that blew by. I’ve seen some strange things. I’m only citing an example, not what I think your issue is. I wish you luck in chasing your gremlin!

Last edited:

OP
OP

wiscoyeet

First Name
Gage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The thread I’m the link in your first reply in the first pages describes something involving head distortion, head gasket issues, and general head issues. If you’re not losing coolant, I wouldn’t eliminate this, but I’d eliminate other possibilities before I revisit. Lack of white smoke does not guarantee you’re not losing coolant, or don’t have a head gasket issue. Eliminate that possibility.

that said- what are your driving habits, and what condition was your driving when the incident occurred? Specifically, were you adding load when the condition occurred?
That’s something I’d consider in analysis.
Itmay be as silly as a cross-threaded spark plug (number one) that blew by. I’ve seen some strange things. I’m only citing an example, not what I think your issue is. I wish you luck in chasing your gremlin!
Driving habits: on clearer roads I would usually just go fast, I never really did pulls, just liked going fast, if anything I beat my brakes and suspension more than my engine. That being said it is tuned, Ktuner stage 2 tune, ran it only on 93 octane.
Leading up to the event, I just got done with a long day at work and was super tired so I was driving pretty normally.

I'll check out that thread that you linked.

TonyTheTiger57

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 T-Bird, 78 Cougar, 84 Bronco, 85 F150 17 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I deleted my comment, I didn't see the part about 15 PSI. You have something major going on. Did you hear any strange noise? It is either a bent valve, hole in piston, or a blown head gasket.

TonyTheTiger57

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
One of those little cameras would be awesome right now. What did your spark plug look like?

TonyTheTiger57

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You could drain your coolant, and get one of those pressure testers. If it is your head gasket, you will hear it hissing.

TonyTheTiger57

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Do you have coolant in your oil? Metal shavings in the oil? I would do an oil drain and see what you find.

OP
OP

wiscoyeet

First Name
Gage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Do you have coolant in your oil? Metal shavings in the oil? I would do an oil drain and see what you find.
I deleted my comment, I didn't see the part about 15 PSI. You have something major going on. Did you hear any strange noise? It is either a bent valve, hole in piston, or a blown head gasket.
Coolant and Oil are clean and clear, running to grab a borescope right now to check the valves, wil update!

AmyChris13

First Name
Amy and Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well at worst you’ll get experience with a cool, expensive tool. Don’t know that you’ll find the problem. Let’s hash this out again

First: Maybe most importantly, your engine isn’t “blown” at this point, at least not what you described.
Your initial post mentioned a sudden loss of power, and shaking. Aside from the shaking, which I could attribute to the NVH caused by a missing cylinder, was there any other noise that was unusual? Is there any other behavior that is persistent?
Have you consulted any Honda troubleshooting materials or looked for related TSBs?
Eliminate the things it CAN’T be instead of throwing money and labor at the issue.
If you had a bent valve, or a broken spring, you’d hear an unholy racket under the valve cover. You’d HEAR, and maybe even feel an internal. If it’s internal, I’d guess it’s a ring, but THAT would burn oil, just as a hole in the piston would, among other things. There is always a clue, is my point

If you didn’t throw the old plugs away, read them. : https://ngksparkplugs.com/en/resources/read-spark-plug

Last edited:
OP
OP

wiscoyeet

First Name
Gage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well at worst you’ll get experience with a cool, expensive tool. Don’t know that you’ll find the problem. Let’s hash this out again

First: Maybe most importantly, your engine isn’t “blown” at this point, at least not what you described.
Your initial post mentioned a sudden loss of power, and shaking. Aside from the shaking, which I could attribute to the NVH caused by a missing cylinder, was there any other noise that was unusual? Is there any other behavior that is persistent?
Have you consulted any Honda troubleshooting materials or looked for related TSBs?
Eliminate the things it CAN’T be instead of throwing money and labor at the issue.
If you had a bent valve, or a broken spring, you’d hear an unholy racket under the valve cover. You’d HEAR, and maybe even feel an internal. If it’s internal, I’d guess it’s a ring, but THAT would burn oil, just as a hole in the piston would, among other things. There is always a clue, is my point

If you didn’t throw the old plugs away, read them. : https://ngksparkplugs.com/en/resources/read-spark-plug
I can feel the engine shaking while sitting in the car, I don't hear a lot of noise coming from the engine but I also can't hear much over the direct injection. But I can feel it rythmically shuddering while I'm sitting in the car.
Sponsored