Blowing Fuses on DashCam Install

fightermav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe 1.5T WOP
Trying to hardwire my Blackvue 650S with a Multi Safer hardwiring kit, which is supposed to be a lot more reliable and only needs constant power and ground (instead of power, accessory, and ground)

When I tried to install it today into a free cavity on the fuse box, I blew the 5 amp fuse the second it made contact with the fuse box. Thinking I put it in wrong, I grabbed the spare 5 amp fuse from the car and tried that, blew that one too.

Went to Autozone and called Honda and thought since the Multi Safer says it can run up to 8 amps @ times that I should try a better fuse.

So I went for a 15 amp fuse and this time I unplugged the Multi Safer before putting the fuse tap into the fuse box. Once I went to connect the wiring to the Multi Safer, I heard a pop and smelled burnt circuit. The 15 amp fuse is fine weirdly enough, but I'm not sure if the Multi Safer is ok, I'll probably need a new one.

Am I doing something wrong here? I am soldering the wires to my fuse taps for good connections and I'm grounding the multi safer on the same bolt that I grounded my radar detector which I also hard wired at the same time today and works fine....
Sponsored

sniper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring
Country flag
If you did everything the same for cam and radar, it should work?

Plug the fuse tap into where your radar detector is, if it blows then I would say it's a faulty multisafer. Why not get the Blackvue power thing, contemplating one for myself vs just always connected/on to battery