Blow Off Valve - Type R

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
Wel
I love rolling through these forums and reading all the uneducated "BoV's are BAD" statements. To give you all some more clarity, you're barely right but mostly wrong.

I've been running the HKS SSQV on my FK8 for over 2 months now, without a single issue & no tune.

Here's the rundown, an Atmospheric BoV on this car will run rich ONLY when the extra pressure is released. Meaning when your BoV goes "stustu" the electronic system will send a little more fuel. This does not harm the vehicle, you will not blow your motor. This can absolutely be remedied by a tune, but not immediately necessary.

For the owners saying they are having "Idle Issues", that can come from a number of things. For example, if you're sitting still and rev your motor enough for the BoV to spool, your ECU will think you have extra air in the chamber so it will send a little more fuel. YES, more fuel than air will cause a slight hesitation or "choke" the system for a second but does not cause any substantial harm.

Another things I've noticed from these countless BoV posts is the install procedure. Honestly, HKS definitely could have sent some better directions but this is what you get from another country. Not a huge deal, but has definitely confused some people. I co-own a body shop with my father and we installed my BoV at our shop with some of my employees. These are guys that have been building cars for 50 years and still couldnt EXACTLY read the instructions to a T. It takes a special person with a little more common knowledge to understand the gaps and mismatched words in the instructions to get the install perfectly right. If the install is not done to the specific standards, you will have fuel issues, idling issues, and the rest of the bunch.

There's a lot of hoses that get installed, or get moved from one place to another, or get removed from a location and capped off, etc. You MUST pay attention to the little details.

Sorry for the book of a post, but I just want people to be more educated and understand the differences in our vehicles. As for the OP, if you want the noise of a BoV, get a BoV! I started with the K&N drop in filter on my stock airbox, it wasnt enough. So i got the HKS BoV, it sounded incredible with the two mods linked up. Well about a month ago I installed the Takeda full carbon intake as well, between the Takeda and the HKS BoV spooling at the same time, its frikkin music to my ears!

Feel free to PM me if you ever have questions! =)
Everyone has a uncle that smoked 3 packs a day and lived to 98. Does not mean the cigarettes are good for you.
Sponsored

Akuto

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R, 01 C5 Corvette, 12 Audi TTRS
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
the only way to run a bov "correctly" is to run a blow through maf set up or to tune off of speed density which the factory ecu cannot do so unless you have a motec, it can not be remedied by just a simple "tune" like you are saying.

You are right on almost everything else you said though. The atmospheric bov runs rich only when the extra pressure is released. It's because when the bov releases the pressure, the MAF is metering the air that it already has metered.
This also causes the idle dip that people experience with BOVs. That extra fuel being dumped when the BOV releases pressure causes the stumbling. It might not harm anything short term but running rich everytime you shift can do stuff like foul plugs in the long term.

this is not the first car that people have ran bov on a maf car. Running an atmospheric valve on a car that runs off of MAF is never a good idea.
Why anyone wants these valves is beyond me. What for sound? Seems they are a pain, not made for the engine and a shit ton of work to install and maybe do it right? Just get a intake easy , made for engine as it already has one, install in 15 mins and plenty if woosh that won't f up your engine.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Why anyone wants these valves is beyond me. What for sound? Seems they are a pain, not made for the engine and a shit ton of work to install and maybe do it right? Just get a intake easy , made for engine as it already has one, install in 15 mins and plenty if woosh that won't f up your engine.
beats me :dunno::dunno:. I'm fine with just the intake woosh.

I used to run a blitz bov on my SR20 like 15 years ago when i didn't know any better.

frtorres87

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Lol I didn't mean to come off as rude if I did, but bov is to atmosphere and bpv is recirculating, we have a 100% recirculating valve and the woosh noise from our cars is that air coming back into the intake :D also has less turbo lag than a bov
Not rude at all bro.

FK8_K20c1

HONDA The Power of Earth Dreams Technology!
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I'll be honest if the car would off come vent to atmosphere stock I would of run one. Im very pleased by the sound the PRL hose does matched to the Green filter.

saint365

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CW Civic Type R
Country flag
I was also worried about ppl questioning about possible issues HKS BOV install on our car but It really comes down to how to install these. like @nw_kev said instructions were very confusing. I had friend helped me out to get it installed properly. It took few trips to break in run properly and now I love it. Yes it is nothing but sound that makes me happy. it definitely not for everyone and may not justify prices for the sounds.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
I'll be honest if the car would off come vent to atmosphere stock I would of run one. Im very pleased by the sound the PRL hose does matched to the Green filter.
i would too. The ricer in me loves atmospheric BOVs.

Only reason why i don't run one on this car is because it's maf based.

rajahdat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 nevermind
Country flag
I’m interested in hearing the long term review on the turbosmart!
That was my review, due to work I rarely have time to be more in-depth as with previous threads

Boostez

Samurai
First Name
Marlin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R; 03' Mitsubishi EVO; 2018 Polaris Slingshot SL-R
Country flag
I love rolling through these forums and reading all the uneducated "BoV's are BAD" statements. To give you all some more clarity, you're barely right but mostly wrong.

I've been running the HKS SSQV on my FK8 for over 2 months now, without a single issue & no tune.

Here's the rundown, an Atmospheric BoV on this car will run rich ONLY when the extra pressure is released. Meaning when your BoV goes "stustu" the electronic system will send a little more fuel. This does not harm the vehicle, you will not blow your motor. This can absolutely be remedied by a tune, but not immediately necessary.

For the owners saying they are having "Idle Issues", that can come from a number of things. For example, if you're sitting still and rev your motor enough for the BoV to spool, your ECU will think you have extra air in the chamber so it will send a little more fuel. YES, more fuel than air will cause a slight hesitation or "choke" the system for a second but does not cause any substantial harm.

Another things I've noticed from these countless BoV posts is the install procedure. Honestly, HKS definitely could have sent some better directions but this is what you get from another country. Not a huge deal, but has definitely confused some people. I co-own a body shop with my father and we installed my BoV at our shop with some of my employees. These are guys that have been building cars for 50 years and still couldnt EXACTLY read the instructions to a T. It takes a special person with a little more common knowledge to understand the gaps and mismatched words in the instructions to get the install perfectly right. If the install is not done to the specific standards, you will have fuel issues, idling issues, and the rest of the bunch.

There's a lot of hoses that get installed, or get moved from one place to another, or get removed from a location and capped off, etc. You MUST pay attention to the little details.

Sorry for the book of a post, but I just want people to be more educated and understand the differences in our vehicles. As for the OP, if you want the noise of a BoV, get a BoV! I started with the K&N drop in filter on my stock airbox, it wasnt enough. So i got the HKS BoV, it sounded incredible with the two mods linked up. Well about a month ago I installed the Takeda full carbon intake as well, between the Takeda and the HKS BoV spooling at the same time, its frikkin music to my ears!

Feel free to PM me if you ever have questions! =)
Agreed 100%.

I've raced turbo cars for years and years. Nothing wrong with a BOV and Mass Air Intake. Heat soak from open airbox happens. What matters is the intercooler. I would never buy an open AI with no upgraded FMIC. Better yet, if still have intake temp problems, get meth to cool the intake charge even more and it will be added fuel as well. Makes big power.

I am getting my INJEN FMIC/Intake pipes as well as a Greddy BOV on my car tomorrow and will tune for them.
Sponsored