Blow Off Valve - Type R

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
tbh I don’t think it’s a huge issue if you just daily the car. if you did any serious driving then I definitely wouldn’t buy one.

Based on sound alone the Injen is by far the ‘best’. OP just wants sound so that’s why I suggested it.
Well, we dissuaded OP from getting a BOV because it can cause issues. Pointing him to an intake that can also cause issues isn't exactly a solution either lol.

I dont think the intake should be on the market, tbh.
Sponsored

rajahdat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 nevermind
Country flag
If you want the sound yes a upgraded intake or panel filter will give you that sound you might be looking for.
Should you want a true VTA BOV just get a turbosmart BOV, this is not for the faint of heart as you may come into installation issues and adjustments is PITA. I have an aftermarket intake and the turbosmart. People that ride in the car hear both intake and BOV as they are located on opposite sides of the engine. This BOV only requires the adjustment to idle but acts factory with no tuning required, as all its doing is replacing your factory plastic unit.

slowride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Type-R
Country flag

Vid I took of mine after install.
It's louder in person (the camera doesn't pick up the sound well)
You fcking Canadians and Lane Watch...I don't get why Honda eliminated that for the US cars.

Dipz

First Name
Dipz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Type R
Country flag
If you want the sound yes a upgraded intake or panel filter will give you that sound you might be looking for.
Should you want a true VTA BOV just get a turbosmart BOV, this is not for the faint of heart as you may come into installation issues and adjustments is PITA. I have an aftermarket intake and the turbosmart. People that ride in the car hear both intake and BOV as they are located on opposite sides of the engine. This BOV only requires the adjustment to idle but acts factory with no tuning required, as all its doing is replacing your factory plastic unit.
Which Turbosmart did you get? Got any videos?

Superman_SI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SI Sedan
Country flag
Just received my HKS BOV for the 1.5T this past Saturday, after a 2 month wait. Always loved HKS for the Hondas, as I also have the Hi-power exhaust on my sedan. And a Hi-power single exhaust on my S2000.

Love the sound of the HKS. I have a video of it after I installed it, but the file is too large to post. You can always find a video for this specific model on Youtube. HKS has since put up new video of the BOV without the re-circulation kit and with.

This photo shows the re-circulation kit installed on the unit. In short, you get the benefit of taking some pressure off the turbo when the throttle is released and not running "rich" because that lost air is put back into the engine. Also in the future if I intend to increase HP, the BOV would be helpful than the factory Bypass valve.

Honda Civic 10th gen Blow Off Valve - Type R IMG_0709

Last edited:

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just received my HKS BOV for the 1.5T this past Saturday, after a 2 month wait. Always loved HKS for the Hondas, as I also have the Hi-power exhaust on my sedan. And a Hi-power single exhaust on my S2000.

Love the sound of the HKS. I have a video of it after I installed it, but the file is too large to post. You can always find a video for this specific model on Youtube. HKS has since put up new video of the BOV without the re-circulation kit and with.

This photo shows the re-circulation kit installed on the unit. In short, you get the benefit of taking some pressure off the turbo when the throttle is released and not running "rich" because that lost air is put back into the engine. Also in the future if I intend to increase HP, the BOV would be helpful than the factory Bypass valve.

IMG_0709.jpg
A few different factors for the Type R compared to the Si, different location and ECU...did you mean to post this here? I keep seeing this happen lol

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
A few different factors for the Type R compared to the Si, different location and ECU...did you mean to post this here? I keep seeing this happen lol
Yeah its been an issue last couple months. Non R owners posting in the R forum like they didnt know. Has the forum changed the way they list topics? I dont think the non R owners are doing it on purpose but somethings changed. Had a guy just dogging my intake classified going on about garbage and heres proof and blah blah... he was talking about Si intake. Im like this is R forum. He was oh.. didnt see that.

Akuto

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R, 01 C5 Corvette, 12 Audi TTRS
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah its been an issue last couple months. Non R owners posting in the R forum like they didnt know. Has the forum changed the way they list topics? I dont think the non R owners are doing it on purpose but somethings changed. Had a guy just dogging my intake classified going on about garbage and heres proof and blah blah... he was talking about Si intake. Im like this is R forum. He was oh.. didnt see that.
They are trying to over throw our forum..... :rofl:

Akuto

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R, 01 C5 Corvette, 12 Audi TTRS
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Same difference lol. Thanks for the correction.
Lol I didn't mean to come off as rude if I did, but bov is to atmosphere and bpv is recirculating, we have a 100% recirculating valve and the woosh noise from our cars is that air coming back into the intake :D also has less turbo lag than a bov

nw_kev

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I love rolling through these forums and reading all the uneducated "BoV's are BAD" statements. To give you all some more clarity, you're barely right but mostly wrong.

I've been running the HKS SSQV on my FK8 for over 2 months now, without a single issue & no tune.

Here's the rundown, an Atmospheric BoV on this car will run rich ONLY when the extra pressure is released. Meaning when your BoV goes "stustu" the electronic system will send a little more fuel. This does not harm the vehicle, you will not blow your motor. This can absolutely be remedied by a tune, but not immediately necessary.

For the owners saying they are having "Idle Issues", that can come from a number of things. For example, if you're sitting still and rev your motor enough for the BoV to spool, your ECU will think you have extra air in the chamber so it will send a little more fuel. YES, more fuel than air will cause a slight hesitation or "choke" the system for a second but does not cause any substantial harm.

Another things I've noticed from these countless BoV posts is the install procedure. Honestly, HKS definitely could have sent some better directions but this is what you get from another country. Not a huge deal, but has definitely confused some people. I co-own a body shop with my father and we installed my BoV at our shop with some of my employees. These are guys that have been building cars for 50 years and still couldnt EXACTLY read the instructions to a T. It takes a special person with a little more common knowledge to understand the gaps and mismatched words in the instructions to get the install perfectly right. If the install is not done to the specific standards, you will have fuel issues, idling issues, and the rest of the bunch.

There's a lot of hoses that get installed, or get moved from one place to another, or get removed from a location and capped off, etc. You MUST pay attention to the little details.

Sorry for the book of a post, but I just want people to be more educated and understand the differences in our vehicles. As for the OP, if you want the noise of a BoV, get a BoV! I started with the K&N drop in filter on my stock airbox, it wasnt enough. So i got the HKS BoV, it sounded incredible with the two mods linked up. Well about a month ago I installed the Takeda full carbon intake as well, between the Takeda and the HKS BoV spooling at the same time, its frikkin music to my ears!

Feel free to PM me if you ever have questions! =)

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
the only way to run a bov "correctly" is to run a blow through maf set up or to tune off of speed density which the factory ecu cannot do so unless you have a motec, it can not be remedied by just a simple "tune" like you are saying.

You are right on almost everything else you said though. The atmospheric bov runs rich only when the extra pressure is released. It's because when the bov releases the pressure, the MAF is metering the air that it already has metered.
This also causes the idle dip that people experience with BOVs. That extra fuel being dumped when the BOV releases pressure causes the stumbling. It might not harm anything short term but running rich everytime you shift can do stuff like foul plugs in the long term.

this is not the first car that people have ran bov on a maf car. Running an atmospheric valve on a car that runs off of MAF is never a good idea.
Sponsored