Blow off valve good or bad?

Professor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Trying to decide on a blow off valve. What are the pros and cons? Is it a good idea?
Sponsored

Leetcivx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si
Country flag
if you want the sound, that would be a pro. There is no performance gain. Some people had concerns about the VTA and not recirc, but so far there have been no problems reported on the forum.

ethanmhanks

Project Blackout
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Ram 1500, 1975 Corvette.
Vehicle Showcase
I have had the Boomba BOV on my 2016 and my 2017 with no issues, so really there are no cons. Everything runs exactly the same but you gain that nice "Pshh" sound. Install took me only 20 minutes and I believe it was well worth it.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There is really only one thing that happens when installing a Vent-to-Atmosphere (VTA) BOV on a car with a Mass-Air-Flow sensor (MAF).

Rich Air:Fuel ratio when BOV opens up.

This isn't a huge issue, but it does affect some components adversely over time. Mainly your exhaust system. The rich conditions between shifts will cause unburnt fuel to exit the combustion chamber. This results in much higher Exhaust Gas Temps (EGT) and cause drastically more wear on catalytic converters. One other thing is potentially more fuel dilution in your oil because of the rich condition, leading to shorter oil life.

Will installing a BOV on your car ruin your car? Definitely not.
Will your catalytic converter fail much sooner than if everything remained stock? Definitely.
Is the fuel dilution a big deal? Probably not, we're talking about very low amounts, but it will be present.

Bottom line, understand the risks and do what makes you happy. Nothing makes me happier than hearing that *PSSSHhhhh* between shifts. I have a VTA BOV on my WRX, but I have a catless exhaust too.

hfpdohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatch 2017 M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
just wait for the 50/50 valve that im pretty sure someones is already in the progress of making one!

Boomba Racing

Civic X Vendor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.boombaracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport, 2018 Civic Type-R, 2010 Civic SI, 2015 Civic SI,
Country flag
Just have a look at how cheaply made the stock BPV is with its rubber internals:

Honda Civic 10th gen Blow off valve good or bad? 31405116693_e61bb6e2d3_b

It is reasons like this that we decided to make our replacement with far superior construction. Our BOV is made out of aircraft grade billet aluminum and features a brass piston with multiple o-ring design to ensure leak free operation.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
just wait for the 50/50 valve that im pretty sure someones is already in the progress of making one!
50/50 hybrid BOVs still affect everything I mentioned. The A:F ratio will still be rich, just not as rich.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just have a look at how cheaply made the stock BPV is with its rubber internals:

Honda Civic 10th gen Blow off valve good or bad? 31405116693_e61bb6e2d3_b

It is reasons like this that we decided to make our replacement with far superior construction. Our BOV is made out of aircraft grade billet aluminum and features a brass piston with multiple o-ring design to ensure leak free operation.
There is nothing wrong with the factory BPV being made out of rubber. I guarantee the OEM BPV doesn't leak an ounce of air at factory boost levels. Every OEM BPV is built this way and none of them have any issues.

The only reason that a BPV/BOV upgrade is actually necessary is if you increase your boost PSI to a point the OEM module cannot seal at the new PSI limit, causing boost leak under wide open throttle.

Boomba has showed on all their posts that they will say nothing about the negative effects (no matter how large or small) about their products.

Boomba Racing

Civic X Vendor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.boombaracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport, 2018 Civic Type-R, 2010 Civic SI, 2015 Civic SI,
Country flag
There is nothing wrong with the factory BPV being made out of rubber. I guarantee the OEM BPV doesn't leak an ounce of air at factory boost levels. Every OEM BPV is built this way and none of them have any issues.

The only reason that a BPV/BOV upgrade is actually necessary is if you increase your boost PSI to a point the OEM module cannot seal at the new PSI limit, causing boost leak under wide open throttle.

Boomba has showed on all their posts that they will say nothing about the negative effects (no matter how large or small) about their products.
In other platforms we have seen BPVs of similar construction tear, rip, and leak boost over time after heat cycling. This results in a loss of boost pressure and inconsistent boost. This is a well known issue in the Focus ST community as well as the Subaru WRX community with the FA20DIT. Time will tell how this Civic piece holds up. I understand that being a vendor people may just think we're trying to slang products, but we put a lot of research into R&D of everything we make as well as place a large importance in reverse engineering. We take factory parts and improve upon any weaknesses that we find in order to eliminate any potential failures.

The vehicle uses a complex method of MAP and MAF sensors to monitor what the vehicle is doing with incoming and outgoing air. The spring pressure we use in our BOV was carefully chosen so that the vehicle's operation is not negatively impacted from running this BOV. There is no stuttering, no increased turbo lag, and no check engine lights from running our BOV.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In other platforms we have seen BPVs of similar construction tear, rip, and leak boost over time after heat cycling. This results in a loss of boost pressure and inconsistent boost. This is a well known issue in the Focus ST community as well as the Subaru WRX community with the FA20DIT. Time will tell how this Civic piece holds up. I understand that being a vendor people may just think we're trying to slang products, but we put a lot of research into R&D of everything we make as well as place a large importance in reverse engineering. We take factory parts and improve upon any weaknesses that we find in order to eliminate any potential failures.

The vehicle uses a complex method of MAP and MAF sensors to monitor what the vehicle is doing with incoming and outgoing air. The spring pressure we use in our BOV was carefully chosen so that the vehicle's operation is not negatively impacted from running this BOV. There is no stuttering, no increased turbo lag, and no check engine lights from running our BOV.
I'm very involved in the Subaru world. Over at NASIOC (North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club), there is quiet a long thread dedicated to your video about the FA20DIT OEM BPV and most people in there disagree with you. People are getting 21-22psi with no leak on the OEM valves and they are producing boost maps to prove it. You felt showing a dyno curve would somehow prove boost leak in your video. If the OEM BPV leaked even 10% as bad as you showed in your video, Subaru would have been forced to recall.

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2786509

You're still just singing praises about your BOV design. Will you deny the accuracy of my above post regarding the affect of venting a MAF car?

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What is a 50/50 valve
It recirculates half of the air and vents the other half. You can usually adjust the ratio. For some cars that really don't like venting, this is the only way for people to get a PSSHHH sound without non stop back firing and idle problems.

OP
OP
Professor

Professor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
It recirculates half of the air and vents the other half. You can usually adjust the ratio. For some cars that really don't like venting, this is the only way for people to get a PSSHHH sound without non stop back firing and idle problems.
If I get the BOV is it possible to tune my car to no longer add the extra fule?
Sponsored