Blinking turn signals?

supreme604

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My front turn signals are LEDs with the wires spliced for the load resistors. If I were to splice the turn signal wire again for the side markers should i unclamp the load resistor and splice into that? or start a brand new splice? or is there a better way of doing this?
Sponsored

joshhjackson2112

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' SI
Country flag
My front turn signals are LEDs with the wires spliced for the load resistors. If I were to splice the turn signal wire again for the side markers should i unclamp the load resistor and splice into that? or start a brand new splice? or is there a better way of doing this?
Sounds like a @ladysi question to me. I think she is an expert in electrical systems on here.

ladysi

First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si black sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sounds like a @ladysi question to me. I think she is an expert in electrical systems on here.
Thanks for the compliment, but I am far from an expert, i just intensely dabble. There are definitely many others on here who know more EE, doubly so for car stuff.
AFAIK: You will need a load resistor for each led "bulb" circuit. You cannot guarantee that all diodes in parallel will work.

See:
https://electronics.stackexchange.c...ingle-resistor-be-used-for-many-parallel-leds

Edit: And running them in parallel post load resistor has the potential to shorten the life of the lights... one at a time.

Last edited:

ryanfk7

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic ‘17 Hatch EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@supreme604
In theory: Each LED, with its own load resistor (assuming you want to run each LED at the same brightness), can be put into parallel with each other. You would splice into incoming line before the load resistor for your front LED. Then install second load resistor, and lastly the side marker LED. Or you may install LEDS in series with a different sized load resistor that would have to be mathematically figured out.

In reality: This will depend on what the incoming line voltage is to the specific circuit. Also, dependent on the specific voltage drop across each LED. There’s a general rule about the voltage drop across certain colors, but again..this is real life not on paper so it’s not so cut and dry with different manufacturers. You can also change the sizing of the load resistor depending on the operating voltages for each LED and how bright you want them to run
Sponsored