I82MUCH

First Name
SNACKDADDY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8, 2019 SGP FK7
Country flag
Where you guys buying this? I want one on my center brake light only.
For the tail lights, you can purchase bulbs to make it flash. If it's a bulb for the centre light, I'm assuming you can just purchase a bulb that does it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
OceansX

OceansX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic hatchback sport touring
Country flag
Where you guys buying this? I want one on my center brake light only.
Just look up strobe lights for your bulb size on Ebay...that's where I got mine

OP
OP
OceansX

OceansX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
https://blinkingbrakelights.com/

There's this too.[ Been looking around just haven't pulled the trigger. Parked the CTR today so.. something to think about when winter is over
Yea I had tried the I initially but they were out of our bulb size. Well the ones i got instead has given me no problems since I installed em and i believe they were cheaper. So no complaints here :)

aldksgo

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 R-24920, '14 FB2, '10 Impreza 2.5i
Country flag
Yea I had tried the I initially but they were out of our bulb size. Well the ones i got instead has given me no problems since I installed em and i believe they were cheaper. So no complaints here :)
Was it easy to install? The ones you got from ebay? Wondering how hard it is to do this myself

OP
OP
OceansX

OceansX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Was it easy to install? The ones you got from ebay? Wondering how hard it is to do this myself
Super easy ..its just replacing the bulbs

OP
OP
OceansX

OceansX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The centre brake light on the hatch is LED, and not an easy swap, if even possible.
It might be, The bulbs on the actual tail lights (not the center brake light) are pretty easy to swap the strobe bulb

Canuck

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
It might be, The bulbs on the actual tail lights (not the center brake light) are pretty easy to swap the strobe bulb
There's a video on YouTube on the installation for the Type R third stop light (LED). Search: "Blinking third brake light Type R". The part used in this video is currently out of stock but there are others to choose from on Amazon.

Gjamesvaldezz

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic hatchback LX
Country flag
Anyone get pulled over for their strobe blinking brake lights yet? I installed mine on my 10th gen hatch and I haven't gotten pulled over yet just wondering lol.

OP
OP
OceansX

OceansX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
@Gjamesvaldezz nope been on since 2019 and not one stop or warning. Even with the cops driving beside me. I've been to NY and back a few times a s well with no issues

Canuck

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
Installed my blinking centre brake light following YouTube instructions. Plug and play, very easy, no cutting wires. Been 18 months no police issues. Driven to AZ as well.

dt10g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX sedan 6MT (Canadian)
Country flag
I was interested in having a flashing rear brake light, but all I wanted was a simple flick-flick-solid, and most products seem to be more like a personal moving light show. Anyway I was reading the latest laws... and below are all the pertinent laws that I extracted for Ontario.

You read and make your own interpretations... I am not a lawyer.

I am not sure anyone has really defined "intermittent flashes" or challenged it in law yet...

I have seen so many flagrant violations of the HTA that police apparently give a F### about, like license plates that I cannot even read while sitting BEHIND the person at a light. So I guess it comes down to how these laws are being applied IN PRACTICE in different cities and towns. You might get an officer who just hates the flickering, or thinks all Honda drivers are ricers or just wants to bust you personally for SOMETHING, and will apply the rules most strictly ... whereas. other officers may not care.

I mean you read the laws... but to me, there is nothing in Ontario that precludes having a light other than (Red, Blue or Green)... pointing in any direction ... flashing intermittently or solidly. I mean you could have a flashing Purple light perhaps, except I guess how they might get you is that all colours are made up of RGB so then someone would argue that your Purple light is actually 34% Red, and 66% Blue. White? I guess that is all colours at once lol. Except apparently you get a pass for having white headlights, ... so maybe you could pull off a rear flashing white light. Now a flashing reverse light [ when you brake ]... that would make people crap themselves haha. The irony is that there do not appear to be ANY laws that pertain to "Reverse lights". Like none? None at all ... Prove me wrong I'd love to read it.

How not to get rear ended ...

Don't creep up at lights. When traffic stops, you stop of course But if people in front of you edge forward to create a gap ... resist the urge to creep up too. You gain nothing, and just create an opportunity for the muppet behind you to drive into the back of you - when they also start moving forward but fail to STOP again. Some woman drove into the back of me in downtown Toronto in exactly these circumstances. Just wait for the light to change and the traffic to start moving for real...

Also leave a gap to the front and if you think the person behind you is going to to brake in 100ft when there is only 97 ft between you... then you can maybe move up that last bit of distance and give them the out. I dunno. you could argue whether you are better to leave the gap and just hold it, and let them plow you. From insurance perspective it is better if you just take the hit and do not in turn get plowed into the person in FRONT of you. You decide.

From
https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90h08/v113

PART VI
EQUIPMENT

(...)

Strength of front lamps

(9) No motor vehicle shall carry on the front thereof more than four lighted lamps that project a beam having an intensity of over 300 candela. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (9).

(...)

Intermittent red light restricted

(14) Subject to subsections (14.1), (15) and (17.1), no person shall use a lamp, other than turning signal lamps or the vehicular hazard warning signal lamps commonly known as four way flashers, that produces intermittent flashes of red light. 2017, c. 2, Sched. 17, s. 5.

Note: Section 17 is not printed below, but only pertains to BICYCLES.

(...)

Red and blue lights restricted

(14.1) In addition to the lighting requirements in this Part, a vehicle described in subsection (14.2) may carry lamps that cast red and blue lights, but no other motor vehicle shall carry lamps that cast red and blue lights. 2017, c. 26, Sched. 4, s. 14 (1).

14.2 = ambulance, fire, police, ministry, etc etc. Not you.

Edit:
I read this Red AND Blue, not Red OR Blue.
i.e. one of those police flashers

(...)

Red light in front

(15) In addition to the lighting requirements in this Part, a vehicle described in subsection (15.1) may carry lamps that cast a red light only or such other colour of light that may, with the approval of the ministry, be designated by a by-law of the municipality in which the vehicle is operated, but no other motor vehicle shall carry any lamp that casts a red light to the front. 1998, c. 35, s. 103

15.1 = ambulance, fire, police, ministry, etc etc. Not you.

Green flashing light restricted

(16) The following persons may carry on or in his or her vehicle and operate a lamp that produces intermittent flashes of green light:

1. A firefighter, within the meaning of subsection 1 (1) of the Fire Protection and Prevention Act, 1997, while proceeding to a fire or other emergency.

2. A prescribed class of volunteer medical responder, while driving a prescribed class or type of vehicle or engaging in a prescribed activity or in prescribed conditions or circumstances. 2007, c. 13, s. 17 (5).

Same

(16.1) No person other than a person described in subsection (16) shall operate a lamp that produces intermittent flashes of green light. 1994, c. 35, s. 1.

(...)

Regulations as to lights on vehicles

(21) The Lieutenant Governor in Council may make regulations, (...)

... basically he/she can make up their own rules that may go above and beyond.

(...)

Flashing blue light on snow-removal equipment

(31) No person shall, while operating a road service vehicle on a highway, plow, salt or de-ice the highway or apply chemicals or abrasives to the highway for snow or ice control unless the road service vehicle is equipped with a lamp producing intermittent flashes of blue light visible for a distance of 150 metres from all directions. 1996, c. 33, s. 11.

Restriction on use of flashing blue light

(32) No person shall operate a lamp that produces intermittent flashes of blue light on a highway except,

(a) a person operating a road service vehicle in the circumstances described in subsection (31); or

(b) a person operating a vehicle as permitted by subsection (14.1), together with a lamp that produces intermittent flashes of red light. 2007, c. 13, s. 17 (8); 2017, c. 26, Sched. 4, s. 14 (3).

Last edited:

Canuck

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
https://you.be/f917e5k88IY
3rd blinking tail light with install instructions. 4quick flashes and then solid. Plug and play

Last edited:

dt10g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX sedan 6MT (Canadian)
Country flag
Thanks, but I cannot get that URL to load,
and tried too but it says video no longer available.

No matter, I found this which looks REALLY REALLY attractive

It's an INLINE cable module that looks like it works with ANY lighting option, including the LED 3rd brake light in the spoilers (which I have)

Credit to this dude Joel for filming in the snow too ;-)

Joel said he got it from user ez12a on the CivicX.com forums too!

Video of FK8 showing all 16 flash modes and settings https://youtu.be/Ih4Y1crF6u0
Link to purchase here. (CURRENTLY OUT OF STOCK)

Si Sedan https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FA...
Si Coupe https://forms.gle/bAAzjg1Qx9m2j9RK6
Hatchback (including FK8) https://forms.gle/8ppEz7a1FT93jtSN7
Sedan (non-Si) https://forms.gle/4UEoYmFQUCL1kVVB8

I think the PULSE (or BREATHE) effect could be "more likely" to be legal than the other modes... since the light never goes ON - OFF.... it just goes BRIGHT, LESS BRIGHT but is always ON. I guess it depends how the court interprets the legal text "Intermittent FLASHES of red light".

One thing I had been wondering about was hooking up BOTH the rear window 3rd brake light AND the spoiler brake lights.

Personally I think the spoiler lights are better for safety (closer by 2ft to the driver behind + never impeded by dirt, snow or ice on the glass... + before replacement LED bulbs were a thing, the LED spoiler light probably lit up fractions of a second faster vs the halogen. It all counts.

It is probably possible, and with LED in both brake housings, the voltage/wattage whatever is probably less than the original halogen bulb under glass. It just might look stupid, dunno.
Sponsored

Last edited: