17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
Good morning,
I think I've discussed this topic a bit in other threads but I think this one needs its own thread.

For background, I think we all know the US market does not have Blind Spot Monitoring but it appears that the European market does. This is evidenced by the fact that the European Power Folding mirrors, like the ones I have (and sell), include indicators in the mirrors as part of the glass. This is not a simple retrofit from what I can tell. First, getting info like wiring diagrams from Europe has been difficult or near impossible. Next, it's challenging to get necessary parts for testing - even with my established supplier channels.
Blind Spot Indicator (BSI or BSi for short) utilizes 1 radar unit in each of the 'corners' of the back bumper that continuously operate to monitor for presence of a vehicle. If a vehicle is present, a little light illuminates in the mirror. If you operate your turn signal and a vehicle is observed at any time, an audible beeper indicates you should double check before you make a move.
Although the Civic is a small vehicle by US standards, it's a feature I enjoy from other vehicles-even though I rarely drive the Civic 'slow' enough to establish a blind spot.

The best info I can get is from the US Accord and the radar-to-mirror indicator look like this-
Honda Civic 10th gen Blind Spot Monitoring - retrofit to US cars- upload_2019-11-6_14-13-12

It clearly uses CAN BUS (shown as B-CAN) to communicate with the overall car, but I wouldn't be surprised at this point if the little indicator light (JUST the light) is illuminated from the Radar unit. I see it like this-

Pinout for both radar units in the back
1. 12V+ Power to radar units (both L and R)
2. 12+ Signal out to Side Mirror indicator (Same-side radar as mirror)
3. B-CAN (+ maybe)
4. 12V- aka Ground from Right Side Radar Unit to Left Side Radar Unit (should use common ground to help prevent signal noise/looping)
5. B-CAN (- Maybe)
6. 12V- Ground (From Left Side Radar Unit to Right Side Radar Unit)

So it looks like your parts list if you want to do this retrofit-
1. EDM Power Folding Side mirrors
2. Left Side BSI Radar Unit from 2020 Accord Sport 2.0T
3. Right Side BSi Radar Unit from 2020 Accord Sport 2.0T
some lengths of wire
A pigtail harness that fits into the radar units...or the sub-harness on the RAdar Unit side of that C130 connector-
Some method of connecting the wires to the Power Fold Mirrors up front.

At this point (06NOV2019) I don't know if you can put these radar units on the CAN BUS and actually have them be recognized...Will the BCM pick up the units and integrate them automatically (including the audible warning indicator?) or will you cause a communication failure on the BCM by adding devices to it? Honda Service says they have no ability to 'reprogram' the BCM through the CAN Gateway.

I'll be happy to add to this thread as I learn more or arrive at a solution. All contributions welcome-

Thanks for any help-
Sponsored

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Civic Type R (R-08508)
Country flag
Interesting! I will shamelessly wait for someone richer and smarter than me to serve as a guinea pig. Hopefully, we can make it work!

kotarou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda FC2 - FFV
Country flag
Do you know which European version has this feature?
I can try to find something abut it.

OP
OP

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hmm. I think maybe the Civic Type R GT in the UK. I'm not sure if continental Europe gets the same model designations, but I'd guess it's the top model. From what I could see in the Civic 1.0, it did not have the radar units - that I could find.

xenon04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sedan 1.5 MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a sedan executive that has this feature
You can see a list of versions that have it in the attachment

Honda Civic 10th gen Blind Spot Monitoring - retrofit to US cars- Untitled-3
Honda Civic 10th gen Blind Spot Monitoring - retrofit to US cars- IMG_2525

OP
OP

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have a sedan executive that has this feature
You can see a list of versions that have it in the attachment

Untitled-3.jpg
IMG_2525.jpg
Awesome! Thank you for that!
That's exactly how my mirrors look. I'm still working on getting the radar units to try out...I've located some on Ebay but they're more than I want to spend on an experiment.

Brian

xenon04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sedan 1.5 MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
it is a visual and beep warning
beep warning is only in situation when the turn signal is on and another car is in the lane you want to go to
video is from system initialization

OP
OP

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
it is a visual and beep warning
beep warning is only in situation when the turn signal is on and another car is in the lane you want to go to
video is from system initialization
That helps a lot.
I suspect the 'beep' is going to be the one part I won't be able to make work...since the radar units connect to the CANBUS, I suspect the beep emitter (dash/BCM/Gauge Cluster) won't be able to receive the signal because I don't think it will integrate and I'm scared to try and see what happens.
The LED appears to be driven off an output from the Radar unit in the bumper-

csouers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EX CVT w/Sensing
Country flag
I got a left side unit from a 2017 CR-V and hooked it up to my 2017 EX Hatch w/Sensing. The headunit knows the system is at least partially there as it shows in the ADAS menus and on the reverse cam UI's footer. So yeah, this certainly seems possible. When I get it working, I'll use comma ai openpilot to give me the visual alert as I won't be retrofitting Euro mirrors for this. I'll post back here when I have more juicy details and potential mounting info.
Honda Civic 10th gen Blind Spot Monitoring - retrofit to US cars- IMG_8014
Honda Civic 10th gen Blind Spot Monitoring - retrofit to US cars- IMG_8016
Honda Civic 10th gen Blind Spot Monitoring - retrofit to US cars- IMG_8017

kotarou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda FC2 - FFV
Country flag
If you enter on the service mode on the head unit and try the self diagnostics it'll show all the possible modules.

In case you can't get out the service screen you might have to disconect and reconnect the HU or battery (which one is easiest for you).
Usually there is no problem, but I had this poblem with the headunit working on a test bench (outside the car).

csouers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This didn't work out. Fault codes show version mismatch. Tabling this for a while.

hector_yo

First Name
Héctor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic 1.0 Elegance Navy
Country flag
I find this very interesting, maybe the cr-v part is different and you need to actually take one from a civic?

Last edited:

csouers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I find this very interesting, maybe the cr-v part is different and you need to actually take one from a civic?
I'm not sure if the mismatch is between the radar pair or what the car is expecting. I haven't dug into this yet as it's a pet project at the moment. If it's a car mismatch, there aren't any civics with side radar in the states. Would have to fake the cr-v on can to get it to work which is doable.

First Name
JAY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X 2020
Country flag
I'm not sure if the mismatch is between the radar pair or what the car is expecting. I haven't dug into this yet as it's a pet project at the moment. If it's a car mismatch, there aren't any civics with side radar in the states. Would have to fake the cr-v on can to get it to work which is doable.
is that cr-v unit different from honda insight unit? because Insight looks like sharing more units with civic. Also side mirrors looks same too

csouers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Insight only recently has had BSM. CR-V units are available more readily and cheaply. I haven't seen one myself, but I imagine it's a similar Continental unit as the other models.
Sponsored