First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic hatchback sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Basically been running k tuner(19/23) since last december and got tsp stage 1 in june and also installed a MAP cai. I run the car like a maniac and always run it on map 3 pretty much. My car is a 2017 si with 74000 miles. I commute far to school and work usually 80 - 100 miles a day on the highway in south florida. I got my oil changed at firestone last and had gone 4100 miles on this synthetic blend. I was on the highway on a roadtrip runing 93 octane fuel. I went to pass a truck and decided to take a lil pull aswell with the car in map 3 sport mode. I was chillin on cruise control at 75mph and downshifted w a revmatch to 5th and accelerated to about 130 mph then i felt the car start to deaccelerate w my pedal to the floor. No boom or any noise. My car kept running but I was making 0 psi boost and it felt slow as hell. I pulled over thinking it was a leak in the turbo system right before I made it to a stop. I saw black smoke coming out my exhaust. I blew the turbo's axle of the turbine wheel/compressor wheel and that caused all the engine oil to leak out the motor. Engine oil runs around the bearing of this axle to keep it cool and smooth. So now I need a new turbo and new motor estimated at a 10K job. Pretty disappointed in honda and idk if i feel safe running this tune anymore. I had plans for a aftermarket intercooler, dp/fp, bigger turbo, e85 kit and exhaust. But now i have lost faith in this l15b. Let me know what you think about all this.
I think what happened is that you let the smoke get out. ? Bummer. Sorry to hear about your SI.

CIVICUK

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic sport hatch 1.5 turbo manual.
Country flag
I have a question! Its mainly regarding how to not abuse your tune. So im custom e-tuned by Drob and have 3 map settings as everyone else, on my commute to work i always run on map1 in eco then when its home time i switched to map 2 for some fun when the traffics down. I rarely use map3 but i for some reason have always had a rule that.. if the weather is hot like in the uk 26 is hot! Lol i wont run anything but map 1 because i worry the high temps and high turbo temps will just strain the engine, am i right in thinking like this? I have prl cobra and wagner intercooler and piping and prl fp dp greddy exhaust so i think im upgraded to run map3 safely but i guess i just always remember that my engine internals and turbo/clutch is stock so less abuse protects this i guess :)

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
if the weather is hot like in the uk 26 is hot!

I would think you could let loose even as hot as 32. Especially with the upgraded intercooler, dp/fp combo, and the Cobra intake. People racing run at higher operating temps than you'll reach cruising around or even with some spirited driving

BrokenLimits

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
It blows my mind that people like this exist and function in society. Runs the car hard as hell, with an aggressive tune on a stock car and can’t change his own oil. When the engine blows it’s not their fault or responsibility, it’s Honda’s. This is a civic that gets 40 mpg, you’re not even in a CTR.
I can’t think of any way to be a bigger ?

Just because the engineering safety factors allow for more stock power doesn’t mean you’re running safely. The safety factor is there so a bad engine that’s barely in spec from the factory won’t have any problems and will last like a Honda.
This is what I was thinking. You take something that is designed to be safe and then take it out of that safe zone and then beat the crap out of it and somehow blame the original producer. I just can't get there.

It's like going through the drive thru and getting a Big Mac, going home and sticking a lit blow torch on it until it burns to a crisp and then going back to McDonalds and screaming at them for how they made their Big Mac. It's nuts.

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 S2000 Roadster, 2019 Civic Type R, 2020 Supra
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a question! Its mainly regarding how to not abuse your tune. So im custom e-tuned by Drob and have 3 map settings as everyone else, on my commute to work i always run on map1 in eco then when its home time i switched to map 2 for some fun when the traffics down. I rarely use map3 but i for some reason have always had a rule that.. if the weather is hot like in the uk 26 is hot! Lol i wont run anything but map 1 because i worry the high temps and high turbo temps will just strain the engine, am i right in thinking like this? I have prl cobra and wagner intercooler and piping and prl fp dp greddy exhaust so i think im upgraded to run map3 safely but i guess i just always remember that my engine internals and turbo/clutch is stock so less abuse protects this i guess :)
It's not really a matter of abusuing a "tune" a canned tune is a generic tune - even an e-tune is generic as opposed to a controlled dyne tune used and can vary by climate, driving habits, even if you tried to do nothing wrong its not dyne tuned to your specific car.

Always fork out the money or dyne time vs a canned tune- especially the harder you plan to push it. Even a professional dyne tune isn't guaranteed but they ae a lot more likely to stand behind their work.

When I have my car upgraded and re-tuned it's usually a days work on the dyne and logging not just moving around a couple parameters to make it faster, try to get it to run the best most efficiently.

5th 3l3ment

First Name
5Th 3l3ment
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Si
Country flag
Basically been running k tuner(19/23) since last december and got tsp stage 1 in june and also installed a MAP cai. I run the car like a maniac and always run it on map 3 pretty much. My car is a 2017 si with 74000 miles. I commute far to school and work usually 80 - 100 miles a day on the highway in south florida. I got my oil changed at firestone last and had gone 4100 miles on this synthetic blend. I was on the highway on a roadtrip runing 93 octane fuel. I went to pass a truck and decided to take a lil pull aswell with the car in map 3 sport mode. I was chillin on cruise control at 75mph and downshifted w a revmatch to 5th and accelerated to about 130 mph then i felt the car start to deaccelerate w my pedal to the floor. No boom or any noise. My car kept running but I was making 0 psi boost and it felt slow as hell. I pulled over thinking it was a leak in the turbo system right before I made it to a stop. I saw black smoke coming out my exhaust. I blew the turbo's axle of the turbine wheel/compressor wheel and that caused all the engine oil to leak out the motor. Engine oil runs around the bearing of this axle to keep it cool and smooth. So now I need a new turbo and new motor estimated at a 10K job. Pretty disappointed in honda and idk if i feel safe running this tune anymore. I had plans for a aftermarket intercooler, dp/fp, bigger turbo, e85 kit and exhaust. But now i have lost faith in this l15b. Let me know what you think about all this.
Doh!!! ??‍♂

Pbergmann

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic sedan EX-L
Country flag
So just an honest question how hard are you guys on your motors(driving styles)?
Ill admit i drove this car hard af. raced many cars in its prime
I got to 65 one of two times. No problems in the year that I've owned it

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I got to 65 one of two times. No problems in the year that I've owned it
You got to 65 one or two times? :eek: Wow man, don't push it soo hard.

CIVICUK

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic sport hatch 1.5 turbo manual.
Country flag
It's not really a matter of abusuing a "tune" a canned tune is a generic tune - even an e-tune is generic as opposed to a controlled dyne tune used and can vary by climate, driving habits, even if you tried to do nothing wrong its not dyne tuned to your specific car.

Always fork out the money or dyne time vs a canned tune- especially the harder you plan to push it. Even a professional dyne tune isn't guaranteed but they ae a lot more likely to stand behind their work.

When I have my car upgraded and re-tuned it's usually a days work on the dyne and logging not just moving around a couple parameters to make it faster, try to get it to run the best most efficiently.
By E-tune i meant remote custom tune if thats the right description for it, i dont have anyone in my country who can dyno tune on ktuner so my only choice was remote tuning. So are you saying that even though it is custom to my vehicle it is still just a generic tune unless it has been achieved on the dyno? If this is the case then i guess i am treating my tune correctly by not abusing the engine :)

5th 3l3ment

First Name
5Th 3l3ment
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Si
Country flag
Whoa here i am at 23k miles tsp and ktunner and i swap my own oil out. How the fuck do you blow an engine and a turbo? I drive like a bat outta hell race on occasion no I don’t reside in Florida but still Sc carries heat just not that humidity. This post sounds suspect

thebutcher

NSFW
First Name
The Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Chevy C10 custom deluxe, 2014 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited, 2019 Honda Civic Si coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
I

Id say a different driver
Better oil than whatever firestone synthetic blend he's been using plus an oil cooler would have probably helped reduce excessive wear on the turbine shaft.

We don't know if the OP had a habit of pushing high boost/torque with the engine and oil cold though, so its possible if he just let it warm it would have been less of an issue.

Rich19Si

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Sounds like you constantly lugged your engine after you had your new CAI installed just to hear the spool.

Engine lugging = Incoming Failure

Lugging is a real thing.

Davewoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 fk8
Country flag
Should of rebuilt your engine with strong internals. Upgraded turbo and intercooler, etc. Then you could of run map 3 and drove lo like a maniac. You wanted to be hard without spending the money. Ooops. Expensive lesson.
P.s...... when you do your next build, do it right and do it yourself. You'll appreciate and respect your car more and save a lot of money. Good luck and don't diss the H. It did nothing wrong.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.