redcivic19x

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
[QUOTE="2017GreySi_RAT, post: 882422, member: 40351" I was chillin on cruise control at 75mph and downshifted w a revmatch to 5th and accelerated to about 130 mph
[/QUOTE]
Not sure how many times you did this, but very bad to do pulls in 5th. Should only do pulls in 2-3-4 unless you’re going from a dig in a first.
I am FBO with 27won turbo and FFK and have had zero issues. Though I don’t drive my car like a maniac ??‍♂
Sponsored

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
this video is fucking insane... the fact that it ran that LONG makes me feel safe about ANY honda ill own!!!! This is ridiculous!!!!
Trust me, they don't make them like they used to. Nothing is more reliable than a 90's Honda... except maybe a Toyota of the same vintage. They definitely ain't what they used to be.

circuit.heart

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Sport (Si converted), '94 525i x2
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
FWIW, In one track event I put several hours of WOT on a DRob-tuned Si engine, and it's still healthy. That's way more than your typical aggressive street car's usage.

You can race these engines quite hard (the TCA cars are proof) but driving like an idiot at low revs is asking for trouble.

DmK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI
Country flag
[QUOTE="2017GreySi_RAT, post: 882422, member: 40351" I was chillin on cruise control at 75mph and downshifted w a revmatch to 5th and accelerated to about 130 mph
Not sure how many times you did this, but very bad to do pulls in 5th. Should only do pulls in 2-3-4 unless you’re going from a dig in a first.
I am FBO with 27won turbo and FFK and have had zero issues. Though I don’t drive my car like a maniac ??‍♂
[/QUOTE]
With a 2020 civic downshifting to 5th put you at around 3500RPM, so if you can begin slight acceleration until you hit 4k should be fine, or am I wrong?

USNengineman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Chevy Colorado z71
Country flag
With a 2020 civic downshifting to 5th put you at around 3500RPM, so if you can begin slight acceleration until you hit 4k should be fine, or am I wrong?
[/QUOTE]
i dont really look at rpm's in 5th, i just make sure i dont go above like 10-12 psi is all.

redcivic19x

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
[/QUOTE]

I never start a pull before like 4K or 4500.

SixSpeeder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si, 2021 Wrangler Unlimited High Altitude
Country flag
Pretty sure this is a troll thread, look at the OP’s post history. Probably just somebody having fun. Didn’t notice that earlier when I replied at work lol. :dunno:

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo Sport Plus
Country flag
I‘m pretty sure it won‘t cause any trouble.
These engines are designed to do that. One of the components that allows it is the double mass flywheel. It actually removes a ton of stress from the components in a low Rpm high torque scenario. Pushing the gas hard when below 2500 rpm is a stupid idea, but in the 3000/3500+ range It shouldnt be a problem. Diesel cars have twice as high torque as the civic in much lower Rpm ranges, yes I know, gasoline=/=diesel engine, bit still. If your car has a tune and it drastically increases the torque in the low end you must be careful but the 3500 and above should be fine. With ECU tune and single mass flywheel... one must be more careful I think.

Andre80

First Name
white civic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X 1.5 sport +
Country flag
Me, I generally use Map 2 on my TSP. Even with that lower powered tune I don't go balls out all that much. When I do switch to Map 3 and gun it from time to time, that thing has some oomph! Map 3 is not a good choice for constantly driving like a maniac.

Bottom line, you have to respect the power of a tune and know that driving to the limit all the time (especially with higher boost) is a bit of a recipe for failure.
FC1Dawn...

People often say "don't use Map 3 all the time because your clutch will be toast". Yet you, and many others like charleswrivers use Map 3 exclusively with zero issues. Why is that? I think we all know the answer. You guys pretty much drive your cars like you did before. Giving it the beans here and there. So in effect, your driving style is similar to when you were stock... things just move a little faster. :cool:

The problem is that the extra power of a tune can be addictive. It's a real adrenaline rush. And just like being addicted to anything, it sometimes leads to various types of abuse. Too much of a good thing is sometimes a very, very bad thing.

Me, I generally use Map 2 on my TSP. Even with that lower powered tune I don't go balls out all that much. When I do switch to Map 3 and gun it from time to time, that thing has some oomph! Map 3 is not a good choice for constantly driving like a maniac.

Bottom line, you have to respect the power of a tune and know that driving to the limit all the time (especially with higher boost) is a bit of a recipe for failure.

I absolutely disagree. if they sell map 3 I must be able to use it daily, if dangerous it should not be sold, tsp map 2 is slow, map 3 is too aggressive especially for summer, you recommend the melodies but you are afraid to turn on map 3 constantly I recommend the melodies and I'm not afraid to turn on map 3 I have asked several times to have map 2 at 20 psi for a fee but I have always been denied, and this has disappointed me a lot, because many friends have this and I don't my only fear is the high boost in summer and the hell that it unleashes in the combustion chamber, after 4 wot the power cut is at least 20 hp and 4 degrees of ignition you say use map 2, and i tell you map 2 is too slow

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I absolutely disagree. if they sell map 3 I must be able to use it daily, if dangerous it should not be sold, tsp map 2 is slow, map 3 is too aggressive especially for summer, you recommend the melodies but you are afraid to turn on map 3 constantly I recommend the melodies and I'm not afraid to turn on map 3 I have asked several times to have map 2 at 20 psi for a fee but I have always been denied, and this has disappointed me a lot, because many friends have this and I don't my only fear is the high boost in summer and the hell that it unleashes in the combustion chamber, after 4 wot the power cut is at least 20 hp and 4 degrees of ignition you say use map 2, and i tell you map 2 is too slow
Obviously something got lost in translation. :eek:

I never said you can't use Map 3 as a daily. To the contrary, I mention a couple guys who use it safely all the time. I said it's not a good choice for long term safety if you drive it "like a maniac" and push it all time like the OP said he did. Frankly, all tunes are riskier when driven without some restraint from time to time by the driver.

LOL on me being "afraid" to turn on Map 3. I never said that. I use Map 3 on occasion but I mostly use Map 2 on my daily commutes. That's simply a choice and why I enjoy being able to toggle the OTF maps.

Just like some folks like the low power tune on Map 1 and others find it more convenient to have the high power tune on Map 1. That's a great thing about the OFT concept... different strokes for different folks.

Last edited:

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

ivanCivix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 10th gen 1.5 sport
Country flag
I think the non si map 3 peak target is 24.5, how much for si version?
I agree with André, a map with 20-21 psi would have been the best compromise. But to be honest I think the turbo blew because it was pushed hard before reaching the right temperature, not letting cool down and so on.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think the non si map 3 peak target is 24.5, how much for si version?
I agree with André, a map with 20-21 psi would have been the best compromise. But to be honest I think the turbo blew because it was pushed hard before reaching the right temperature, not letting cool down and so on.

TSP for si map 2 is 19/21, map 3 is 19/24.5

Do the boost targets change with eco or S in the non si models?

ivanCivix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 10th gen 1.5 sport
Country flag
We have 16.5 in eco and 24.5 in normal. But it's just for a short moment
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.