Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'll just drop this right here:

JK, I'm running the same tune with intercooler + piping + intake. Car has seen a track day with track temps being 105F (granted stock tune) but afterwards went right back onto full power (hondata). We're at 17k miles so far, fingers crossed shit doesn't go boom.
Sponsored

Last edited:

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
There is a LOT of overlap in operating specifications and parameters between a standard synthetic blend and a standard full synthetic; it wasn't the oil. If you modded your car, it's essentially pay to play.

A2typeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si sedan (TSP stage 1) 2016 Mazda Miata Club (Brembo BBS pack)
Country flag
Sorry to hear bro,

As many others have stated you are gonna have a tough fight ahead of you. I for one would still fight Firestone even if I had a strong inclination that it had nothing to do with the turbo exploding. First they are a large company and can afford it. Secondly If they made a mistake that’s on them. If you have an oil analysis done and it’s not full synthetic 0 20w I would contact a good small claims lawyer. Even if you don’t get the full engine repairs they will most likely settle for a Smaller amount like a few thousand dollars at least. (Disclaimer: Yes I am a scumbag)

I wish you well and now I’m scared to drive in MAP 3 after hearing about clutch slippage and now blown engines I’m a little Leary as to throttle my car anymore.

It is a lease but I still have some respect for future owners.

i will pray to the tuner gods my car doesn’t explode prior to 36,000 miles.

@OP look at the bright side now you can fully rebuild your engine and upgrade it how you want without fear or angst. Go Big Turbo kit and forged internals and turn it into a race care!

Cheers,
A2

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
It's an interesting thing. When I first tuned a few years ago, threads like this scared the living $hit out of me. Was I one WOT pull from a disaster? Should I go back to stock?

These days, I don't sweat these blown motor topics at all. They always come down to some sort of abuse. Whether it's driving like a maniac (most fall into this category of abuse), using an Injen and not monitoring trims/fixing the MAF scale (neglect), throwing on full bolts-ons without a proper tune + driving like a maniac, antilag, two-stepping etc...

The average driver using a base or ots tune and just enjoying the improved driveability aren't getting catastrophic failures which tells me Doug and JR and Derek and the Phearable guy (Vega) are doing something right with their tunes. The nut behind the wheel, well that's another story. :cool:

SixSpeeder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si, 2021 Wrangler Unlimited High Altitude
Country flag
So just an honest question how hard are you guys on your motors(driving styles)?
Ill admit i drove this car hard af. raced many cars in its prime
Drivings styles are going to vary a lot person to person. Things that are definitely hard on a motor include (but are not limited to):
-launching the car hard at stop lights
-driving the car hard when the oil isn’t up to temp. This takes much longer than the coolant temp gauge on the dash
-building lots of boost in an inappropriate gear. 3rd gear is plenty to exceed most speed limits. Don’t make the engine work harder than it needs to when flooring it, that’s one of the purposes of having different gears. If you own a bicycle with gears, go and try to pedal up a hill in its top gear and see how hard your legs have to work compared to a lower gear. That’s what the engine is experiencing when you floor it in the cruising gears
-Driving aggressively when it’s 100 degrees out doing back to back full throttle runs. Cooling is an issue on stock power levels, it’s worse when the boost is turned up

There’s a difference between driving the car hard and abusing it. An Si can be driven hard, Honda doesn’t expect the buyers to never hit redline. They actually encourage it by the fact that they included shift lights. Abuse is bad for any engine/drivetrain and should be avoided. Abuse while tuned = something is going to give eventually.

Masked

First Name
Jos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Why is it that everyone who blew their engine here thinks that the responsibility for the repairs should be on Honda or somebody else? I'm sorry but you're dumb to think this is the engine's fault and not your foot and your decision making. YOU blew the turbo/engine abusing the car every day and flooring it in higher gears. This is not on TSP nor is it on Honda, this is all your fault. Own up to it and pay for the repairs.

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In addition to above comments, I think the MAP intake requires either their OTS tune or a custom tune. Pairing it with TSP 1 probably had your fuel trims out of spec in addition to the other abuse you mentioned. Not Firestone’s fault. Also not Honda’s. Sorry bud.

A2typeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si sedan (TSP stage 1) 2016 Mazda Miata Club (Brembo BBS pack)
Country flag
Why is it that everyone who blew their engine here thinks that the responsibility for the repairs should be on Honda or somebody else? I'm sorry but you're dumb to think this is the engine's fault and not your foot and your decision making. YOU blew the turbo/engine abusing the car every day and flooring it in higher gears. This is not on TSP nor is it on Honda, this is all your fault. Own up to it and pay for the repairs.
The OP has already acknowledged it was his fault.

He was inquiring if Firestone making mistake had anything possibly to do with the mishap.

In fact he was open and honest from the get go.

Most people in this type of thread are like OMG my engine blew up wtf! Then you ask a few post later o yeah I was modded...

o yeah I had a down pipe bigger turbo and I tuned it myself etc...

Lets not repeatedly beat a dead horse or in this case a blown turbo...

Masked

First Name
Jos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
The OP has already acknowledged it was his fault.

He was inquiring if Firestone making mistake had anything possibly to do with the mishap.

In fact he was open and honest from the get go.

Most people in this type of thread are like OMG my engine blew up wtf! Then you ask a few post later o yeah I was modded...

o yeah I had a down pipe bigger turbo and I tuned it myself etc...

Lets not repeatedly beat a dead horse or in this case a blown turbo...
I don't believe that, I'm sure OP knows that it is his fault and not Firestone's. He just wants to put the blame on someone else and keep the 10K in his pockets.

To add to it, the guy was never monitoring fuel trims, knock count etc.. He was doomed from the get-go.

PS : Guys, if you do not monitor fuel trims etc, DO NOT TUNE YOUR CAR!

FC1Dawn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Since last December, I've ran TSP Stage 1 MAP 3 ever since I flashed. I've never changed to MAP 1 or MAP 2. It's been my daily driver. No issues. Why? Because I don't abuse the vehicle. Yes, I have driven spiritedly and pushed the car hard in the canyons. But I'm on top of maintenance, I don't launch, I don't lug the engine, I downshift properly, I don't punch it at every single red light, I make sure I floor it above 3500 RPM and keep track of my IAT's, fuel trims, knock control, etc.

For those people who are "scared" to run TSP Stage 1 MAP 3, if you beat on it in MAP 1 or 2, it does not mean it's 100% safer. Giving it the beans frequently in MAP 1 or 2 is worse than driving normally in MAP 3.

It's all about how the driver uses the vehicle.

If you are remotely scared to blow your motor with a tune, you shouldn't be tuned in the first place.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
FC1Dawn...

People often say "don't use Map 3 all the time because your clutch will be toast". Yet you, and many others like charleswrivers use Map 3 exclusively with zero issues. Why is that? I think we all know the answer. You guys pretty much drive your cars like you did before. Giving it the beans here and there. So in effect, your driving style is similar to when you were stock... things just move a little faster. :cool:

The problem is that the extra power of a tune can be addictive. It's a real adrenaline rush. And just like being addicted to anything, it sometimes leads to various types of abuse. Too much of a good thing is sometimes a very, very bad thing.

Me, I generally use Map 2 on my TSP. Even with that lower powered tune I don't go balls out all that much. When I do switch to Map 3 and gun it from time to time, that thing has some oomph! Map 3 is not a good choice for constantly driving like a maniac.

Bottom line, you have to respect the power of a tune and know that driving to the limit all the time (especially with higher boost) is a bit of a recipe for failure.

Last edited:

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Wow, take some responsibility for your actions. Blaming everyone but yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.