2017GreySi_RAT
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2005 Jeep Rubi
Country flag
Yeah, my first (only) mod was a CAI and even after that I got paranoid that I installed it wrong or that my engine won't like it, so I followed it up with Ktuner + TunerView, and I still have it on pretty much all the time when driving just to make sure.

TSP also sells a better reinforced L15B7 that you may be interested in, if you still want to keep your aggro driving style: https://www.twostepperformance.com/products/built-l15b7-1-5l-civic-for-the-2016-honda-civic
Keep it off map 3 and over 130

slanted_faces

Like a wis man once said, I want to go fast
First Name
Papi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
Country flag
Damn I thought off the shelf tunes didnt have this much power with just a cai?‍♂
I drive mine on 3 pretty hard too

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
You need to try self accountability. It's your fault. Not Honda's and not the shop that changed your oil 4100 miles ago. You chose to modify it and you chose to run it like a "maniac", there are inherent risks that come with those choices. Take responsibility for your own actions and move on. You gotta pay to play!

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (MSM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Basically been running k tuner(19/23) since last december and got tsp stage 1 in june and also installed a MAP cai. I run the car like a maniac and always run it on map 3 pretty much. My car is a 2017 si with 74000 miles. I commute far to school and work usually 80 - 100 miles a day on the highway in south florida. I got my oil changed at firestone last and had gone 4100 miles on this synthetic blend. I was on the highway on a roadtrip runing 93 octane fuel. I went to pass a truck and decided to take a lil pull aswell with the car in map 3 sport mode. I was chillin on cruise control at 75mph and downshifted w a revmatch to 5th and accelerated to about 130 mph then i felt the car start to deaccelerate w my pedal to the floor. No boom or any noise. My car kept running but I was making 0 psi boost and it felt slow as hell. I pulled over thinking it was a leak in the turbo system right before I made it to a stop. I saw black smoke coming out my exhaust. I blew the turbo's axle of the turbine wheel/compressor wheel and that caused all the engine oil to leak out the motor. Engine oil runs around the bearing of this axle to keep it cool and smooth. So now I need a new turbo and new motor estimated at a 10K job. Currently fighting fire stones insurance claiming they put the wrong oil in my car and this happened because i dont want to pay 10K. Pretty disappointed in honda and idk if i feel safe running this tune anymore. I had plans for a aftermarket intercooler, dp/fp, bigger turbo, e85 kit and exhaust. But now i have lost faith in this l15b. Let me know what you think about all this.
So, you admit to driving "like a maniac", "pretty much" "always" using K-Tuner Map 3 on a motor with 74,000 miles ... and you've "lost faith in this L15b" engine ...

Since you've asked for what we all think about this ... I, for one, think you're an idiot. Don't try to put this off on someone else's mistake (ie. Firestone). Be a mature grown up, and take some responsibility for your mistake ...

Oh ... and don't drive beyond your ability to pay (the speeding ticket or the repair bill)!

TypeX

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ASPEC RDX
Country flag
Basically been running k tuner(19/23) since last december and got tsp stage 1 in june and also installed a MAP cai. I run the car like a maniac and always run it on map 3 pretty much. My car is a 2017 si with 74000 miles. I commute far to school and work usually 80 - 100 miles a day on the highway in south florida. I got my oil changed at firestone last and had gone 4100 miles on this synthetic blend. I was on the highway on a roadtrip runing 93 octane fuel. I went to pass a truck and decided to take a lil pull aswell with the car in map 3 sport mode. I was chillin on cruise control at 75mph and downshifted w a revmatch to 5th and accelerated to about 130 mph then i felt the car start to deaccelerate w my pedal to the floor. No boom or any noise. My car kept running but I was making 0 psi boost and it felt slow as hell. I pulled over thinking it was a leak in the turbo system right before I made it to a stop. I saw black smoke coming out my exhaust. I blew the turbo's axle of the turbine wheel/compressor wheel and that caused all the engine oil to leak out the motor. Engine oil runs around the bearing of this axle to keep it cool and smooth. So now I need a new turbo and new motor estimated at a 10K job. Currently fighting fire stones insurance claiming they put the wrong oil in my car and this happened because i dont want to pay 10K. Pretty disappointed in honda and idk if i feel safe running this tune anymore. I had plans for a aftermarket intercooler, dp/fp, bigger turbo, e85 kit and exhaust. But now i have lost faith in this l15b. Let me know what you think about all this.
why are you disappointed in honda after tuning it and abusing it lol

ATX_Si

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe (gone). 2018 Accord EX-L 1.5t (gone) 2020 Audi Q3 S-Line. 2018 Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT
Country flag
idk man doesn't seem like a case where you can take this out on honda or the engine. but how did you come to the conclusion that they put a synthetic blend in the car when they changed the oil? Also, as much as i'd press for full synthetic on any car with an oil cooled turbo I think consistently high boost coupled with high ambient and intake air temps has more to do with this issue than the oil.

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
First of all. You downshift to 4th when you're on the highway and you want to go wot. 5th would lug the engine.

A turbo failure doesn't necessarily mean you blew the motor. If you kept the engine running after the oil light tripped then yah. Are you 100% sure the motor is gone as well? Has Honda shown you in person the damage?

letsgoMINAJE

First Name
Minaje
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CBP Si Sedan
Country flag
First of all. You downshift to 4th when you're on the highway and you want to go wot. 5th would lug the engine.

A turbo failure doesn't necessarily mean you blew the motor. If you kept the engine running after the oil light tripped then yah. Are you 100% sure the motor is gone as well? Has Honda shown you in person the damage?
lol I was just going to mention that. Definitely drop it to 4th at that speed.

0percentapr

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
You can't abuse your car like that and expect it to live, what car were you driving before this if I may ask?

NorrinRadd

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Manual 1.5T, KTuner + TSP1
Country flag
Yeah, as said, pulls in 5th and 6th are not a great idea, even more so with a tune where you can make much more boost in those gears. You're putting exponential strain on everything. I'm just surprised your engine failed before your clutch did.

I keep my car in TSP 3 pretty much all the time, but I'm extremely careful about being in the correct gear when accelerating and I'm not doing any pulls to 130.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I love my tuned Civic but I also respect the additonal power. I know that I'm adding stress. It's a bit of a risk/reward thing.

Fact: A tune transforms our cars into something vastly improved over the ultra conservative stock tune.

Fact: Base tunes have generally proven safe.

Fact: Even a base tune produces substantially more power than stock.

Fact: 90%+ of tune failures occur due to user error (misuse, neglect, abuse).

OP, sorry this happened to you. But you need to respect the power of the tune. Using Map 3 all the time is generally fine, although surely rough on the clutch. I'm basing that on normal driving. WOT here and there.

Driving like a manic ALL THE TIME and having it in too high a gear at WOT qualifies as both misuse and abuse. This has NOTHING to do with full synthetic versus a synthetic blend. It has everything to do with pushing your tuned car too hard too often.
Sponsored

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.