Blew out tire sidewall, some questions...

rwsmith123

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
There was a good size rock on the road I didn't see and ran over it at around 30mph and it blew out the tire sidewall, other than a little nick the rim doesn't appear to be damaged:

Honda Civic 10th gen Blew out tire sidewall, some questions... IMG_20201225_141504292

I don't have road hazard insurance. I assume that's not going to be covered under the normal tire warranty?

These are the original Continental ContiProContact tires, they have 16K miles on them have been rotated once at around 9k miles and all the tires have about 7/32" of tread remaining (original depth was 9/32). The damaged tire was on the driver front. Should I get just the damaged tire replaced or would it be better to replace both front tires so they are more evenly matched? I have no complaints with the ContiProContact so will keep the same brand.
Sponsored

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Same thing happened to me with my previous civic coupe and I ended up just buying 1 tire to replace the damaged one. It was fine.

hondabandit

First Name
hondaman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 sport hatch
Country flag
After 2 blowouts, I ditched the continentals, and never had problems since.

JasNeo

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si Coupe
Country flag
Most newer passenger car tires usually have about 10/32nds, so getting just one should be fine. I would however recommend rotating the new one to the rear to have the 2 fronts be the same. Even tho it's not much of a depth difference it could cause a bit of a pull.
Sponsored