Status
Not open for further replies.

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wasn't even pushing it hard yesterday and I pulled into a parking lot to link up with some friends, right as I entered the parking lot the tone of my exhaust changed and it sounded like it was coming from the front. After inspecting the engine bay last night I saw a bolt was gone so I'm like oh ok, a bolt got snapped.. nope

Turns out the weld broke off now I got a heart shaped hole... welp.. was planning on getting some more mods and all that but might just go back to stock and save some money and ball out next season.. at least it's not my turbo!!

Also, is it ok that I'm driving for a day with this? Can't get boost, not pushing it hard, but I don't have any way to commute to work right now. Mechanics say it's ok just temporarily but not long term, gonna throw on my old cat saturday morning

Honda Civic 10th gen Blew a hole in my FKX Catless Downpipe IMG_0570.PNG
Honda Civic 10th gen Blew a hole in my FKX Catless Downpipe IMG_0569.JPG

Last edited:

SixSpeeder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si, 2021 Wrangler Unlimited High Altitude
Country flag
Wow, that sucks. I wouldnā€™t drive with a hole in the DP, you could potentially melt hoses and wires in the engine bay causing more damage. Worst case scenario even set your car on fire.

OP
OP
suhhh

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just talked with him on the phone. Andy is a really fucking nice guy, explained to me everything and taught me a lot. This my friends is why you don't run a downpipe without a tune. Really knowledgable and willing to help, got his personal cell and said to let him know if any questions.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just talked with him on the phone. Andy is a really fucking nice guy, explained to me everything and taught me a lot. This my friends is why you don't run a downpipe without a tune. Really knowledgable and willing to help, got his personal cell and said to let him know if any questions.
I would love to hear more about how running an aftermarket downpipe without a tune results in a large hole in the side of it. :hmm:

OP
OP
suhhh

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would love to hear more about how running an aftermarket downpipe without a tune results in a large hole in the side of it. :hmm:
Yeah I can't say I'm not surprised or didn't expect it lol, people on here say running downpipe no tune is ok for a few months but in the end it's not. I'm still young and have a lot to learn about cars and what works and doesn't, this is a good learning experience for me I'm glad that this happened and not something more major

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah I can't say I'm not surprised or didn't expect it lol, people on here say running downpipe no tune is ok for a few months but in the end it's not. I'm still young and have a lot to learn about cars and what works and doesn't, this is a good learning experience for me I'm glad that this happened and not something more major
Were you told that the downpipe failed due to the lack of a custom tune?

websitesdown

First Name
Bee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI , 2023 Civic Sport
Country flag
Now fix it like a man would.

OP
OP
suhhh

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Were you told that the downpipe failed due to the lack of a custom tune?
Yes when I talked to Andy he said there were 2 other people that blew their downpipe, 1 was because of a shitty tune and the other was untuned. Air/fuel ratio is off, car is running lean, shit just got too hot and boom

Can't wait to go back to stock and start beating on it without worry again lol, I pushed my luck for too long.

monstarind

Monstar Industries
First Name
Monstar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.monstarind.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R FK8R
Country flag
Add me to that list.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes when I talked to Andy he said there were 2 other people that blew their downpipe, 1 was because of a shitty tune and the other was untuned. Air/fuel ratio is off, car is running lean, shit just got too hot and boom

Can't wait to go back to stock and start beating on it without worry again lol, I pushed my luck for too long.
Bad tunes can obviously cause various issues but swapping the downpipe on this platform would would have very little, if any, impact on your air fuel ratio. Certainly nothing more than Honda's fuel trim algorithm can handle. Aside from that, if your engine ever ran lean enough to cause the downpipe to fail you would have bigger problems to deal with before it got that far.

Nothing personal, just trying to prevent the spread of incorrect data.

OP
OP
suhhh

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Bad tunes can obviously cause various issues but swapping the downpipe on this platform would would have very little, if any, impact on your air fuel ratio. Certainly nothing more than Honda's fuel trim algorithm can handle. Aside from that, if your engine ever ran lean enough to cause the downpipe to fail you would have bigger problems to deal with before it got that far.

Nothing personal, just trying to prevent the spread of incorrect data.
Thanks for this, I was just going off of what Andy told me, not my intention to spread any misinformation. So is what was stated false then? What would be the reason for the downpipe to pop like that, is that just due to heat or just a manufacturer error?

OP
OP
suhhh

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If it's true this was caused by a bad tune. How can one rule out the possibility of material failure if the place that broke was where the bracket was welded?
Not too sure tbh.. I wasn't tuned though

This downpipe was ran for a total of maybe 5-6k miles

OP
OP
suhhh

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is there possibility that I did permanent damage to my engine from running catless 5-6k miles untuned?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.