First Name
sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Are they even accurate? I was expecting worse ever since I converted it to flex fuel two years ago. Oil strongly smells of fuel but report says I only have mild trace amount. I even use 5w30 oil and they say it reads more like 0w20. doesnt it means my oil is getting diluted bad for running only over 2k miles before oil change?

Honda Civic 10th gen blackstone oil analysis 17 CIVIC SI-221122-df
Sponsored

casper

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Sport Hatchback (6MT)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I would trust their spectrometers over your nose, but more importantly, these oil analyses are most useful when you have a baseline trend established. That way if there’s a deviation from normal you can tell right away. Also mitigates any slim chance of a “bad” measurement.

FWIW, I already have one report from my last oil change, and plan on getting 3 in a row to establish my baseline, and then maybe get an analysis done less frequently or when I change my maintenance habits moving ahead. With the synthetic oil though I’m pretty much going 6 months between oil changes so doing it every oil change really isn’t a big deal, if you care about this sort of thing.

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here are four Blackstone oil analysis for my car. The first three show 0w-20 the third shows 5w-30. It seems in line with what yours is showing though I haven’t pored over them. This is with Mobil 1 EP 5w-30 which is on the thinner side for 5w-30 oils.

Attachments

mega_milk

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 LX
Country flag
Are they even accurate? I was expecting worse ever since I converted it to flex fuel two years ago. Oil strongly smells of fuel but report says I only have mild trace amount. I even use 5w30 oil and they say it reads more like 0w20. doesnt it means my oil is getting diluted bad for running only over 2k miles before oil change?

17 CIVIC SI-221122-df.jpg
Blackstone fuel dilution test is famously inaccurate.

To measure fuel dilution you need to use Gas Chromatography. Blackstone does not do this.

They estimate based on flash point or something like that.

OP
OP
jscm

jscm

First Name
sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Blackstone fuel dilution test is famously inaccurate.

To measure fuel dilution you need to use Gas Chromatography. Blackstone does not do this.

They estimate based on flash point or something like that.
good timing. I just did an oil change today and I was gonna get a sample for blackstone. I guess I am not using their service anymore. this makes perfect sense I have over 3 qts of used oil and it smells like its all fuel but the test results says otherwise.

Nessism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Civic
Country flag
It seems to me, that even if there was oil dilution, as long as the viscosity is good, there is nothing to worry about.

Guitar_stitch

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI, 2006 Honda Element, 2006 Chevy Express
Country flag
Strong fuel smell in oil means it's outgassing. That doesn't tell you anything about the fuel content in solution. (You can't smell a liquid, only the vapors).
Sponsored