Blackstone Oil Analysis Results - Fuel Dilution Problem??

hpbyhermann

First Name
Hermann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Championship white Type R #25133, 09' Civic SI sedan, black 2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca, 1993 Mustang Cobra, 2004 Mustang Cobra
Country flag
I’ve read a lot of people say the type r doesn’t necessarily need a catch can. It doesn’t suffer the same valve issues a lot of VWs and Subaru’s have with their direct injection.
I think otherwise after draining my JLT catch can.....but hey......it's your car.:confused1: I'll be keeping it on mine.:beer:

Honda Civic 10th gen Blackstone Oil Analysis Results - Fuel Dilution Problem?? E0265E2D-48E3-4944-AB74-63F774A97746

Honda Civic 10th gen Blackstone Oil Analysis Results - Fuel Dilution Problem?? DCEAA357-2C04-4E1F-9B2C-BD0685BCE759

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
I just got my 2nd oil analysis back from Blackstone. Car has 12k miles, the oil had ~7500 miles (Amsoil Signature 0w-20). They noted a fuel dilution problem. Has anybody else seen a value this high (3.8%) on a Type R? Is this something I should be concerned about? After reading up on this, I realize now that I did not take the sample properly. I did not drive the car for 20 minutes like Blackstone recommends. I had the car idling for about 8-10 minutes while I set up my ramps and tools, and then took the sample shortly after. This could've contributed some, but I'm really not sure. Any feedback is appreciated.
All of these 10th Gen Honda engines have higher VE and do not heat up as quickly (as other manufacturer engines do). Frequent "short" drives will create a bit more fuel mixed into the oil. Most people have their daily cars and start them up and go to the store or make multiple short trips in one with a few stop and goes. If this is your style, then just increase your oil change intervals and go with a less expensive 0W-20 & filter.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Litfuse

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered CTR
Country flag
Cold start long time idling is never good for a car. I can’t speak specifically to the CTR, but for most cars, they will run very rich when first started. Without being on load, the extra fuel is going down the cylinder into the crankcase. My bet is your oil analysis is off.

PwrOfDreams

It ain't a Type R then it ain't a tight car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Other
Country flag
I just got my 2nd oil analysis back from Blackstone. Car has 12k miles, the oil had ~7500 miles (Amsoil Signature 0w-20). They noted a fuel dilution problem. Has anybody else seen a value this high (3.8%) on a Type R? Is this something I should be concerned about? After reading up on this, I realize now that I did not take the sample properly. I did not drive the car for 20 minutes like Blackstone recommends. I had the car idling for about 8-10 minutes while I set up my ramps and tools, and then took the sample shortly after. This could've contributed some, but I'm really not sure. Any feedback is appreciated.

upload_2020-2-21_13-12-44.png
You probably need to drive the car on a long continuous distance from time to time. We use the same oil and I have more miles on my car plus longer oil change interval then you do. Only small traces of fuel dilution detected. Every other week I take a 2 hour long drive just to enjoy the drive and get the car to proper temps to burn off the fuel in the oil.

Jonno426

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sonic Gray Type R
Country flag
I think otherwise after draining my JLT catch can.....but hey......it's your car.:confused1: I'll be keeping it on mine.:beer:

E0265E2D-48E3-4944-AB74-63F774A97746.jpeg

DCEAA357-2C04-4E1F-9B2C-BD0685BCE759.jpeg
How tight do you tighten the can? I tried to tighten it to the point where there was no more gap between the lid and can and I had to use a filter wrench to get it off.

Otherwise there is a gap between the lid and can. Do you just do it like an oil filter? O ring contact and an extra 3/4 turn or so?

felipe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T 1.5T 6M, 2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6M, 1997 Honda Accord LX 5M
Country flag
My car is stock, I drive it everyday, and I always run 93 octane. My driving distance is usually 20 minutes minimum, I rarely have short trips around town. My typical commute is mostly back roads which I prefer to drive in a spirited fashion, however I never drive the car hard until it is properly warmed up.
Same my car is stock other than catch can, I drive would everyday before corona I also use 93 octane. My drive is 36 miles each way mainly back roads a little city driving and almost no short trips. For oil dilution the lowest I have had is 4.60% but as high as 8.30% I also use OEM oil + filter and do oil changes at 5K. I have gotten viscosity warnings with my oil analysis reports from Apex. Over all I don't believe Honda or the dealer saying that I do oil changes to early if I am having issues like this or saying that there is nothing wrong.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
So how much does an oik analysis cost? And what are the recommended frequencies and when to do them?

felipe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T 1.5T 6M, 2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6M, 1997 Honda Accord LX 5M
Country flag
So how much does an oik analysis cost? And what are the recommended frequencies and when to do them?
I use Apex Oil Lab, I buy the test branded with Merchant Automotive which are just rebranded Apex test kits. I get them for 29.50 with shipping. I was doing the every other oil change so every 10k but the oil dilution has been getting worse so I have been doing them every 5k. The good thing about Apex is you can see analysis trends which will be most accurate doing it every oil change but it gets expensive. I feel like it is up to you when you want to do it so you can track how the engine is wearing over time.

OP
OP

TheSnakeJake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
just an update to this thread... had my 3rd oil analysis done. there is still some fuel dilution, but i'm no longer concerned about it.

Honda Civic 10th gen Blackstone Oil Analysis Results - Fuel Dilution Problem?? Screenshot 2021-02-03 100847
Sponsored