Blackstone Oil Analysis Results - Fuel Dilution Problem??

TheSnakeJake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
I just got my 2nd oil analysis back from Blackstone. Car has 12k miles, the oil had ~7500 miles (Amsoil Signature 0w-20). They noted a fuel dilution problem. Has anybody else seen a value this high (3.8%) on a Type R? Is this something I should be concerned about? After reading up on this, I realize now that I did not take the sample properly. I did not drive the car for 20 minutes like Blackstone recommends. I had the car idling for about 8-10 minutes while I set up my ramps and tools, and then took the sample shortly after. This could've contributed some, but I'm really not sure. Any feedback is appreciated.

Honda Civic 10th gen Blackstone Oil Analysis Results - Fuel Dilution Problem?? upload_2020-2-21_13-12-44
Sponsored

DRKSYD

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I just got my 2nd oil analysis back from Blackstone. Car has 12k miles, the oil had ~7500 miles (Amsoil Signature 0w-20). They noted a fuel dilution problem. Has anybody else seen a value this high (3.8%) on a Type R? Is this something I should be concerned about? After reading up on this, I realize now that I did not take the sample properly. I did not drive the car for 20 minutes like Blackstone recommends. I had the car idling for about 8-10 minutes while I set up my ramps and tools, and then took the sample shortly after. This could've contributed some, but I'm really not sure. Any feedback is appreciated.

upload_2020-2-21_13-12-44.png
Are you tuned? Whats type of driving do you do? e.g., short/long distance, cold/hot?

OP
OP

TheSnakeJake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
Are you tuned? Whats type of driving do you do? e.g., short/long distance, cold/hot?
My car is stock, I drive it everyday, and I always run 93 octane. My driving distance is usually 20 minutes minimum, I rarely have short trips around town. My typical commute is mostly back roads which I prefer to drive in a spirited fashion, however I never drive the car hard until it is properly warmed up.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was under the impression the 2.0 engines did not have any oil dilution issues, but who knows. I’m not knowledgeable enough to say if not doing what they recommended would lead to these results or not. Concerning though. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can chime in.

sLing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Warming it up prior just make the oil change faster.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag

upload_2020-2-21_13-12-44.png
If you can afford a Type_R, and an oil analysis from Blackstone, and have a concern, you cannot afford not to get another analysis now : after driving the car at Highway speeds for a good 20 minutes (the longer the better) , to get the true condition of your Oil Dilution.

As you say, "had the car idling for about 8-10 minutes while I set up my ramps and tools, and then took the sample shortly after. This could've contributed some, but I'm really not sure."
So you cannot "be sure", so get the test done again now correctly -- not only for now, but just as importantly, as a baseline for your next test in ?000 miles .

OP
OP

TheSnakeJake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
If you can afford a Type_R, and an oil analysis from Blackstone, and have a concern, you cannot afford not to get another analysis now : after driving the car at Highway speeds for a good 20 minutes (the longer the better) , to get the true condition of your Oil Dilution.

As you say, "had the car idling for about 8-10 minutes while I set up my ramps and tools, and then took the sample shortly after. This could've contributed some, but I'm really not sure."
So you cannot "be sure", so get the test done again now correctly -- not only for now, but just as importantly, as a baseline for your next test in ?000 miles .
I will definitely be getting another lab analysis done, but I can't do it until I've put some miles on this fresh oil. Getting it done now would be pointles .

DRKSYD

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
My car is stock, I drive it everyday, and I always run 93 octane. My driving distance is usually 20 minutes minimum, I rarely have short trips around town. My typical commute is mostly back roads which I prefer to drive in a spirited fashion, however I never drive the car hard until it is properly warmed up.
So technically that's still a short trip. Warmed up via the gauge isn't really warmed up...if you get what I mean. The FK8 has numerous posts on running rich, from the factory. Could be a combo. of fuel, temps. etc. You're running the same oil as I am, I don't think you have an issue other than being in a cold climate. My fuel economy improved to ~28mpg after mods and stage 1 on a Ktuner. My guess is that some OEM cars run rich from the factory. You might be getting some dilution. I dumped mine at ~2100 miles (OEM Fill), you may have carryover or a sampling issue too.

I have a lot of stuff that changed since pulling the first sample, and the tune itself. Will have an eTune on top of it going into my second change at that point.

Honda Civic 10th gen Blackstone Oil Analysis Results - Fuel Dilution Problem?? upload_2020-2-21_14-53-32

View attachment 200694

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
I will definitely be getting another lab analysis done, but I can't do it until I've put some miles on this fresh oil. Getting it done now would be pointles .
OMG -- I missed that -- You changed the oil !! Duhhhh
Test it now with NEW oil, and probably 0.001% OD !!!

OP
OP

TheSnakeJake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
One thing I forgot to mention... I did not notice an increase in oil level on my dipstick. In fact, i added about 0.3 quart at around 5k miles on the oil to bring the level back near the top dot on the dipstick.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
One thing I forgot to mention... I did not notice an increase in oil level on my dipstick. In fact, i added about 0.3 quart at around 5k miles on the oil to bring the level back near the top dot on the dipstick.
You may not be aware of how much oil you may be loosing, being feed out of the crankcase, and back into the engine, through the Intake valves .. unless you have fitted a catch can, and it is working and collecting that oil ( and water )

I get the impression that Type-R owners who have fitted Catch cans and drive there car hard, collect considerably more in their catch can than those that drive lesser HP civics in a more sedate manner.

OP
OP

TheSnakeJake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
You may not be aware of how much oil you may be loosing, being feed out of the crankcase, and back into the engine, through the Intake valves .. unless you have fitted a catch can, and it is working and collecting that oil ( and water )

I get the impression that Type-R owners who have fitted Catch cans and drive there car hard, collect considerably more in their catch can than those that drive lesser HP civics in a more sedate manner.
Thank you for mentioning the catch can. I do indeed have the JLT catch can installed. I emptied it twice during this oil interval but have only collected very small amounts, probably a tablespoon or two each time.

frodooftheshire

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRX series gray
Country flag
I’ve read a lot of people say the type r doesn’t necessarily need a catch can. It doesn’t suffer the same valve issues a lot of VWs and Subaru’s have with their direct injection.

DRKSYD

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
OMG -- I missed that -- You changed the oil !! Duhhhh
Test it now with NEW oil, and probably 0.001% OD !!!
Huh? Why would you test the new oil?

Might as well just draw a sample from the bottle, tells you zero.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I’ve read a lot of people say the type r doesn’t necessarily need a catch can. It doesn’t suffer the same valve issues a lot of VWs and Subaru’s have with their direct injection.
It may not "NEED" a Catch Can, it may not "Need" a lot of things that get added as MODS by owners.
A Catch Can then is more of a Diagnostic tool -- not really needed until it start to indicate that something is wrong.

I fitted a catch can to my Si, It collects next to nothing. Did I waste my money getting and fitting one ?

No more than I waste money buying many other things in life .

What the Catch-Can does for me is to Monitor what oil "could" have been washing over my Intake valves and coking them up, and when I see only a small amount of oil and water vapor in the can (assuming the can is trapping the oil correctly) it gives me a degree of coincidence that I will not need to be having an expensive "walnut" job on my head, at any time in the near or distant future.

A the BLUE hoses look attractive !!! (or whatever you want to call it !! )

Honda Civic 10th gen Blackstone Oil Analysis Results - Fuel Dilution Problem?? 20190907_173630
Sponsored

Last edited: